Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818487 times)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9105 on: December 11, 2011, 02:29:20 pm »

My current game is, let me do that math, 66 years in. My usual expansion is best described as slow and thorough; in each system I aim for a nexus world with nearly identical atmosphere to Earth (not just for RP reasons, as having at least 1.0 atm also protects from beams), large population and a variety of installations, and, wherever possible, in system mining colonies mass drivering every type of mineral to the planet. Basically every planet is fully self sufficient and capable of handling its own expansion if all the others were to get wiped out.

I also normally only colonize one planet in each system, including Sol; while I realize the trade benefits to multiple worlds I like the centralization; it makes defense easier and things easier to keep track of.

Currently I've got Earth with 1.78b pop, Eden with 251m, Shangri-la with 147m, and Avalon with 81m. My military is split between two groups (previously three, before I scrapped the survey wing because they were outstripping my expansion rate); a planetary defense group of missile bases and FAC squadrons, and a naval fleet of 34,000 ton battleships and 14,000 ton cruisers, exclusively beam armed. All told there are 11 missile bases, 60 FACs, 5 Battleships, and 8 Cruisers. I previously used a science ship variant on the 34,000 ton battleship for survey duties (had four, and even with a jump drive and survey sensors they were quite dangerous) which in theory would have aided the fleet in times of war. Unfortunately they never ran into any enemies so I didn't get to test them. They were called the Galaxy class and inspired by Star Trek :P.

Which on a related note, is kind of why I lost interest in that game; I built so much but there weren't any enemies to provide challenge.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9106 on: December 11, 2011, 02:41:41 pm »

NPR gen rate: 100%.
NPR difficulty: 200%
Swarm: On
Precursors: On
Invaders: On

There's a bit of difficulty.  :P

Though if you don't start with an existing NPR/kill it early in the game, yeah, you won't really face much trouble from post-start generated NPRs, as they're generated at low tech levels or pre T-N levels, and will be completely unable to pose a threat once you're at mid tech, as you'll continue to outpace them in research and expansion.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: December 11, 2011, 05:14:00 pm »

Your best bet is to just start with multiple NPRs and a small galaxy.  But the NPRs will probably go at it and leave your turns at 5 sec intervals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9108 on: December 11, 2011, 06:37:50 pm »

Hence why you just start with one NPR and boost its economy; it'll develop quickly, and will usually be able to curbstomp other NPRs, so it won't slow you down too much.

3. Run Resize Enable

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: December 11, 2011, 09:17:28 pm »

I'm just getting my military up after 30 years in game and I'm going to turn precursors and star swarm on once I get it going. But I'd like to hear your opinions about the ships I've designed.

There is a fourth and fifth design, one is a jump tender that can jump 5 8000 ton ships. The other is a sensor ship with massive sensor suites (1000 tons each, one at 60 res and one at 1 res), I didn't bother copying them here. And I'll probably design a tanker/supply/collier ship later that can jump with the warfleets to keep them functional.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9110 on: December 11, 2011, 10:53:14 pm »

AMM is fine in the amount of missiles it can put out, though it only has 31 volleys worth of ammo, which may be a problem. I'd suggest either dedicated armored coilers or more clips.

The PD looks like it can put out a half decent volley, and at a decent tracking speed.

The offensive missiles... are really bad in my opinion. I'm perfectly fine with the 6 size 1 missiles, but only warhead size 1? That's nothing but a needle against any well armored ship or a ship with half decent shields. You need more penetration. Your missile ships are okay otherwise.

The speed of all the ships in my opinion is on the slow side, but that's just me. Just so you know, with that speed, you'd better win your battles or you could get the crap kicked out of you by Star Swarm or any other fighters.

I'd also recommend some close-combat ships, so you aren't completely defenseless when you run out of missiles.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9111 on: December 11, 2011, 11:35:21 pm »

I wonder if it'd be feasible to play the last surviving colony of an advanced empire, possibly one woken from some kind of hibernation sleep by an impertinent younger race. 1 million population or less but most/all tech researched. You'd likely have trouble crewing your ships but you'd need far less of them.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9112 on: December 11, 2011, 11:38:36 pm »

I would be less worried about the crew of ships and more worried about the possible huge shortage of workers to work basically anything.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: December 11, 2011, 11:46:57 pm »

My engine tech is on ion, Improving that to the next engine type would speed my ships up and make my missiles more efficient, so that's probably the next step.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9114 on: December 11, 2011, 11:57:57 pm »

On May 28th, 2030, SARD researchers started noticing strange results in some experimental timekeeping devices. "It's almost like every five seconds, time is holding its breath," said one researcher. They hypothesized that this may be evidence of advanced extrasolar life. "For the meantime, we've enabled auto-rotation, or 'auto turns' on our chronometers, and that seems to have resolved the issue."

Let's see how long this takes to get through...

In other news, SARD has established a permanent human settlement- a mining colony- on Mars, and an entirely automated complex on Io. During the initial scans, an astounding discovery was made: some kind of ruined alien colony. After several years of examination by humanity's foremost (and only) experts in alien language, a basic understanding of their language was reached and a number of advanced alien tools were discovered. A second site, located on Titan, showed promise of being even larger.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:05:38 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: December 12, 2011, 12:01:38 am »

I would be less worried about the crew of ships and more worried about the possible huge shortage of workers to work basically anything.

This would actually make it a really interesting game; you'd have to very carefully manage your existing resources and avoid losses while slooooooowly building your population back up. So basically the younger races could lose twenty ships for every one of yours they kill, and still come out ahead, because they can replace losses and you can't. Obviously, would be much better as an AAR game with the player controlling all the sides, to prevent NPR stupidity getting in the way of RP.

3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: December 12, 2011, 12:26:23 am »

I've always held that the way to win a war is not to produce big ships, but it's to continue producing big ships through the duration of the fight.  It's not about one fight, it's about how quickly you can recoup your losses after a fight.  If you see your shipyards taking 5 years to produce a ship, try making smaller ships.  In war you'll end up limiting your ship size based on construction speed, not on jump drive size or shipyard size.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9117 on: December 12, 2011, 12:36:22 am »

My current game is somewhat interesting, Firstly theres somewhat less resources in sol than i'm used to from my other games, but that's fine i'll survive with 0.1 availability deposits for a while, but what gets me is the unavailibility of systems. From the 2 transit points in sol one led to alpha centauri with 1 planet and no transit points, and one lead to a system with no planets and 2 transit points, from those points i got another empty system with no transit points, and one black hole system.  The black hole is currently unexplored but i'm hoping to find something to jump to. At least if i do manage to get out of sol i'll have a nice choke point  i can put all my defences onto.
Is there some setting that affects system generation like this? I had difficulty set to 200% but i was under the impression that this setting was for NPR's rather than map generation/resources.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: December 12, 2011, 01:04:18 am »

My current game is somewhat interesting, Firstly theres somewhat less resources in sol than i'm used to from my other games, but that's fine i'll survive with 0.1 availability deposits for a while, but what gets me is the unavailibility of systems. From the 2 transit points in sol one led to alpha centauri with 1 planet and no transit points, and one lead to a system with no planets and 2 transit points, from those points i got another empty system with no transit points, and one black hole system.  The black hole is currently unexplored but i'm hoping to find something to jump to. At least if i do manage to get out of sol i'll have a nice choke point  i can put all my defences onto.
Is there some setting that affects system generation like this? I had difficulty set to 200% but i was under the impression that this setting was for NPR's rather than map generation/resources.

Nothing more than luck. I typically set 5-6 Sol JPs to avoid stuff like this. And yes, the difficulty modifier affects NPR economic productivity.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: December 12, 2011, 03:10:25 am »

I've always held that the way to win a war is not to produce big ships, but it's to continue producing big ships through the duration of the fight.  It's not about one fight, it's about how quickly you can recoup your losses after a fight.  If you see your shipyards taking 5 years to produce a ship, try making smaller ships.  In war you'll end up limiting your ship size based on construction speed, not on jump drive size or shipyard size.
It's always been my opinion that to win a war, in any situation and any time and any game, is not to have lots of crappy things, but a few powerful things that can easily smack those crappy things around. A few nukes to a few ten thousand artillery shells, if you will. A big ship that is x3 more expensive than one of your small ships and takes x3 times to build but takes out 5 for one of it is a good ship in my opinion. Because even though it will take longer to build, I will crush your units in large scale battles, taking less losses than in a 1v1 battle, and eventually grind your inferior units down.

But hey, that's just my opinion. I've always been into quality over quantity. I'm sure quantity has it's own methods, but my personal opinion is that quality is best.
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 1347