Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819259 times)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8475 on: November 16, 2011, 08:37:32 pm »

Hmm, I always knew wealth affected your industry and how it ran, how much you could do, etcetera and onwards, but I never figured out how to figure out where it says it. I always hear people going on about: "Oh yeah, I had a deficit so I couldn't run at full capacity", but I can't figure out where to view those figures.

Any help?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: November 16, 2011, 08:46:12 pm »

Population and Production>Bottom right: "Economic Production Modifier" I believe.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: November 16, 2011, 09:04:34 pm »

Population and Production>Bottom right: "Economic Production Modifier" I believe.
Is it a button normally hidden? I can't find it.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: November 16, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »

You actually want the Wealth/Trade tab on the economic window. The economic window also has your total race wealth in the title bar.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: November 16, 2011, 09:13:02 pm »

There is an option that wraps the program to fit your window. Not many tutorials mention it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: November 16, 2011, 09:16:10 pm »

Not a button. Summary>the white boxed area beneath the tabs>to the right under "Installation", it should be the fifth-to-last item there.

You actually want the Wealth/Trade tab on the economic window. The economic window also has your total race wealth in the title bar.
That only shows how much money you are making/losing. It doesn't show how your defect decreases your production efficiency.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: November 16, 2011, 09:27:55 pm »

I see the wealth of my race, the per capita income, my income and expenditure, and my trade goods, but nothing about the Economic Production Modifier. Is it normally low on the window, or?

Oh wait, found it on my summary tab. Hehe, yay for actually looking!

Edit: Also, what exactly do service industries do?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:02:16 pm by Repulsion »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: November 16, 2011, 10:17:56 pm »

I see the wealth of my race, the per capita income, my income and expenditure, and my trade goods, but nothing about the Economic Production Modifier. Is it normally low on the window, or?

Oh wait, found it on my summary tab. Hehe, yay for actually looking!

Edit: Also, what exactly do service industries do?

IIRC they're basically population sinks. Every population automatically puts a percentage of their people into them.

Incidentally, this superfreighter:

I just designed another challenge for my civilian shipping lines:

Code: [Select]
Atlas class Superfreighter    1,250,000 tons     10465 Crew     24873.2 BP      TCS 25000  TH 30000  EM 0
1200 km/s     Armour 1-1033     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 20     PPV 0
MSP 249    Max Repair 50 MSP
Cargo 1000000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5000   

Magneto-plasma Drive E0.6 (150)    Power 200    Fuel Use 6%    Signature 200    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 5,000,000 Litres    Range 120.0 billion km   (1157 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Any bets on how many weeks it takes them to get the first one out of the yards?

Took a bit more time than I expected for my main civilian shipping line to get one into operation. I created the design on June 3 2044, and they finished construction on December 20 2044. It cost them something on the order of 160000 wealth to create, and that single ship more than doubled their current tonnage.

Ed: And my second shipping line completed one in late March 2045 and another in mid-April 2045. And a third in late May 2045. :o
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:46:57 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: November 17, 2011, 12:30:46 am »

I've finally traveled to another solar system. I managed to get to that solar system and back to Sol, but when I sent a colony ship (one of the planets had a colony cost less than Mars, at a mere 1.2601) I can't seem to get back to it without the game spewing out error messages and crashing on me. Any way to change solar systems without the errorspam and crashing every five seconds?

COuld be the bug i experienced where zooming out too far caused crashes whenever i went back to that same system, after a few attempts i did manage to get that system loaded without any crashes except for when trying to move or zoom the map, i hit the button that resets the map and that fixed it, i forget where that button is.
Edit : It's the min zoom button
Edit2: I seem to have constructed A Missile base with shields, would they actually work properly or does atmosphere interfere with shields in some way? I noticed that PDC's don't actually allow shields to be added to the design.
Edit3: trying to modify the design to get more shields and i ended up with none :(
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:50:37 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: November 17, 2011, 08:48:57 am »

Hmm. . . I've by now quite a sizable, and diverse, frigate fleet (by my standards anyhow),
I still need to finish researching the larger M jumpdrive, but I decided to start designing a 10-12 tonne destroyer yesterday eve... I figured I need to get some research done on big beamers, because it ended up being something a ship with less missiles than a F-M, less point defence than a F-E/F-EB and less lasers than my standard Frigate, less speed, less fuel, less everything but sensors and defences.

Maybe I just need to forget about an allround Destroyer and design it as a larger, better defended missile frigate?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: November 17, 2011, 09:52:14 am »

How is this for a ASM?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I followed the Kiwi/Emu approximate equation thing. There is .67 warhead, 1.315 engine, 1.1 fuel capacity, and 0.915 agility.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8486 on: November 17, 2011, 10:05:13 am »

What are your warhead stength, agility, engine, fuel efficency techs? I've found Emu's equation puts you in the right ballpark for a missile but it can often be tweaked to improve it a bit.

I'd say that it has much too high a range, drop it down to 10-20 million km, so fuel of around 0.14 to 0.27. If I've worked it correctly you have warhead 6 tech, use a warhead of 0.6667(missile allocations work to 4 decimal places) instead of 0.67. Put the saved 0.0033 from the warhead and the 0.96 or 0.83 from the fuel into your engines/agility.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:23 am »

Actually, I disagree on dropping the range that far - as long as you have sensor tech that lets you fire out to 80-120m km, you should do so. The precursors will do it to you, and can engage you with AMM at 20m km, so the further away you can start shooting, the healthier it is overall.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: November 17, 2011, 10:34:14 am »

I don't like having an halfway range missiles.

so I agree with you both: either go full contact with short range high punch, or play safe with two stages long range missiles.

the enemy will have speed superiority so having your missile range roughly equal or longer to theirs won't help you much.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: November 17, 2011, 11:33:10 am »

Or go my route and ignore missiles entirely, focusing all efforts on building flying balls of armor with heavy shields and a large number of PD lasers/sandpaper application devices.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1347