Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818377 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9165 on: December 13, 2011, 10:40:32 pm »

Also, is there a way to remove researched tech, like the first engines or bad in general designs and such when I find them useless. I kinda instant researched in some stuff before I was done with it.

No, but you can mark techs as obsolete, and tell the game to hide them from you on ship design.

Incorrect.

1.Turn on SM Mode.
2.Open Economics window.
3.Open Research tab.
4.Under the 'Technology Description' section, click the check circle labelled 'Completed'.
5.Go to the section of technology the module in question would fall under (ex. a Nuclear Thermal E10 drive would be under Power and Propulsion.).
6.Select the technology or ship module you wish to delete from your race.
7.Click the button labelled 'Remove'.

However, it isn't really necessary to do this for outdated ship modules, as you can just obsolete them (as EuchreJack noted) to get them to disappear from the Class Design window. What this is useful for is if you accidentally instant researched a technology, or if you want to delete one for RP reasons.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9166 on: December 13, 2011, 11:40:48 pm »

Yeah, I forgot about that, thanks.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9167 on: December 14, 2011, 03:02:10 am »

I only knew about it in the first place because I keep accidentally clicking 'instant' instead of 'create' for research projects after I've forgotten to close SM Mode.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9168 on: December 14, 2011, 10:31:41 am »

What do I research to get automated mines/mass drivers and put them places.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9169 on: December 14, 2011, 10:36:54 am »

You shouldn't need to....  You are starting in Conventional?
You need to research that ascension thing under Construction/Production.

Or you just need to close your population/economic screen and reopen it.  Alternative is to use the dropdown, click on something else, then go back to Installations.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9170 on: December 14, 2011, 10:37:39 am »

No research required, unless you're doing a conventional start. You just have to build them from your construction factories. And then load them up onto a cargo ship and put them down where you want them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9171 on: December 14, 2011, 10:43:38 am »

Oh. Was looking for the screen to construct them, couldn't find it. But I just found it now so, gonna make some. What is a good number? I know I need 1 mass driver on earth, and one on the other body, but as for mines, I dunno.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:56:57 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9172 on: December 14, 2011, 10:55:11 am »

A quadrillion should last you a while.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9173 on: December 14, 2011, 11:16:08 am »

Depends on what you're mining and the concentration (and how bad you need the minerals). An automine cranks out as much minerals as a regular mine, so a couple hundred makes a decent little mining facility. If it's a really mineral-heavy planet, I'd up that considerably. In games where Venus is mineral-rich, I'll wind up with 800-1000 automines on it.

You'll need one mass driver per 5,000 tons of mineral per year. You'll know you have too few drivers if you see a stockpile building up on the rock you're mining (remember to select a mass driver destination from the mining screen once the drivers are placed). Also, placing a good number more drivers than you actually need generates faster mineral packets. If you're near or at capacity, the packet will be 1000 km/s. If your driver capacity is way above the actual mineral output, the packets will be considerably faster. This can be of use if the mining target is a long ways away fromm your target (say, in a distant binary system where the packet has to travel double-digit AUs)

Also you'll need at least one mass driver on the receiving end as well.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9174 on: December 14, 2011, 11:37:43 am »

Do you need multiple receiving Mass Drivers at the receiving end?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9175 on: December 14, 2011, 11:54:02 am »

Do you need multiple receiving Mass Drivers at the receiving end?
Just 1 is enough on the receiving end...  having 0 has some 'fun' results...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9176 on: December 14, 2011, 12:21:18 pm »

In related news, still waiting for the functionality to allow me to strap engines to asteroids and use them for planetary bombardment.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9177 on: December 14, 2011, 12:29:38 pm »

From an efficiency standpoint you want as few automines as possible. Mines cost roughly half as much resources and use population to run, so use manned mines whenever possible. I only ever use automines on uninhabitable rocks where its not feasible to set up an orbital colony.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9178 on: December 14, 2011, 01:07:57 pm »

From an efficiency standpoint you want as few automines as possible. Mines cost roughly half as much resources and use population to run, so use manned mines whenever possible. I only ever use automines on uninhabitable rocks where its not feasible to set up an orbital colony.
Except that large-scale mining (say in the 800-1000 mine range like I was discussing) requires impracticably large habitats (or clusters of habitats).

800 automines:
Construction cost:
192000 credits
96000 Duranium
96000 Corundium

800 mines + 40 million population + an orbital habitat capable of housing 40 million (with no extra armor, CIWS, sensors, etc.):

192005.5 credits
108842 Duranium
10158.5 Neutronium
5 Corbomite
40000 Boronide
48000 Corundium
81000 Mercassium

Also, said orbital habitat is going to be a whopping 200 *MILLION* tons. It's going to take a while to get towed there. I imagine you could improve on the efficiency of this by doing say, 10 habitats that house 4 million each (but that still works out to roughly 200 million tons of vessel to be built and moved). Said habitat is also going to stand out like a neon light on enemy sensors. It'd be interesting to crunch the numbers at various thresholds (50 mines, 100, 150, 250, 500, 1000) and see if there's a Pareto-optimal curve for orbitals+mines vs. automines.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9179 on: December 14, 2011, 01:38:06 pm »

Except that large-scale mining (say in the 800-1000 mine range like I was discussing) requires impracticably large habitats (or clusters of habitats).
That's why I said 'where its not feasible to set up an orbital colony'. For small operations I have a colony that I drag around which can transport and house a few million people. For large ones I just drop a ton of autominers.
Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 1347