Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819074 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8580 on: November 21, 2011, 09:55:38 am »

does missile agility have no impact on its evasiveness vs AMM and CIWS?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: November 21, 2011, 09:59:31 am »

AFAIK the only thing agility impacts is CTH on the target. And this reaches a point where it levels out and becomes pointless to add more MSP to AGI.

And yeah, at high enough techs, you'll basically have a few fractional points in STR, ENG, and AGI, and the rest in sensors and fuel, for all of your missiles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: November 21, 2011, 10:15:42 am »

does missile agility have no impact on its evasiveness vs AMM and CIWS?

the only factor there is speed. a staged missile could help there. uhm, I shall run a comparison between sized 4 missiles, staged and not.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: November 21, 2011, 10:25:12 am »

Also, definitely get a geosurvey team trained an put them on earth. Last game, they found about a dozen new mineral deposits for me on earth, which was very helpful.

Also, I think version 5.55 came out the other day.

Cool I'll check it out, and I usually place people in teams once I have enough (in my mind they'll get to practice their skills, if not than at least the teams will be ready if I need them) so I usually have some geosurvey people, they inform me (every turn.. Blarugh..) that there are no new minerals.

How much? Earth is automatically set as a Homeworld, so it should always have ~20k-100k+ of every resource, most at average or above average accessability. If you really got a bad roll for resources and don't mind getting a little cheaty, you can go into SM mode

I'm on a different computer so I don't have the game in front of me (sadly) but there were a few that were under ten thousand and many that were under twenty thousand.  I don't think I had any that were up to one hundred.  It was the worst earth roll I recall getting.  After about thirty years (I play 'conventional empire') I had mined out all but two minerals.  I am not worried about cheating though, I just figure it is (or was, if there is a new version) a new challenge.  I already had some terraformers getting ready so I could move to nearby planets as well as building some transports to ship over some auto-mines in the meantime.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: November 21, 2011, 11:02:12 am »

I have trouble expanding. I usually run out of resources while still in the first solar system, as I tend to focus on one colony at a time. How do you guys expand?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: November 21, 2011, 11:09:15 am »

a trained geological team is the best way to exit mineral stalls.

just remember to colonize a random planet in sol to kickstart civilian expansion, then survey their mines to maximize mineral output.

colonize the rest of sol to gather enough wealth to buy off minerals from the civilians and supplement their colony with mass drivers to increase efficiency.

then you can expand leisurely  :P
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:12:38 am by LoSboccacc »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: November 21, 2011, 11:09:22 am »

Strip-mine the Galaxy!  :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: November 21, 2011, 11:31:50 am »

a trained geological team is the best way to exit mineral stalls.

just remember to colonize a random planet in sol to kickstart civilian expansion, then survey their mines to maximize mineral output.

colonize the rest of sol to gather enough wealth to buy off minerals from the civilians and supplement their colony with mass drivers to increase efficiency.

then you can expand leisurely  :P

I do that...

I meant how do you build colonies? Do you just spam them and leave them with a little infrastructure? Do you specialize them, how far away do you make your next "homeworld"?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: November 21, 2011, 11:41:55 am »

this is what I do, probably not the most efficient but I don't like to micromanage too much colonies.

planets with good minerals get spammed by automated mines, inhabitable planets gets the standard one thousand infrastructure and are abandoned to themselves.

earth produces mines at full speed, with the occasional shipyard/mass driver/stuff.

there is one task group that has terraformers, terraformers are continuously built at earth and shipped to this terraforming group five by five. this group goes around perfecting planets. I don't recycle infrastructure afterwards, it's just annoying.

rarely I found planets that are good for colonization and mining, but I don't do the additional step of using normal mines on them instead of automated ones.

I've a tg that move colonist automatically and one that build gates automatically. it just isn't worth to do all this by hand, handling ship already takes enough time  ;D

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: November 21, 2011, 11:53:59 am »

I'm pretty much the same.  I use auto-mines on minable planets and asteroids and either use mass drivers or transport ships set to auto transport to bring the minerals back to earth or other habitable planets.   I use a mix of terraforming and infrastructure to set up planets for civilization and if I'm going to use it to produce anything I set a minimum mineral stockpile level. 

When I am colonizing a planet I have transport ships auto-carry citizens to the planet and I also have auto-survey ships and auto-jump gate building ships to get my system read to move.  When it comes to investigating neighboring systems I send gravsurvay ships, geosurvay ships, and jump gate constructors into the system, if there are any good planets those end up being my main base of production in that system, rinse and repeat.

Once I get things going I set up a small squad of a few light defenders, a ship with jump gates, and a science vessel to investigate far off reaches of space (this is the bread and butter of the game for me), sometimes we find far off worlds and start an almost totally separate society.

Some things I am interested in doing in the game that I really haven't yet:

1) Using genetic manipulation to create a race of creatures who can survive extreme cold and colonizing pluto. 

2) Playing on "real star systems" and building a small fleet (or even one ship) that can journey all the way to the center of the milky way on its own ASAP.

3) Setting up some kind of disaster in my home system and building up a fleet to carry as many supplies as is possible and leaving to find a new home.

New Question: I've noticed in the last few versions when I queue up research it only lets me queue it with the scientist working on the current reserach.. In other words if I research "Trans-Whatever Something-or-other" with Joe Smith and when he's done I want Jane Goodall to research "genetic code" when I plug in the queued order it auto assigns Joe Smith to genetic code no matter which scientist I select.  I do not remember this always being the way..

Is it a bug?

Was it always this way and I'm imagining things?

Is something changed and I need to do something different to have other scientists be in the research queue?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:59:39 am by Mickey Blue »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: November 21, 2011, 11:57:51 am »

the problem with pluto is gravity. you'll need a lot of rp to get to a point where humans can get there.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: November 21, 2011, 12:15:22 pm »

People actually let their JGCs operate automatically? I'd be living in permanent fear that the stupid buggers would build links from infested systems to my core worlds.

3) Setting up some kind of disaster in my home system and building up a fleet to carry as many supplies as is possible and leaving to find a new home.

A few score pages back, Paul came up with a prebuilt scenario for a similar style of game based on a Macrossesque mobile population. I'd dig through to find it, but I don't have several spare hours.  :-\

This is an AAR he played using it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: November 21, 2011, 12:32:51 pm »

Once I get farther out I do more and more micromanaging, at least with regards to new areas, but early on and in controlled systems, sure, I let them go on auto.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: November 21, 2011, 12:42:30 pm »

People actually let their JGCs operate automatically? I'd be living in permanent fear that the stupid buggers would build links from infested systems to my core worlds.

They tend to do that, a lot. Just let em die there instead of getting then back and the enemy wont  (usually)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:19:25 pm by LoSboccacc »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8594 on: November 21, 2011, 01:06:48 pm »

I'm stuck on a black hole :(
-snicker- This just struck me as funny.
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 1347