Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819293 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8445 on: November 16, 2011, 02:27:41 am »

I'll need to setup aurora on my other pc as I'm getting some vacation time, has anyone experience of
Installing it under wine?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: November 16, 2011, 03:58:07 am »

Can PDC's be scrapped?
I would love to recycle those ICBM's for what little they're worth, even better would be if i could shove em onto drones and make slightly less than useless 'upgrades' merely as fluff, but for some reason the refit cost of my old conventuional bases is 50% more than the cost of building entirely new ones with vastly superior tech.
Why scrap them? Can't you just toss them onto freighters and deliver them to minor colonies? It'll keep unrest down, at least.
I don't remember being able to ship PDCs.
You can ship PDCs, but only if you build prefab components and ship those around (and put the components together at the other end). Otherwise you would be moving the equivalent of a mountain around.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: November 16, 2011, 11:55:27 am »

You will need a ship with five cargo bays to ship them as pdc prefab components cannot be moved in parts like everything else.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: November 16, 2011, 12:01:12 pm »

Will it work with 5 ships with one cargo bay apiece? I was hauling Research Labs and Infastructure around like this...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: November 16, 2011, 12:25:28 pm »

If it does work, it's a horrible waste of resources. I suggest making a 5 cargo one with any new technology you have recently gained.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:32:56 pm by Micro102 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: November 16, 2011, 12:27:52 pm »

It it does work, it's a horrible waste of resources. I suggest making a 5 cargo one with any new technology you have recently gained.

+1. 5 cargo holds is basically the law of nature for freighters. Always work in multiples of five with cargo holds, as most installations require five to be transported in one piece.

Ah, good, finally managed to catch some of those colony ships. Time to make an updated model with only a single cryo storage, so they still make massive profit but don't drop millions to their deaths on unterraformed worlds with 100 seed infrastructure.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:32:55 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8451 on: November 16, 2011, 12:38:01 pm »

It it does work, it's a horrible waste of resources. I suggest making a 5 cargo one with any new technology you have recently gained.

+1. 5 cargo holds is basically the law of nature for freighters. Always work in multiples of five with cargo holds, as most installations require five to be transported in one piece.

Ah, good, finally managed to catch some of those colony ships. Time to make an updated model with only a single cryo storage, so they still make massive profit but don't drop millions to their deaths on unterraformed worlds with 100 seed infrastructure.

In order for them to be making the massive profit you need more cryo modules, not less. The bug that is causing hybrid cryo/luxury ships to be so profitable is that the luxury liners x40 to income per passenger is being applied to the cryo colonists as well, and as cryo carries 40x as many passengers...
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: November 16, 2011, 12:43:24 pm »

Do you even need the money? I have never seen a need.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: November 16, 2011, 12:46:31 pm »

In order for them to be making the massive profit you need more cryo modules, not less. The bug that is causing hybrid cryo/luxury ships to be so profitable is that the luxury liners x40 to income per passenger is being applied to the cryo colonists as well, and as cryo carries 40x as many passengers...

Ah, I had assumed that it was related to there being a set profit per load carried, rather than being based on numbers. Well, I've got >800k in the treasury, so I can eat the costs while I get my colonies terraformed and build up Earth's population to the point where there are enough workers to run everything. I've got 52m too few because of the mass-dumping they've been doing. Hell, I can probably stay in the black with the civ superfreighters and two of the mixed ships while I design a new model that will generate absurd profit, but will only let them build a few of. I'd rather deal with dumps of 1m colonists every so often than multiple dumps of 100,000 every day.

Do you even need the money? I have never seen a need.

Without sufficient wealth, you can't run your industry, shipyards, anything. It is the only limit that can't be SMed away, and is a pain to keep up with early on unless you use a trick like this.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: November 16, 2011, 12:49:12 pm »

It can be SMed away. Just give yourself absurd amount of money.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:49 pm »

When I cheat, I prefer to at least make it plausible within the context of RP. Hence why I never SMed in installations, even before I hadn't gotten bored of cheat games.

Also, BUILD THIS IN TEN DAYS YOU SOBS

Code: [Select]
Nelson II class Luxury Liner    200,000 tons     2576 Crew     8854.8 BP      TCS 4000  TH 8000  EM 0
2000 km/s     Armour 1-304     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 28    Max Repair 50 MSP
Colonists 500000    Passengers 2000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 140   

Magneto-plasma Drive E0.6 (40)    Power 200    Fuel Use 6%    Signature 200    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 850,000 Litres    Range 127.5 billion km   (737 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: November 16, 2011, 12:57:21 pm »

So you're complaining that it can't be SMed away because you don't want to SM it away? :p

Seriously, just RP it as you switching to a war economy, or your government printing money.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: November 16, 2011, 01:00:21 pm »

Without sufficient wealth, you can't run your industry, shipyards, anything. It is the only limit that can't be SMed away, and is a pain to keep up with early on unless you use a trick like this.

Well that is odd. I must have been lucky in every game I have played because I have never had problems running any industry or shipyards and I never made any luxury ships.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: November 16, 2011, 01:05:37 pm »

Will it work with 5 ships with one cargo bay apiece? I was hauling Research Labs and Infastructure around like this...
No, as I said, PDC components cannot be transported in pieces. Everything else can though, as you said.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: November 16, 2011, 01:38:35 pm »

Well that is odd. I must have been lucky in every game I have played because I have never had problems running any industry or shipyards and I never made any luxury ships.
Ditto. Economy almost seems to be superfluous in my games, as I regularly wind up with hundreds of thousands of 'credits' piling up in the first few decades. Maybe it's because I tend to expand pretty slow? My labs are in constant full use, and if I have the Mercassium, I'm constantly adding more. I even buy the mineral output of every CMC that pops up.  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 1347