Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818303 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9240 on: December 20, 2011, 01:44:41 pm »

I've had no difficulty, once I got it installed properly. One thing is, I don't even run it as an administrator. I'm not really very familiar with the pre-gameplay issues people have, as I never encountered them myself.  :-\

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9241 on: December 21, 2011, 12:47:07 am »

I ran a savescum "combat simulation" on the precursors i found in ross 254 in order to discover what problems my current batch of ships have, discovered some flaws in my strategy and designs, and encountered a few odd things.
Firstly my shields seemed totally useless, despite many missiles hitting the test ship for 8 damage, taking huge chunks from the armour my shields just continued charging, not taking or absorbing any damage (they were up to 5 strength by the time i finished off the precursors), do shields not work untill they have fully charged? I seem to recall in the last version having shields taking hits with only fractional remaining power.
Also half my fleet had not enough crew space, but seemed to function fine, does undersized crew space merely affect combat effectiveness, thereby causing problems when a crew quarter is destroyed by missiles, but otherwise not really being much of a problem?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9242 on: December 21, 2011, 01:02:01 am »

1. Shields should always contribute as much blocking potential as possible.

2. It should be outright impossible to build a design that has any of the grey design errors, including lack of crew space, unless you're talking about battle damage, in which case IDK, but I'd assume that it doesn't affect anything.

However, I'm still on the previous version so things might have changed. On another note, you should start charging shields pretty much as soon as you know there are enemy ships in-system, as uncharged shields are a waste of tonnage, and charged ones don't drain much fuel.

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9243 on: December 21, 2011, 01:24:57 am »

I might be wrong about the crew, it seems fine now and i don't remember fixing that class.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9244 on: December 21, 2011, 03:00:06 am »

I've finally completed the last of what I need for formal 1st and 2nd Divisions, excepting a second modern Major General to lead the 2nd Division.

Also, just got my first wave of jump capable survey ships out there, and oh boy but am I grinning. Also have already picked up 4 new JPs in two of the systems, so I'll pop into those to check for hostiles then maybe post a galmap tomorrow.  :D

3. Run Resize Enable

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9245 on: December 21, 2011, 06:19:16 am »

You do know that looking makes them appear, right?

Aurora's NPCs are like Schrodinger's cat.
(excepting the ones that are created at game start, 1 by default)

...But you are probably looking for a fight, given your completed fleet.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9246 on: December 21, 2011, 10:35:03 am »

Oh, yes, I know. But my characters and empire don't.    ;D

Besides, a little side dish of mutual xenocide goes well with the giant slice of roast called extrasolar expansionism.

3. Run Resize Enable

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9247 on: December 21, 2011, 11:11:47 pm »

I'm sure this has already been asked somewhere (not that I could find it), but how do I unfuck the galactic map? I found 3 jump points in the Sol system and in the galactic map they're all squished one on top of each other, hugging Sol as close as they possibly can.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9248 on: December 21, 2011, 11:16:30 pm »

Shift-click to move them.

Select the Sys Pos (System Position) box in the top-left and select Save Positions to... well, save the current positions of the systems.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9249 on: December 21, 2011, 11:29:36 pm »

Shift-click to move them.

Select the Sys Pos (System Position) box in the top-left and select Save Positions to... well, save the current positions of the systems.

Lovely, thank you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9250 on: December 21, 2011, 11:54:57 pm »

So I've found a number of great worlds within the first ring of JPs, and I'm thinking about a long term turtle strategy. In that vein, I'm sketching out rough designs for future ships and stations, and I was wondering if anyone with experience with fuel harvesters could answer a few questions. Namely:

1. Is it better to build them with an OH module (allowing them to be produced with industry) or without (saving on tonnage)?

2. Is it better to build them as self-reliant platforms (a few engines, etc. to allow them to self-propel) or use tugs to ferry them around?

3. Run Resize Enable

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9251 on: December 22, 2011, 02:52:53 am »

IŽd say built them with engines... after all, stars move and... why not take advantage of the fuel you have.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9252 on: December 22, 2011, 04:11:16 am »

I'd set them up as platforms as they are going to be stationary almost the entire time. It also means you practically never need to update or refit the design as none of the modules on a refining platform aside from possibly the armour will ever need to be updated.

I tend to build them with shipyards rather than putting a superfluous habitat module on them and building with industry as I usually have better things for my industry to be building, and I frequently have a civilian shipyard that would produce colony ships/freighters idle once I've created my small number of government freighters/colony ships, that can be retooled to produce them without impacting other construction..
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9253 on: December 22, 2011, 08:34:31 am »

Has anyone found a successful strategy to automate fuel harvesting and recovery from a gas giant? One that they have tested and which works without any input? I generally made my fuel harvesters goddamn huge complexes which stored several million liters of fuel and just manually sent a tanker fleet once a year to recover it but even that gets tedious.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9254 on: December 22, 2011, 09:20:43 am »

I think there are special standing orders for that...No that wouldn't help,
tankers would just go to the nearest source of fuel, probably the place they just dumped their cargo at and refuel there.
fuel just needs some micromanagement.

In any case you do need to set your skymine as a tanker.
The best automation I see is setting a tanker(-fleet) to a cycling route, but set the speed of it so, that the amount of fuel transported is equal or lower than the fuel produced.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 1347