Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818668 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8985 on: December 05, 2011, 05:22:17 pm »

Yeah, multi-habitable systems are awesome. I had a game with a quaternary system (36 Ophiuchi, IIRC) and six reasonably habitable worlds. I wound up with so much commercial traffic there that I just made it my new capital.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: December 06, 2011, 12:34:33 am »

All right.  This is my first game.  I encountered Precursors in an adjoining system to Sol (Procyon, if you wanted to know).  They shot up my jumpgate constructor ship with 15 strength 9 nuclear detonations.  Determined to get vengeance, I designed a Cruiser, a Destroyer, a Carrier, and a Fighter.  I fast OOBed them into existence because I want to learn about combat, not wait years for a couple boats.  So they jump into the enemy system, and immediately meet the enemy ships.  I go into the combat screen and assign fire controls and missiles to my various weapons.  Immediately, problem.  I seem to be picking up no contacts, even though one of my carriers took 30 strength 9 missiles (it lived).  So, I need to know what's going on before my carrier is so much space dust.
Oregon class Cruiser    9,950 tons     1109 Crew     1665 BP      TCS 199  TH 300  EM 0
3015 km/s     Armour 5-41     Shields 0-0     Sensors 16/16/0/0     Damage Control Rating 10     PPV 60
Maint Life 8.7 Years     MSP 2046    AFR 79%    IFR 1.1%    1YR 48    5YR 726    Max Repair 160 MSP
Magazine 522   

Ion Engine M6 (10)    Power 60    Fuel Use 60%    Signature 30    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 30.2 billion km   (115 days at full power)

Size 6 Missile Launcher (10)    Missile Size 6    Rate of Fire 60
Missile Fire Control FC54-R80 (70%) (1)     Range 54.9m km    Resolution 80
Size 6 Anti-ship Missile (87)  Speed: 10,000 km/s   End: 83.3m    Range: 50m km   WH: 8    Size: 6    TH: 60 / 36 / 18

Missile Detection Sensor MR10-R1 (70%) (1)     GPS 128     Range 10.2m km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor MR12-R100 (70%) (1)     GPS 1600     Range 12.8m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH2-16 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 16     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  16m km
EM Detection Sensor EM2-16 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 16     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  16m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Any suggestions are welcome, as I have no idea how to build a real military ship.  Just keep in mind that this ship has to stay under 10,000 tons, for roleplay and practical reasons.  If you need me to post other ship stats, just let me know.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: December 06, 2011, 12:37:16 am »

Do your ships have active sensors on?

Jumping will also deactivate many systems for a few minutes.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8988 on: December 06, 2011, 12:47:48 am »

How to get population from one planet to another? I managed to make an empty colony on Mars and add some "Terraformer to be constructed" orders, but I can't seem to actually get anyone to GO there. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: December 06, 2011, 12:52:57 am »

Ships that jump in have a short "sensor overload" period where they can't see anything.  This is intended to give the defenders the advantage.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8990 on: December 06, 2011, 01:10:20 am »

How to get population from one planet to another? I managed to make an empty colony on Mars and add some "Terraformer to be constructed" orders, but I can't seem to actually get anyone to GO there.
You need to design a ship that has colony modules installed. After that, you can build them yourself (thus having control over them) or let the civilians build and operate them for you.

Make sure that Mars is either at 0.00 colony cost or has infrastructure; otherwise, colonists will start dieing in droves.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: December 06, 2011, 01:13:43 am »

Missile Fire Control FC54-R80 (70%) (1)     Range 54.9m km    Resolution 80
Active Search Sensor MR12-R100 (70%) (1)     GPS 1600     Range 12.8m km    Resolution 100
That is a really short ranged active sensor for the resolution, and your missiles outrange a lot. Make it ~6 times bigger.

Also what everyone else said about jump blindness.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: December 06, 2011, 01:35:33 am »

You need to design a ship that has colony modules installed. After that, you can build them yourself (thus having control over them) or let the civilians build and operate them for you.

Make sure that Mars is either at 0.00 colony cost or has infrastructure; otherwise, colonists will start dieing in droves.

Thanks. But how can I get infrastructure built there before there's anyone actually around to build anything?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: December 06, 2011, 01:45:11 am »

Build it on Earth, of course. Use cargo ships to transport it to Mars before you deliver colonists.

Build LOTS. At least 200 units of infrastructure, more if you aren't planning on terraforming Mars anytime soon.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: December 06, 2011, 03:52:22 am »

Also infrastructure takes less cargo space than most facilities. I think it's a 20:1 ratio but I could be wrong.

If your civilians have some cargo ships, the best way to move infrastructure is to add a civillian supply contract for infrastructure on Earth, then a demand contract for the same amount wherever you want it to be deposited.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: December 06, 2011, 04:04:01 am »

I actually built around 10,000 infrastructure on earth and shipped it to mars, with a total ~10,800 because civilians will produce infrastructure out of thin air, if you can withstand the "unrest increasing/decreasing" interruptions.  That was before I terraformed to 0.0 and started shipping it all back to earth.  I'm rather convinced that 0.0 worlds are the only ones worth taking, as anything with a requirement causes population to fluctuate at the limit and cause unrest sway and interrupts the flow of time.  Apparently they have no idea how to "stop having damned babies at 25m."

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8996 on: December 06, 2011, 05:08:48 am »

Also infrastructure takes less cargo space than most facilities. I think it's a 20:1 ratio but I could be wrong.

You fit 2 infrastructure per cargo hold so 10:1.

I actually built around 10,000 infrastructure on earth and shipped it to mars, with a total ~10,800 because civilians will produce infrastructure out of thin air, if you can withstand the "unrest increasing/decreasing" interruptions.  That was before I terraformed to 0.0 and started shipping it all back to earth.  I'm rather convinced that 0.0 worlds are the only ones worth taking, as anything with a requirement causes population to fluctuate at the limit and cause unrest sway and interrupts the flow of time.  Apparently they have no idea how to "stop having damned babies at 25m."

After a colony reaches 25mil, set it to stable so the civilians won't ship more colonists there and dump 1000 or so extra infrastructure on the colony. That will keep up with the natural population growth requirements for quite some time while you terraform the colony.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: December 06, 2011, 08:50:33 am »

Anyway to speed up the civilian liners to get going my orders?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: December 06, 2011, 09:18:47 am »

Also, the "unrest increasing/decreasing" notices don't cause interrupts. Instead, they scale based on the amount of time. So a 0.03% change in a 5 day period becomes a 0.18% change in a 30-day increment. If you just don't want them cluttering up the Event Log, you can always filter them.

Anyway to speed up the civilian liners to get going my orders?
Sadly, no. I have big fat industrial contracts waiting for the takers, but no dice. A nice feature would be to allow you to change the reimbursement rate on the contracts as a way to "prioritize" them. So if you wanted to pay a premium on a certain contract, the civvie AI would jump on those first. If you had a contract in Sol that was low-priority, you could pay subpar rates so that civvies would only do it if there wasn't any good trade action or other contracts first. Right now, the problem is that most of my traders wind up all making the Earth-Mars trade circuit because it's better ROI than hauling factories four jumps away with no goods for the return leg. Maybe I should make a big, cheap bulk hauler with very low fuel range just so they can use that to do the Earth-Mars circuit and free up the long-haul freighters for inter-system travel.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8999 on: December 06, 2011, 09:44:21 am »

Fuel range won't effect them. Civilians and NPR's ignore it. It is slightly odd that they are ignoring your contracts in order to move trade goods, in all of my games they always take on contracts, once they finish their current shipment, over standard trade goods.

A possible cause would be if you are making a single big supply contract. IIRC if you have a contract for moving say 10 factories and you have a freighter enroute to start loading one of them, in the mean time other freighters won't see rest of the factories as available until the current freighter has loaded itself. If there are multiple freighters looking for a task at the exact same time while the contract is open, then they could all be assigned to it at once due to the way orders get assigned.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 1347