Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818212 times)

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9270 on: December 22, 2011, 10:38:43 pm »

How do I see civilian shipping lines/stats? There's import/export info in wealth/trade, but that doesn't seem to list actual civilian operations anywhere. I got an event stating a new line opened up, so...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9271 on: December 22, 2011, 10:56:40 pm »

On the System Map window, it's the button just right of the Geological Survey button, and just left of the Sectors button.

The hotkey is also Ctrl+L.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9272 on: December 22, 2011, 11:15:19 pm »

Whenever I accumulate absurd amounts of wealth I hit the subsidize button about ten times to get rid of it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: December 22, 2011, 11:21:14 pm »

That only works until you start earning more than your patience can tolerate.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: December 22, 2011, 11:28:21 pm »

Ah well while I'm at it, how can I find/tell if I've found ruins? I've heard Mars often has such ruins, but have never seen any during my geological surveys, unless that info is hidden in some sub-menu...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: December 22, 2011, 11:33:58 pm »

Mars does not start with ruins unless you've put them there.

There are three ways to find the ruins if you DO have them:

Easiest, is the System Information map. It'll appear under "Populations".

Another way is selecting the body in the Economics window.

Lastly, In the left box of the System Map window, select "Display 2", and it should be near the bottom.

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: December 22, 2011, 11:37:38 pm »

Hrm, well then. Is there any reason to establish a colony on a planet with no resources?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: December 22, 2011, 11:42:29 pm »

Habitable planet  = taxable population = wealth.

Also, planets that are habitable but have no resources are good to use as sources of colonists, rather than taking them from industrialized worlds.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: December 23, 2011, 01:22:49 am »

All right, while I'm (still) at it, what kind of fire control/active sensors do I need? Assume a small (<10k ton) ship with triple 12cm laser turrets designed to track at 16000km/s. I have a pimp active sensor that can detect out to good range, and a fire control designed to track at 16000km/s. Assuming I want the lasers to act as dual PD/offensive weapon, I'll need a good active sensor, a sensor with low resolution, and the one fire control for all functionability, yes? Will I need duplicates as failsafes/backups? Will I need anything else? Can somebody post examples?

Thanks~

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: December 23, 2011, 01:27:40 am »

It sounds like you've got all the basics down, actually. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you've got all the basics.

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: December 23, 2011, 01:52:47 am »

Well, I double checked everything and threw on a second fire control so I could track two volleys independently, or split guns between missiles and a target. How'm I looking, now? The reactor technically has power for four turrets, but I dropped the fourth on the jump tender since it was compromising other things, namely speed and armor. There are some inefficiencies with things such as range/size of the fire control, but I think it's good enough to go ahead with instead of waiting a few more months to design a new, custom one. It's January 2034 (from a... 2020 start, I think?), and this is going to be my first vessel I build aside from some commercial freighters (set up desperately needed mining facilities) and gravitational/geological survey craft. I plan to build several smaller/faster vessels to act as pure combat destroyers, but I hope this is able to defend itself at least during an initial jump through an unscouted jump point. Ideas and criticisms, gentlemen?

Crusher class Jump Tender    9,850 tons     993 Crew     1908 BP      TCS 197  TH 300  EM 0
1522 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 4-40     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 7     PPV 49.32
Maint Life 2.43 Years     MSP 847    AFR 110%    IFR 1.5%    1YR 198    5YR 2972    Max Repair 400 MSP

J10000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 10000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Ion Engine E9 (5)    Power 60    Fuel Use 90%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 50.7 billion km   (385 days at full power)

Triple 12cm C4 Visible Light Laser Turret (3x3)    Range 80,000km     TS: 16000 km/s     Power 12-12     RM 2    ROF 5        4 4 2 2 1 1 1 1 0 0
Fire Control S16 128-16000 (2)    Max Range: 256,000 km   TS: 16000 km/s     96 92 88 84 80 77 73 69 65 61
Gas-Cooled Fast Reactor Technology PB-1 (1)     Total Power Output 49.5    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR12-R100 (1)     GPS 1600     Range 12.8m km    Resolution 100
Active Search Sensor Anti-Missile MR1-R1 (1)     GPS 16     Range 1.8m km    Resolution 1

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: December 23, 2011, 02:53:05 am »

It's a bit on the slow side, but if you just want the weapons for defence while it ferries ships across jump points that doesn't matter that much. Note that the maximum sized ship a tender can carry through is the minimum of the jump drive's rating and the ship's size, so you might as well add another 2 or 3 fuel tanks or engineering spaces on to fill it out to 10,000 tons. Your power generator is also a bit oversized (provides 49, you only need 36), but that doesn't matter too much.

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: December 23, 2011, 03:04:08 am »

It's a bit on the slow side, but if you just want the weapons for defence while it ferries ships across jump points that doesn't matter that much. Note that the maximum sized ship a tender can carry through is the minimum of the jump drive's rating and the ship's size, so you might as well add another 2 or 3 fuel tanks or engineering spaces on to fill it out to 10,000 tons. Your power generator is also a bit oversized (provides 49, you only need 36), but that doesn't matter too much.

I thought I couldn't fit any more crew/engineering because I was huddling the 1000 crew line and had so little tonnage left. I tweaked it though and it seems I can fit one more engineering space, but have to throw in another crew quarters. Not a great improvement, but it helps a bit. As for the reactor, yes it is inefficient, but I had expected to be equipping it with 4 turrets. I also hoped the tender would be able to contribute a bit in the case of a knife-fight on the jump point, not having to fall back immediately or risk exploding, as well as providing moderate point defense. Luckily it all fell into place with my destroyer:

Silent Death class Destroyer    9,850 tons     999 Crew     1557.8 BP      TCS 197  TH 600  EM 0
3045 km/s     Armour 5-40     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 10     PPV 65.76
Maint Life 5.36 Years     MSP 988    AFR 77%    IFR 1.1%    1YR 58    5YR 865    Max Repair 307 MSP

Ion Engine E9 (10)    Power 60    Fuel Use 90%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 500,000 Litres    Range 101.5 billion km   (385 days at full power)

Triple 12cm C4 Visible Light Laser Turret (4x3)    Range 80,000km     TS: 16000 km/s     Power 12-12     RM 2    ROF 5        4 4 2 2 1 1 1 1 0 0
Fire Control S16 128-16000 (1)    Max Range: 256,000 km   TS: 16000 km/s     96 92 88 84 80 77 73 69 65 61
Gas-Cooled Fast Reactor Technology PB-1 (1)     Total Power Output 49.5    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR12-R100 (2)     GPS 1600     Range 12.8m km    Resolution 100
Active Search Sensor Anti-Missile MR1-R1 (1)     GPS 16     Range 1.8m km    Resolution 1

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

They should have 25% more armor and more than twice the speed! Additionally, lower tonnage needs due to the lack of a jump drive means that they will be able to be deployed in the field longer, as they carry more maintenance supplies.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9283 on: December 23, 2011, 04:31:38 am »

Instead of a single massive reactor, instead I'd design one that provides enough power for a single turret then just add one per turret on the class. Not only does this stop the wasted space you have on the jump ship but it also gives some redundancy as if your reactor is taken out you loose all power and so can't fire, while if a single turret reactor was taken out there is still power to fire albiet at a reduced rate of fire.

Get your jump ship up to 10,000 tons, use empty crew quarters if you need to.

You have a good level of engineering spaces, enough to make reasonable field repairs and a long maintainance life.

Five armour is not bad for a light beam brawler, but expect to take casualties if you have to survive performing a jump point assault. You are really only going to be able to improve this via researching your armour tech.

You have from my view a somewhat excessive level of fuel carried. Drop it down to 100,000 liters on each ship and have a fuel tanker/maintainance supply ship acompany the destroyer group. It can be detatched and left on the near side of a jump point before you jump and the carried supplies will let your destroyers repair damage without reducing their maintainance life. The saved space along with the 150 tons you have before you hit your jump size limit should be enough to get another layer of armour.

Your destroyer has a surplus r100 sensor. Actually I'd be inclined to drop the r100 sensors entirely from the destroyers and make the r1 larger to fit whatever space you have left on the class. You will only see missiles at around 11% of the listed range of your r1 sensor, so increasing it's range allows you to pick them up further away which also allows time for your missile tracking bonus to build up. Create a sensor variant of the destroyer with one less turret but with a r100 and r16 sensors and large thermal/em sensors. You could do this on the jump tender by getting rid of the extra fire control but it's slow speed would hamper the destroyers from operating in-system.

I'd cut the firecontrols down to 2x range, then mount 2 of them on each ship. While you will lose a bit of accuracy at you max range, that range is small enough that you should really be able to move up closer to a target ship while firing, as you are not going to be outranging anybody.

A priority research should be upgrading your laser frequency from visible light. You need your lasers range to be over 150,000 km to stand a chance of getting two shots off at missiles traveling at 30,000 km/s. As it is you should probably be setting your firecontrols to final defensive fire rather than area defence.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: December 23, 2011, 05:02:57 am »

Yep, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately on the destroyer I screwed up and added two long-range actives instead of two fire controls. Additionally I'd like to say this is early game (as in first time leaving the solar system) so I don't expect to encounter any missiles going 30,000km/s+. If I do, they're either WH1 or I'm massively outteched and screwed anyway, probably both. As for laser research, it is indeed in the works! I'll end up retrofitting these ships, probably.

Unfortunately, all of this has ground to a halt as I've encountered a game destroying bug. The details are at the Aurora forums if anyone can assist.
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1347