Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818206 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9285 on: December 23, 2011, 09:08:56 am »

I've been exploring the galaxy a bit more. One day, as I was checking up on my explorers, I noticed that one of the jump points I'd uncovered had a jump gate on it. A jump gate that I hadn't built. "Ah-ha!" I said to myself, "There must be aliens about!" So I sent my explorer to jump through the gate. I jumped into the system of Temple Balsall. It's a bit of an odd system. A secondary star is orbiting the primary star. However, the primary star also has another planet in orbit past the secondary star. ie It's even further out. Sadly, Temple Balsall proved to be empty of any life forms. So I turned back to Gardeny, which was the system where I first noticed the jump gate. Taking a closer look, I noticed something odd there. It was a quad star system, with a secondary star orbiting the primary, and then both stars had another star orbiting them. "Gazooks!" I said to myself (I really ought to stop doing that) "This star system must have been made by precursors!" Of course, I had no idea if the precursors could even do such things, but it sounded like something they'd do. Eventually I found a precursor vessel orbiting Star-D. I know that it's a precursor vessel because it was freaking huge, and there were no colonies in the Gardeny system. Sure, my sensor tech is crap, but I should be able to find a colony if my ships are right above the planet.

Of course, I can't attack the precursors right away. Since my sensor tech is so terrible, I've been developing a dedicated sensor ship to tag along with my fancy new destroyers (Which now have shields! Yes!). Eventually I'll have to design a supply/jump ship to extend the range of my destroyers, but that's in the future, along with my plans for cruisers and battleships.

Colonization is going perfectly. I have around 5 extra-solar colonies set up, all with 0 colonization cost. I'm just waiting to produce all the extra industry so that they can start producing ships and minerals for the war effort.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: December 23, 2011, 11:59:30 am »

There are three ways to find the ruins if you DO have them:

Easiest, is the System Information map. It'll appear under "Populations".

Another way is selecting the body in the Economics window.

Lastly, In the left box of the System Map window, select "Display 2", and it should be near the bottom.

Also if you have precursors turned on they like to position their ships right on top of ruins, usually.

That PD ship looks pretty decent actually, I personally prefer guass cannons but its all based on preference.

My fleets usually have a couple or more Guass PD ships and then One Missile PD ship that carries all the missile detecting sensors and has increased armor due to its increased importance.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: December 23, 2011, 12:54:09 pm »

Unfortunately, all of this has ground to a halt as I've encountered a game destroying bug. The details are at the Aurora forums if anyone can assist.

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that spamming orders can cause Aurora to freeze.  Just don't do that, and you'll be fine.

I don't have much faith in your jump tenders surviving if hostiles are present.  Twelve shots at hitting missiles is an assist, not a PD field in itself.  Personally, I treat my jump tenders as expendable.  In fact, I sometimes abstain from rescuing my jump tender if the system is hot because I'm afraid the aliens will follow my jump tender.

To add more tonnage, I'd suggest adding docking bays/hangers.  Then you can move more ships at one time.  With 2000 tons of shipcarrying space, you can bring along a ship with the same laser power as your current vessel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: December 23, 2011, 01:44:20 pm »

Unfortunately, all of this has ground to a halt as I've encountered a game destroying bug. The details are at the Aurora forums if anyone can assist.

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that spamming orders can cause Aurora to freeze.  Just don't do that, and you'll be fine.

I don't have much faith in your jump tenders surviving if hostiles are present.  Twelve shots at hitting missiles is an assist, not a PD field in itself.  Personally, I treat my jump tenders as expendable.  In fact, I sometimes abstain from rescuing my jump tender if the system is hot because I'm afraid the aliens will follow my jump tender.

To add more tonnage, I'd suggest adding docking bays/hangers.  Then you can move more ships at one time.  With 2000 tons of shipcarrying space, you can bring along a ship with the same laser power as your current vessel.

Regarding the orders: I never use more than 200x repeat, as I've found that any more than that tends to consistently generate overflow errors. I've never encounted this particular one, though.

Also: Research all of the smaller 'core' components as soon as you can. I tend to fill out my ships to nice, round numbers by tossing in small eng spaces, small fuel storage, etc., and small crew quarters/command modules not only save space when you're just over a multiple of 250 crew, but are required for fighters and all-but required for FACs and light frigates.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: December 23, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »

Regarding the orders: I never use more than 200x repeat, as I've found that any more than that tends to consistently generate overflow errors. I've never encounted this particular one, though.

Also: Research all of the smaller 'core' components as soon as you can. I tend to fill out my ships to nice, round numbers by tossing in small eng spaces, small fuel storage, etc., and small crew quarters/command modules not only save space when you're just over a multiple of 250 crew, but are required for fighters and all-but required for FACs and light frigates.

I only pressed it a few times! In quick succession mind you, but I digress...

Is there a way to fix it without baleeting all my saves?

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: December 23, 2011, 06:34:01 pm »

Give me x ammounts of steps to get started on this. In Denmark we denote decimals with , so is there any way i can get around that without having to change everything i nmy language settings? Also Win7 64bit
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: December 23, 2011, 06:38:24 pm »

I don't think so. Last I checked you need to have the . decimal mark  :(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: December 23, 2011, 07:14:08 pm »

If you can make seperate accounts on your computer, you might be able to set one of them to the . decimal mark, while keeping your main one with the , decimal separator. Unless regional settings apply to all accounts, then I can't help you, and this is a really impractical way to go about it anyway.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: December 23, 2011, 08:53:56 pm »

I only pressed it a few times! In quick succession mind you, but I digress...

Is there a way to fix it without baleeting all my saves?

Yeah, it was the quick succession that caused the intial bug (quick succession is what I'm referring to as "spamming").  It shouldn't affect your other saves, just the game in which you hit the button too quickly for the game to handle.

How exactly did you destroy the ships with spacemaster?  It would determine what information the game is lacking in order to process your turn (which I suppose is the real reason your game is now frozen).

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: December 23, 2011, 10:16:04 pm »

In the display tabs in the solar system view I navigated down the military listings to the individual ships, right clicked to open ship only (NOT fleet) options, and selected destroy ship. It was the one that left no wreck, since the two were similiar and I cannot remember off the top of my head.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: December 24, 2011, 03:47:10 am »

Check your fleet orders, delete any orders for the fleet with no ships, see if that helps.

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: December 24, 2011, 04:26:42 am »

Could've sworn I tried that already! Deleting the Task Group fixed it. Now, if someone could tell me how to spawn ships using SM... Gotta make up them bug-related losses, you know!  :P

EDIT: To clarify, the fleet's orders were somehow cleared. This is what enabled me to delete it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:28:52 am by Scout1 »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9297 on: December 24, 2011, 05:05:58 am »

You may need to be in sm mpode for this

create an empty task group
go to the main menu bar and select fast order of battle
select the taskgroup and ship you want to spawn
spawn ships.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: December 24, 2011, 12:09:59 pm »

October 2037, 22 years after start, and the NPR has found me. I won't have Ion engines till September 2038, and they've already got 2 survey ships and a 2100 thermal contact ship in Sol, and at best I'll have a basic EW frigate out by mid-2039. At least they aren't hostile.

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckthey'llspawnnprsreallyclosetome

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9299 on: December 24, 2011, 01:02:53 pm »

Design a PDC with missile launchers and a 2 stage drone with a lot of warheads with active sensors then launch a fuckton at them from your planet. :P
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 1347