Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819784 times)

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8055 on: November 01, 2011, 12:02:27 pm »

The ability to assign FACs to squadrons would also be greatly appreciated.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: November 01, 2011, 12:19:33 pm »

Press F7.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: November 01, 2011, 12:59:27 pm »

Hey guys, 1st turn is done on the community empire.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: November 01, 2011, 02:23:59 pm »

Press F7.
I thought that only worked for fighter sized ships?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: November 01, 2011, 02:31:11 pm »

Oh. My apologies, I read "FAC" as "Fighters".
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: November 02, 2011, 02:22:52 am »

Just checking in to see what's happening with aurora lately and I discover the it will now run on a resolution of 1024x768.
See you later, I'm going to play aurora.
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: November 02, 2011, 05:19:28 pm »

Well could someone install the latest version of Aurora, add the patch, and then upload it, so I can download it. I found the corruption, but don't know how to fix it as it comes from when I am installing the patch into the main aurora file.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: November 03, 2011, 10:01:46 am »

Well after not playing for like a year, I have finally come back to Aurora.

currently playing a game thats in 2057. from a 2025 start...

however, god damn the game slowed down so bad in the late 2040's. sucked.

Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:46 am »

Yeah me too.
started in 1968, then my labs dissappeared in the eighties. :(
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8064 on: November 03, 2011, 12:42:30 pm »

Well could someone install the latest version of Aurora, add the patch, and then upload it, so I can download it. I found the corruption, but don't know how to fix it as it comes from when I am installing the patch into the main aurora file.

Which files? Just the database/exe?

edit:Here. aurora554default.rar 9.36mb. The rar contains the latest database from a fresh install + exe for 5.54.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:53:15 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: November 03, 2011, 03:31:53 pm »

adwarf: It's nigh-impossible to actually install the patch into program files, due to the way that windows completely and utterly sucks at understanding commands like "I bought you, installed you, I am your god, overwrite this file I am the god damn admin!"  I installed it to desktop and managed to patch it just fine.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: November 03, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »

I got it working it was something wrong I did when I first installed it  :-\ not sure what it was though, so thanks Metalax

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: November 04, 2011, 02:29:20 am »

So, guys, in my current game I've come up with a new fighter design that I'm going to be implimenting in my current game. Gauss Cannons!

Rather than being able to fire only once every 60 seconds like my laser-mounted fighter, this baby fires 3 times per 5 seconds, although it's damage is only 1 and its accuracy is 50%.  Its range is as pathetic as the lasers, but I think the laser does 3 damage per shot, so if all three of these shots hit, it should be the same amount of damage, except possibly more scattered along the hull.

Still, although I haven't tested either one in combat, this one looks promising, ESPECIALLY as an anti-fighter Fighter.  I like the whole idea of gauss cannons, even if they're stupidly short ranged and inaccurate.  In my current game, I'm designing my ships around gauss cannons and boarding parties.  Even my anti-missile weapons are gauss cannons, although I fear they won't be extremely useful except in large numbers..

Heres the Asgard class Fighter design:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My anti-missile turrets, currently mounted on Orbital Weapons Platforms, are quad versions of these.  So, 12 shots per 5 seconds per turret, and I currently have 5.  I kept the OWP's small so I could easily build 'em and easily transport them via tug to other planets, so each one only has one quad turret and limited armor, although each one has it's own missile detection system.  Not field tested of course, though.  Haven't even left Sol.. been setting up colonies on Mars and Titan.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: November 04, 2011, 03:06:46 am »

You've got way too much tracking speed for way too little turret.  You can track a fast object, but your turret can't shoot anything nearly as fast.  Drop the FC size down and lower the tracking speed.  Similar to range, having a higher tracking speed than weapon speed doesn't really give you anything, and on fighters you can use all the tonnage you can get.  Unless that is the smallest, because it seems like fighter FC's get boost to speed... in which case, bravo.

3k km/s is rather slow for a fighter, most people wait for ion or magneto for fighters, as they give more thrust and let you reach real fighter speeds.  No much you can do at your level though, so meh.

Gauss is a great PD, doing very well against missiles and fighters, and can mess up a large ship if they get too close.  If you have the speed advantage on your opponent, you can order your PD ship to move to an enemy, and they'll get into gauss range and start doing a little bit of damage in heavy flurries.  After all, your PD platforms get 4x3 shots every 5 seconds, that's 6 damage with the 50% acc loss, and that's comparable to a laser.  It's also pumping out damage every 5 seconds for as long as it's alive, no reactors to fuddle.  So while your laser is recharging over 60 seconds, your gauss has taken 12 shots and delivered 72 average damage.  That's some stopping power right there.  If you saw the miniseries of the new Battlestar Galactica (the few prime episodes BEFORE the main series was syndicated) then you can imagine that Galactica's anti-missile turrets were gauss.  You can pack a lot of them on and fire them fast, the modern flak cannon.

Of other note, how much maintenance have you put onto your fighter?  You can get away with adding none.  If it's just going to be out on short-range intercept then you don't -really- need any maintenance.  6.79 years on a fighter is... laughable, really.  That's like... what the hell are you doing with a fighter that leaves them out for over six years?  Especially compared to that 66 hour fuel tank.  If you could shave weight on maintenance and (maybe) fire control, then you should probably add more armor.  1 thickness armor is pretty much there to prevent solar flares from scrambling your brains.  Light combat vessels should always mount at least 3, and anything taking real fire should expect 5-10 depending on your doctrine.

Also just a ps: if your OWP is small enough, you may consider building a carrier to gather a group and move them, instead of tugging.  And fighters on a planet need to be hangared, they don't appear to benefit from maintenance facilities.  Luckily, you can design a rather cheap PDC of the "fighter storage" variety to keep your little ships out from the weather.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: November 04, 2011, 03:58:50 am »

You've got way too much tracking speed for way too little turret.  You can track a fast object, but your turret can't shoot anything nearly as fast.  Drop the FC size down and lower the tracking speed.  Similar to range, having a higher tracking speed than weapon speed doesn't really give you anything, and on fighters you can use all the tonnage you can get.  Unless that is the smallest, because it seems like fighter FC's get boost to speed... in which case, bravo.

3k km/s is rather slow for a fighter, most people wait for ion or magneto for fighters, as they give more thrust and let you reach real fighter speeds.  No much you can do at your level though, so meh.

Gauss is a great PD, doing very well against missiles and fighters, and can mess up a large ship if they get too close.  If you have the speed advantage on your opponent, you can order your PD ship to move to an enemy, and they'll get into gauss range and start doing a little bit of damage in heavy flurries.  After all, your PD platforms get 4x3 shots every 5 seconds, that's 6 damage with the 50% acc loss, and that's comparable to a laser.  It's also pumping out damage every 5 seconds for as long as it's alive, no reactors to fuddle.  So while your laser is recharging over 60 seconds, your gauss has taken 12 shots and delivered 72 average damage.  That's some stopping power right there.  If you saw the miniseries of the new Battlestar Galactica (the few prime episodes BEFORE the main series was syndicated) then you can imagine that Galactica's anti-missile turrets were gauss.  You can pack a lot of them on and fire them fast, the modern flak cannon.

Of other note, how much maintenance have you put onto your fighter?  You can get away with adding none.  If it's just going to be out on short-range intercept then you don't -really- need any maintenance.  6.79 years on a fighter is... laughable, really.  That's like... what the hell are you doing with a fighter that leaves them out for over six years?  Especially compared to that 66 hour fuel tank.  If you could shave weight on maintenance and (maybe) fire control, then you should probably add more armor.  1 thickness armor is pretty much there to prevent solar flares from scrambling your brains.  Light combat vessels should always mount at least 3, and anything taking real fire should expect 5-10 depending on your doctrine.

Also just a ps: if your OWP is small enough, you may consider building a carrier to gather a group and move them, instead of tugging.  And fighters on a planet need to be hangared, they don't appear to benefit from maintenance facilities.  Luckily, you can design a rather cheap PDC of the "fighter storage" variety to keep your little ships out from the weather.

I didn't notice the fire control until recently, and that was going to be my next research project here shortly.  I've upgraded the engine and thus the weapon's tracking speed, although it still falls far too short of the fire control. The speed of the new ship is 4800 km/s, and the tracking speed is the same.

As for the maintenance, its a single fighter-sized engineering space, which is only .1 size.  I'm rather surprised it gives it a 6-year life myself.  The most I could add right now in place of it is another tiny fuel tank, which might be useful, as with the new engine it only has 41 hours (.7 billion range still) of fuel.

Even if I lower the fire control, I won't be gaining much HS space.  It is already at .2 HS, so the most I could get out of it is another HS for say, a fuel tank.  Perhaps with losing the engineering space and that .1 HS I could add an extra layer of armor.. I'm using Composite.

I figure with the fire control, I can always update the speed of the ship, which will in turn increase the tracking speed of its non-turret mounted gun. 

Here is the slightly updated model, using your recommendation of tossing the engineering space in leiu of another fuel tank:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1347