Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819025 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8670 on: November 23, 2011, 01:11:24 pm »

So, a resolution 1 sensor is... good for anything? Why would you never use anything but resolution 1, then? Is it range penalty?
Its simple.

The range is multiplied by the resolution.

A resolution 1000 sensor would detect a size 1000+ ship at 1000x the maximum range of a resolution 1 sensor. There are penalties for smaller ships of course.

A resolution 100 sensor detects a size 100+ at 100x the range of a resolution 1 sensor.

A resolution 1 sensor has a 1000x or 100x shorter range but will detect anything in that range.

It is far more efficient to tune the sensor for exactly what you are trying to detect.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: November 23, 2011, 03:43:04 pm »

10171 word and counting.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13152hgyUxjrjqLmAJpxXiiB3Oy7D-RiO4LsjpxQticw/edit?hl=en_US

jump point survey, automated mines, scout ships, passive sensors, more automation, waiting for stuff, designing for size and such
(but writing halted just before getting to the interesting part, missiles and combat!)

If someone is using this and find some passage obscure or has some doubt or something let me know and I'll do what I can to fix up the tutorial.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When we begin researching the sensor for the jump scout ship, you tell us not not only that a thermal sensor would be better (in case of unshielded ships?) but to actually research a thermal sensor rather than an EM one. Yet all of the included pictures, as well as the completed scout design a page or two later, show that you're researching an EM sensor.

So now I'm even more confused than normal.  :'(

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: November 23, 2011, 04:21:12 pm »

So, a resolution 1 sensor is... good for anything? Why would you never use anything but resolution 1, then? Is it range penalty?
Its simple.

A resolution 1000 sensor would detect a size 1000+ ship at 1000x the maximum range of a resolution 1 sensor. There are penalties for smaller ships of course.

A resolution 100 sensor detects a size 100+ at 100x the range of a resolution 1 sensor.

A resolution 1 sensor has a 1000x or 100x shorter range but will detect anything in that range.

It is far more efficient to tune the sensor for exactly what you are trying to detect.

...could you put a whole shitload of sensors of varying resolutions on one ship?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: November 23, 2011, 04:26:39 pm »

Yeah, but it'd be more space taken up, more possible points to start a dangerous chain-reaction if one gets hit and a higher failure rate.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: November 23, 2011, 04:31:48 pm »

Hmmm, but bigger ships also have an overall less chance to have their armor breached. The bigger the ship the more surface area. Adding armor costs more, but on a ship that's twice as big, you have half the chance the damaged spot is going to be hit again.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: November 23, 2011, 04:46:02 pm »

When we begin researching the sensor for the jump scout ship, you tell us not not only that a thermal sensor would be better (in case of unshielded ships?) but to actually research a thermal sensor rather than an EM one. Yet all of the included pictures, as well as the completed scout design a page or two later, show that you're researching an EM sensor.

nice spot. I was going for em because of the bigger em signature of colonies but then I decided that the other way was better and uploaded the wrong set of pictures  :o

that's what you get for working at late night. were can I sign up to be back to school once again? All my free time is after the sun downs now  >:(

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: November 23, 2011, 06:52:19 pm »

Its simple.

...could you put a whole shitload of sensors of varying resolutions on one ship?

First of all, it turns out the range is more complicated than just multiplied by the resolution. Not sure about the whole formula, but it's probably what was posted earlier.

There's no reason you can't, but you'd probably get better results from having a few, larger sensors.

For example, lets try to figure out all the types you might want. Size 1 for missiles, size 4 for fighters, Size 16 for FACs/Star Swarm, Size 45 for scout ships, size 120 for small warships, size 300 for full warships, Size 500 (max) for capital ships. That's 7 sensors.

Take Missiles and fighters. If instead of two sensors you made a Resolution 1 sensor that was twice the size, it could detect fighters at the same distance as a size 1 resolution 4 sensor, but would detect missiles at twice the distance. Similarly, if you combined the resolution 16 and 45 sensors into a size 2 resolution 16 sensor, you'd get one sensor that could detect both types at a longer range. After resolution 120 I'm not sure there'd be much benefit, as at that point they're extremely long range anyways.

The maximum I could see any ship reasonably having would be 3; one point defense/antifighter, one anti small ship, and one anti large ship. Small differences in size/resolution don't penalize range much, so trying to cover every possible size has diminishing returns.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8677 on: November 23, 2011, 07:01:57 pm »

Its simple.

Yes. This is what I tend to do once I start building dedicated sensor ships of 10,000 tons and above. Usually sensors of equal size at resolution 1, 10, 16/20, 100, for missile, fighter, FAC, ship detection. If space is limited shrink the higher resolution sensors first as you need the larger size on the small resolution to get decent range.

As ship sizes increase I'll add in additional sensors at resolution 500 for big ships and 5 for small fighters.

These ships are expensive and you will probably want to construct the sensors via industry unless you are happy with long build times.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: November 23, 2011, 10:40:25 pm »

So, I know how to rename planets (mostly), but how do I rename systems?

Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8679 on: November 23, 2011, 10:42:00 pm »

There should be a button along the bottom of the system view (F9) screen.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: November 23, 2011, 11:19:29 pm »

nice spot. I was going for em because of the bigger em signature of colonies but then I decided that the other way was better and uploaded the wrong set of pictures  :o

that's what you get for working at late night. were can I sign up to be back to school once again? All my free time is after the sun downs now  >:(

BTW, am I right in thinking this is the only tutorial for the current version, including on the official forums? Is the playerbase really that small?

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: November 23, 2011, 11:29:52 pm »

There aren't really any dedicated tutorials, other than this one, that I know of. There IS information on the official forums, but a lot of it seems to be blowing in the wind.

Also, is there a way to make people not get disowned every 6/7 years? I want to disband my current geology team to stop them from spamming me with messages, but I don't want them to be declared surplus to the service and fired.

edit: also holy shit i have a 55% bonus energy weapons researcher

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: November 24, 2011, 12:15:26 am »

Just starting to get into the game, no troubles getting started but I gotta wonder.

The NPR, Precursors, Swarms and Invaders are the enemies here.

But according what what I've seen you guys write, the NPRs are total pushovers as they make terrible technological and economic decisions. The precursors mainly stick to their own system, and the Invaders are apparently rape machines and everyone turns them off.

The game places a huge emphasis on combat and military logistics. What exactly are the threats I'm going to be fighting?

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: November 24, 2011, 01:00:19 am »

Just starting to get into the game, no troubles getting started but I gotta wonder.

The NPR, Precursors, Swarms and Invaders are the enemies here.

But according what what I've seen you guys write, the NPRs are total pushovers as they make terrible technological and economic decisions. The precursors mainly stick to their own system, and the Invaders are apparently rape machines and everyone turns them off.

The game places a huge emphasis on combat and military logistics. What exactly are the threats I'm going to be fighting?
NPR's CAN be threatening, but are often times not. Invaders are... very tough, from what I've heard. Swarms are a threat, as they move systems. And precursors do stay in their one systems, but do tend to be pretty advanced.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: November 24, 2011, 04:02:13 am »

Basically, the economic AI is bad enough that NPRs left to their own device will crumble after a few decades to mineral crunch. However, when you first encounter them, they're still full o' warships. Their tech level is rolled based on the difficulty modifier and your own. So roll bad enough and they'll be 2 TL ahead of you in everything, thus making a victory very costly and difficult.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1347