Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819882 times)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7965 on: October 30, 2011, 03:32:47 pm »

Terran Federation sounds good to me. Maybe we can have a revolution and change it later :P

As for forum, I assume it will be on the Play With Your Buddies subforum. Personally I'd go for a more active LP forum and go heavy on the user interaction, like Boatmurdered on Somethingawful. Of course, I have a paid SA account already but wouldn't really expect everyone else to go for one.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: October 30, 2011, 03:42:39 pm »

Lol, paying...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: October 30, 2011, 03:49:17 pm »

Ha, paying to get into SA.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: October 30, 2011, 03:50:21 pm »

In some cases you really do get what you pay for. I don't think it's coincidence that many of the most famous LPs are from there.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: October 30, 2011, 03:54:12 pm »

I'll respectfully pass on paying to get into SA.  If I had the money to be paying that, I'd be playing EVE Online instead of Aurora, most likely.  :P  We'll just do it on the subforumes here, with a link to the page from this thread.

About half way done with this business class shit, then I'll start the game.

Terran Federation it is! We can vote to change it later if the need or want arises.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: October 30, 2011, 04:03:06 pm »

I'd also vote for a TN start (we can suspect noobs will be in) but we can give a low starting RP.  And real stars, sol start, invaders off for now, precursor and swarm on always, NPR generation at either 0 or 50, go big or go home, 1 starting NPR...  No realistic promotions and no fleet training, but yes maintenance.  We'll start with a relatively softcore game for now and do more strict later.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: October 30, 2011, 04:04:23 pm »

So, are you guys organizing a game? A Let's Play?

If so, I will be watching eagerly.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: October 30, 2011, 04:09:15 pm »

So, are you guys organizing a game? A Let's Play?

If so, I will be watching eagerly.

Aye, we are

I'd also vote for a TN start (we can suspect noobs will be in) but we can give a low starting RP.  And real stars, sol start, invaders off for now, precursor and swarm on always, NPR generation at either 0 or 50, go big or go home, 1 starting NPR...  No realistic promotions and no fleet training, but yes maintenance.  We'll start with a relatively softcore game for now and do more strict later.

I was personally voting for a conventional era start myself.  My first turn will be focusing on getting us into TN so that player 2 and beyond will be able to work with that.

Real stars, sol start, invaders off, precurser and swarm On is something I totally agree with.

NPR generation I was thinking at 50%, and as for starting NPR's I was thinking 0, but 1 is fine too. 

I agree with the no realistic promotions or fleet training, though I generally have those on in my games.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: October 30, 2011, 04:42:26 pm »

I personally like to do a TN start with zero research points. Lets you still be able to build some simple ships at the start, but doesn't give you too much of a head start (it pretty much gives you the first rank of every weapon tech, and also thermal engines and geological sensors). Also, I might have to take a turn at some later date.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: October 30, 2011, 05:08:12 pm »

Hm.. where do I find the save files at? o.O

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: October 30, 2011, 05:28:54 pm »

There aren't specific save files, everything is stored inside Stevefire.mdb so that's what you will need to pass around. (You probably want to start with a fresh one so you aren't handing around hundreds of mb of old saves.)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: October 30, 2011, 05:34:35 pm »

So... I've managed to, after one entire of bashing my head against the keyboard, to make the computer use "." instead of "," for numbers, thus allowing me to play. So, I'll probably want to join this community game, once I learn to play.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: October 30, 2011, 05:38:30 pm »

Yeah I would recomend a new install of teh game so it has a new unused database file.  Or just a copy of the main directory will stop you accidenly losing all the other games you might have.  I think thats what I will do.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: October 30, 2011, 05:42:19 pm »

Yea I copied the one with all my save files onto my desktop and copied the fresh save one from the download into my game and now I'm making the start now.

So do we all want 1 npr to start with, or 0 and have them be genned as we go?

Thats the only real question I have left while making this game..

Edit: Oh, and, what site should we post the save on for dl?

I personally like to do a TN start with zero research points. Lets you still be able to build some simple ships at the start, but doesn't give you too much of a head start (it pretty much gives you the first rank of every weapon tech, and also thermal engines and geological sensors). Also, I might have to take a turn at some later date.

Reason I'd rather do a conventional start is that we start out with too much stuff - even if we only give ourselves one shipyard for example, it might start out as a 9k ton naval shipyard.

Don't worry though, in my first five years I hope to have a large amount of our CI turned into TN stuff and I'll get some of the base techs researched. 

Edit: Oh screw it, I'll do a TN start for this game.  Perhaps the next one we'll do Conventional. lol
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:50:10 pm by Crustypeanut »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: October 30, 2011, 05:59:57 pm »

For now basics, keep it simple, TN start.  Mediafire seems legit too.
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 1347