Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819944 times)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7905 on: October 30, 2011, 01:14:27 am »

You missed the Active Sensor Strength, but apart from that I am wondering how many labs you used to research that over 35 years?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: October 30, 2011, 01:17:27 am »

You missed the Active Sensor Strength, but apart from that I am wondering how many labs you used to research that over 35 years?
20 Labs using a scientist with a 25% bonus. My Research per lab is also 500 RP, and that produces a grand total of 10,000 RP Annually.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: October 30, 2011, 01:19:14 am »

Why do you have a carrier for your carriers?

Also I'd suggest that your mothership have spare troops.  Don't carry just enough to fit a boarding attempt, fit 2-3x as much.  After all, this is your ammo, and you wouldn't go into a fight with one salvo of missiles.  And don't forget how valuable replacement battalions are.  They instantly remove part of themselves to "heal" another battalion, so sending in 3 marines and 1 replacement can give you quite a bit of effective firepower.  You'll still be full health while they take hits.  And when you botch a landing, you can repair troops quicker if you have a replacement bat on standby.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: October 30, 2011, 01:24:09 am »

Also I'd suggest that your mothership have spare troops.  Don't carry just enough to fit a boarding attempt, fit 2-3x as much.  After all, this is your ammo, and you wouldn't go into a fight with one salvo of missiles.  And don't forget how valuable replacement battalions are.  They instantly remove part of themselves to "heal" another battalion, so sending in 3 marines and 1 replacement can give you quite a bit of effective firepower.  You'll still be full health while they take hits.  And when you botch a landing, you can repair troops quicker if you have a replacement bat on standby.

The "Carrier for my Carriers" is a heavy duty, long range carrier, whereas the FAC carrier is shorter range, but much, much faster.  The larger one is meant for the majority of the voyage, as it contains the scanning equipment, repairs, extra fuel, and troop quarters.

You're right about having more than one company, though.. I'll work on designing it shortly. 

But if my marines botch a landing.. they're probably screwed.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: October 30, 2011, 01:35:05 am »

Since it sounds like you want your megacarrier out of combat (the next system or two over?) then it should be a proper carrier.  Fuel and munitions, and a large passive to help it detect and flee from threats.  Fuel is fuel, munitions is troops.  I think you'll want a rather lot of them, even using 1 company per enemy ship (assuming 100% strike success) doesn't leave you much of a body count.  You're going to need supporting conventional warships, methinks, with your troops going after the significant ships (probably the larger ones) while the smaller get wrecked.

If possible, I'd outfit your mid-carrier (the fast one) with some box launchers and some long range missiles.  If a missile has a tiny passive sensor, it can re-assign a target, and guide itself in to some degree.  So you could fire off a volley at, say, 25m km for shorter ranged warheads and maybe 75m km for cruise missiles.  Link them all to one fire control to save FC space, and when they strike their target they should destroy it and then retarget any nearby ships, allowing you to do damage to a whole enemy strike force at range.  The beauty about box launchers is that they're 15% the size, but only reloaded inside a hangar or orbiting a colony.  Since these ships will be hangared, you might take advantage of it for some box launchers.  It gives you one solid salvo, and anything left alive will be softened for boarding.

Of course, at this point you're trying to fit a lot of tools onto a small ship, so give and take what you want.  You could also have an independent conventional warship with box launchers as extra firepower, and allow it to dock after your troop ship leaves, effectively "hot bunking" your hangar space and utilizing it for box reloads.  Either way, I imagine vikings using laser batteries and plasma carronades, just shredding enemy armor as they brutally tear into the hull.  None of this "piercing armor and striking engines" bullock.  We'll just blast them to sand!  Lots of relatively small weapons firing hard and fast!

Hangars open up a lot of very creative options, either way...

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: October 30, 2011, 01:55:15 am »

Your ideas are pretty neat, although I respectfully disagree with the plasma caronades and laser batteries.  I imagine vikings taking over enemy ships to get the most out of everything - plus, they love a good old fashioned brawl - only in this case, its more of a shoot out.  Also, you can imagine the marines working themselves in to a berserker rage right before they launch... with alcohol, of course.  If yer gonna die, (and their chances of that are high), might as well die in a drunken rage.

So thats my #1 goal - board and take over ships, when possible.  I understand how the larger ships would be more of a prize than a smaller one though.. I mean, that small one might only be useful for scrap in the long run, whereas the larger ones might have more advanced technology, be useful in combat for myself, or at least a large haul of scrap metal.

Edit: Also, can Ground Unit Training Facilities work without a local population? (Aka on Valhalla, previously known as Luna) If so, I'm gonna just move all my facilities over to Valhalla and make sure to keep a supply of minerals there for their training.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:57:36 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: October 30, 2011, 03:57:53 am »

Actually, I like the idea of a large fleet of seized ships with only the troop carrier being viking-made. Just fight with wathever you've got and raid NPR for more ships.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7912 on: October 30, 2011, 04:53:31 am »

yes, ground training facilities don't need population in order to work.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: October 30, 2011, 05:49:09 am »

Well, I heard he likes carriers.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7914 on: October 30, 2011, 06:52:50 am »

Well, I heard he likes carriers.

yo dawg i heard you like carriers.
so we put carriers in your carriers.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: October 30, 2011, 09:52:31 am »

Wait....Aurora is multiplayer? Or am I misunderstanding?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: October 30, 2011, 10:46:27 am »

Wait....Aurora is multiplayer? Or am I misunderstanding?
it is multiplayer if a bit odd, but it is still multiplayer

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: October 30, 2011, 10:47:05 am »

link/explain please? DO WANT
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: October 30, 2011, 10:54:16 am »

No multiplayer in the game as such, the only real way to work it would be to hotseat a game and switch between teams via the SM mode.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: October 30, 2011, 10:57:18 am »

Its sorta multiplayer :P though I would love an actual multiplayer function, so we could have an all out war between all those from Bay 12 who play Aurora
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 1347