Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818598 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9015 on: December 06, 2011, 05:21:58 pm »

A newbish question, if I may. I'm in my first game out of the tutorial and I've just researched the asteroid mining tech. I want to create vessels that can extract, store and transport minerals from asteroids without the use of freighters or immobile mining bases. I created a new ship and added a few asteroid mining modules, the basic components required for space flight as well as a cargo hold and handling system for the minerals. I don't know how to begin the process of mining though or even if this design can work as intended.

Post the design so we can see. I don't make much use of asteroid miners myself, but as I recall, you just order them to move to the asteroid and they'll start extracting minerals and depositing them on the surface. It might be better to use dedicated freighters or mass drivers to transport the minerals, as doing so with the miners will require them to stop mining while they carry the minerals home. This also allows you to cut the tonnage substantially, so you can use your larger commercial shipyards for terraformers, JGCs, etc., rather than mining ships.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9016 on: December 06, 2011, 05:29:41 pm »

Layered defense. Carronade-armed heavy battleships to deal with anything unlucky enough to come out in range. Missile-armed pickets for everything else, or as backup if the battleships get overwhelmed.

This comes up often, but I maintain that the best jump point defense as the game currently stands is meson armed FACs. They have the speed to close with ships regardless of their jump distance, can easily have ridiculously high maintenance times because they're small, are fairly hard to shoot down once sensors come online, and *nothing* can survive massed meson fire for long. And if worst comes to worst they can often disengage once the enemy starts shooting back.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9017 on: December 06, 2011, 05:34:19 pm »

What Flying Dice said. Just pick an asteroid and fly a miner to it. It'll autocreate the mining "colony", although you'll have to close and reopen your Production/Research window to see it.

That said, I prefer the slow behemoth design for miners: 100,000+ tons, usually 12-15 mining modules. Speed of no more than 1500 km/s a second or so. Considering that a mining ship will spend 95% of its operational life not moving, I figure engines are a minimal concern. Hell, if I didn't regularly neglect tractor beam research, I'd probably nix the engines altogether and use tugs to move them into place.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: December 06, 2011, 05:38:43 pm »

it's a lot harder to get angry when zombie whales come ROFLstomp your precious fort

Honestly, I think that's part of the experience. Also, it's hilarious.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #9019 on: December 06, 2011, 06:09:02 pm »

Thanks for the advice. It seems that I was mining the materials but I didn't realize that the vessel does not automatically store what it mines. A command to pick up any materials at the site did the job. Definitely an inefficient way to go about things though. I think I'll try the advice previously stated, mining vessels coupled with dedicated freighters until I get mass drivers.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9020 on: December 06, 2011, 06:14:26 pm »

Orbital mining stations with hypertugs. Ten billion tons of engine and a tractor beam, combined with a separate ten billion tons of mining equipment. Next game I do, I'm going to try that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9021 on: December 06, 2011, 06:18:27 pm »

Yeah, mining ships with their own cargo don't work very well.  In Sol it's best to just invest in a pair of mass drivers and send the stuff back.  Outside Sol, mass driver the goods to a central point, and then freighter the resources from there to Earth.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9022 on: December 06, 2011, 07:11:00 pm »

Orbital mining stations with hypertugs. Ten billion tons of engine and a tractor beam, combined with a separate ten billion tons of mining equipment. Next game I do, I'm going to try that.

That's no moon!

Related: as expected, that nice shiny system with a bunch of nearly habitable worlds is infested with Precursors. I sent in two squadrons of destroyers, and am following up with a light carrier group. I'm considering doing a short little writeup of the action, as well, as it is a bit more interesting than the usual 'Precursors outrun my ships, shoot down hundreds of missiles, and still have enough left to sandpaper all of my ships into oblivion', not least because a) they retreated before taking a shot, despite the fact that their apparent AMM ships had only used up what looked like a third of their ordinance, b) they're based in the B-component, which is easily two or three weeks away from the JP, and c) They outspeed my carrier, PD ships, and mainline missile destroyers, but my saturation offense destroyers (100x 0.33 launchers, S1 missiles) have about a 150km/s edge on them, so assuming they have worse range than me, I can easily beat them at their own game, rather than bulling my way through with massive balls heavy armor and shields as per usual antiprecursor tactics.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9023 on: December 06, 2011, 07:12:42 pm »

That's no moon!

That joke has been made. Several times :P

Regardless, I'd like a write-up. Sounds interesting.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9024 on: December 06, 2011, 08:13:54 pm »

That's no moon!

That joke has been made. Several times :P

Regardless, I'd like a write-up. Sounds interesting.

Well then, here ya go:

Oh, and it was a 2025 start with OBed ships and increased difficulty NPRs, as a sort of RP game. I set up my tech to be rather unbalanced; Magnetic Confinement drives, but absolute shit for weapons and sensor tech, stuff that would fit with Ion drives, or maybe even Nuclear Pulse drives in some cases.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More to come later, plus screenshots.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:57:46 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9025 on: December 07, 2011, 12:42:58 am »

Well.  My ships blew the crap out of the alien ships.  I moved survey ships into the area and found 2 thermal contacts on moons.  Sent in the ground troops, and eventually, won one of the battles.  I think.  Suddenly, I get messages saying that so and so have surrendered, and I now own myself some ships in systems I didn't know existed.  They have technology WAY beyond me, and I would like to keep them.  One problem.  Other ships are attempting to knock them out of the firmament with massed missile fire.  Also, I can't pull up system maps for my new ships since I haven't explored their systems.  What do I do?  What has happened?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9026 on: December 07, 2011, 12:45:14 am »

This happens.  When you take a planet the morale drop causes random ships or PDCs to surrender, most often happening in the middle of an enemy fleet.  Just try and do as much damage as you can before they're destroyed!  Prepare the troopships to capture the recently damaged ships!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9027 on: December 07, 2011, 12:47:44 am »

It sounds like a Precursor outpost, in which case you basically have a choice between letting the troop transports be destroyed and SM moving them to your home system.

3. Run Resize Enable

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9028 on: December 07, 2011, 12:49:44 am »

Yeah, most of them were troopships.  How do I SM move them?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9029 on: December 07, 2011, 12:51:23 am »

The task group screen, in the "organization" tab or somesuch you can SM them to a new position.
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 1347