Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818913 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8730 on: November 26, 2011, 04:56:12 am »

The issue with a self-sufficient ship is that it can only produce fuel via sorium harvester, and certain minerals and equipment via salvaging.  Everything else needs a planet to mine, produce new ships, produce missiles and maintenance, and repair armor.  Unless you want to try your hand at modding, that is.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8731 on: November 26, 2011, 08:25:51 am »

You can aquire all the minerals you need via asteroid mining. However you are correct that you will need to set up a (temporary) base to produce new ships/ordanance/supplys and to conduct overhauls(though you can use maintainance modules instead of carrying facilities).

Assuming that the floatilla is the only part of your race and there is no homeworld left behind, you will also need to carry research labs. You could always try and improve your tech via salvage from more advanced NPR's however you will likely lack the production base to get into a slugging match with a more advanced enemy.

Armour repair would be a problem on any large ships as a shipyard towed along is significantly bigger than the size of ship it can repair. This would likely lead to having to build jump gates to move it to the next system. It may be a good idea to rely primarily on shields for defence as the generators can be repaired by damage control if damaged unlike armour. Alternatively you could rely on just using Fighters/FAC's/small ships for combat and no large combat ships.

Does anyone know what effects picket and extended orbit have?

They both have obvious effects, orbit at set distance and move at 1km/s etc. But what would you actually use either of them for?
Does it conserve fuel to extended orbit?

Aurora was partly built as a tool for Steves fiction so some of the commands reflect that.

Extended orbit puts the ships to the specified distance and also puts them in orbit, their relative position changing every 5 days.
Picket moves to the target and sets the taskgroups max speed to 1.

Note that using orbit with a distance of 0 is not the same as moving to a target. Ships that are using the orbit command do not show up for maintainance/repairs/refits/loading from a colony even if they are orbiting at 0 distance.

Neither order expends fuel after reaching their target.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8732 on: November 26, 2011, 08:44:15 am »

They both have obvious effects, orbit at set distance and move at 1km/s etc. But what would you actually use either of them for?
Moving at 1 km/s reduces your Thermal signature to 0, so you can tell it to picket somewhere instead of telling it to move there and then setting the speed to 1.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: November 26, 2011, 10:14:59 am »

Moving at 1 km/s reduces your Thermal signature to 0, so you can tell it to picket somewhere instead of telling it to move there and then setting the speed to 1.
Picketing also, I believe, greatly reduces your fuel usage.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: November 26, 2011, 10:29:52 am »

If you don't move I'm pretty sure you don't use any fuel anyway.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: November 26, 2011, 02:11:49 pm »

If you don't move then you don't use fuel.  The picket command is to reduce your thermal for sneaking.  Like, if you're approaching a jump point where you know the enemy has a base, then you move to the edge of thermal range, then you picket forward, slowly approaching until you're in range, and fire on them in surprise.  Or picket a JP to defend it.  It's of rather limited use, but useful when you can utilize it.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: November 26, 2011, 03:28:16 pm »

Er, so is there a way to make sure officers don't get declared surplus and let go? I want to keep my geology team, but I want them to stop bothering me with constant 'no minerals' reports.

Can't remember if it is 'autoassign to posts' or 'realistic promotions' that causes the retire surplus officers to take place, but you could play with them off. Alternatively make a bunch of tiny PDC's on your homeworld and assign officers that you want to keep but don't have a current task for to thePDC's then check the 'do not end tour' checkbox. Another possibility would be to make a new task group and assign them to the officers positions of the HQ and check the 'do not end tour' checkbox.

It's autoassign.

There's a division by zero error somewhere in my lasers. Is there a way I can find which design it is and get rid of it without SM mode?
You can put your teams aboard a ship, that will shut them up.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: November 26, 2011, 05:35:31 pm »

What's up with designs randomly getting locked?

A ship I was designing literally 5 minutes ago got locked without me pressing the lock button. And the option for unlocking is greyed out.
No ships of that class exists yet.
No shipyard is tooled for that class.
I didn't finish adding parts.

Using the new armor bug to try and bypass the lock isn't working.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: November 26, 2011, 05:47:00 pm »

So I've decided I want to make a deep space explorer spaceship that is autonomous from my main civilization.  What are some realistic designs for such a ship?  It would have to have:

1) Sensors both for stellar bodies and for new jump gates
2) The ability to build jump gates
3) The ability to refuel itself (sorium harvesters? Can you convert that to fuel on board a ship?)
4) The ability to carry various crew and science teams as well as cryo-beds for citizens in case we find a compatable planet
5) Weapons enough to defend itself from at least casual attack
6) Probably other stuff that hasn't come to mind

Any ideas on reasonable designs for such a thing?
3 : Yep. a.f.a.i.k. soriumharvesters instantly refine thorium into fuel.
edit: I meant the harvested sorium, not sure it will convert mined Sorium to fuel at all if it is stored in its cargobays.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:50:17 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8739 on: November 26, 2011, 07:22:10 pm »

Not instantly, they do take time to convert, but they take sorium from jovians and convert it into onboard fuel, which is actually the only way to gather resources from a jovian as you cannot build colonies.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8740 on: November 26, 2011, 08:19:30 pm »

A ship I was designing literally 5 minutes ago got locked without me pressing the lock button. And the option for unlocking is greyed out.

Enter SM mode, there should then be a button to unlock it.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8741 on: November 26, 2011, 09:49:51 pm »

Abandoned that 50 years old game for various reason, but I'll try this next time it happens

Now is there any way to add asteroids and new bodies in SM mode? And edit bodies (gravity, orbital distance etc)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:55:37 pm by Acperience »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8742 on: November 26, 2011, 09:56:45 pm »

There is in designer mode, which basically spills open most of the database for you, but it's passworded by Steve on account of designer mode changes can cause rampant bugs and thus bug reports.  However, most body attributes can be altered in SM mode, like atmosphere and such.  Just can't add a new "black body" beyond the orbit of pluto.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: November 27, 2011, 12:52:20 pm »

Abandoned that 50 years old game for various reason, but I'll try this next time it happens

Now is there any way to add asteroids and new bodies in SM mode? And edit bodies (gravity, orbital distance etc)

When that happens to me, I just go to the top of the screen and change the hull type. Boom. Unlock unlocked.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8744 on: November 27, 2011, 12:57:45 pm »

I had a rather exciting half-week away from internet. And my galactic map is even more convoluted.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So after seeing neither hide nor hair of NPRs beyond a single survey ship cruising through Sol, I suddenly ran into three all at once. One of my survey vessels jumped into Basil in the middle of a massive confrontation between two NPRs, one side of which was pounding the other. The victor decided it would be a good idea to pop my survey ship, so I stomped their fleet into the ground with a horde of FACs and frigates, and then nuked them into submission. That was good enough, as it added 1.4b population to my empire, along with a trio of JGCs, as well as a few bits of tech. In addition, I opened hostilities with the other NPR, and found that they are still using nuclear pulse engines, so they won't be an issue. As for the race I'm fighting, the Barrackpur, they are either a large empire (as they had another, smaller world that I wiped entirely in the same system as the one I capped), or are now stuck fighting me from a minor colony, as I'm still seeing occasional ships. Oh, and they like radically different conditions, which will make them good colonists.

Specifically:
+ 0.444 to 0.148 Oxygen atm
+ -11.7 to -61.7  degrees Celsius
+ 0.53 to 2.11 g
+ 3.38 atm max

Better yet, less than two days after starting my invasion, another of my ships found the system of Manticore (FUCK YES), with three habitable worlds (one 0.00 cost) with another NPR sitting on the best one. They were tougher, but I still pounded them flat. Even with my fleet sitting on their shipyards and killing their colony ships and FACs as they completed, with their ground forces gone, and with me periodically nuking them, they didn't surrender. So I dropped 400 dirty nukes on them, and they wisely gave up. They didn't have any ships left, and had lost quite a bit of industry, but they bumped me two tech levels in AS, EW FC range, and Gauss cannons (as well as one in mining rate, Jump Drive SQ size and distance from point, and one in cloak efficiency), so it was well worth it.

The Danais (the fellows I conquered) help round out environ tolerances as well:
+ 0.087 to 0.299 atm Oxygen
+ 31.8 degrees to 77.8 degrees
+ 0.64 to 1.68 g
+ 4.47 atm max

So for not much effort, I tripled my population and industrial base, got close to 50 new shipyards, got a trio of JGCs, got a great tech boost, and greatly expanded my range of 0.00 col cost worlds.

Aggressive imperialism is great.  :D

Also, currently laying down the first hulls for my new generation of missile destroyers. I'm planning for 5-ship squadrons, with three basic destroyers, a sensor-heavy leader with a number of sensor buoys for JP and planet picketing, and a Jump Destroyer with an engine large enough to ferry an entire squadron.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1347