Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820044 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7845 on: October 29, 2011, 08:17:25 pm »

I'm going to attempt a suicide tactic, which is basically several bare ships flying into the asteroid-less system and dumping hundreds of missiles with sensors on board. Hopefully I can atleast take out all the soldiers.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: October 29, 2011, 08:34:41 pm »

Holy crap, the invaders' missiles are moving at 80,000 km/s.  o.O my Meson PDC's are only meant to handle 12,000 km/s..

I have a feeling.. Earth is gonna be hurtin' shortly.

Luckily there are only two salvos of 4 missiles each.  That means I'll have eight quad meson turrets aimed at each salvo..
Use anything you have as shields hell if you have freighters use them to block incoming fire, and to draw the enemy's attention, so your actual combat ships can take them out.

Note: This is a last ditch plan only use in a dire emergency.

Yea there lies the problem - I have no Navy to speak of, yet.  I have two ships designed, but none built.  >.>
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: October 29, 2011, 08:38:48 pm »

Have you used your starting build points under Spacemaster in the OOB section?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7848 on: October 29, 2011, 08:41:18 pm »

Right, so I'm setting up listening posts (judging by Paul's LP, they're just rocks with deep space tracking stations on them, correct?) near the jump points to the Swarm infested systems. If they're coming, I'll see them.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7849 on: October 29, 2011, 09:34:25 pm »

Have you used your starting build points under Spacemaster in the OOB section?

Conventional Empire start, so I didn't get any research or build points.  Its already the year 2064 (Started in 2025), but I've been focusing on economy.  Having a scientist with 40% Construction/Production speciality and up to 30 research labs is NICE.

As for the Invaders, I've been hitting them with 8 salvos of 10 size-6 missile apiece over and over, but only about 13% of the missiles hit.  I don't think I'm going to be able to break their shields even..

Oh well, at least I've tasted my first bit of combat.  XD
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:38:29 pm by Crustypeanut »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: October 29, 2011, 09:35:42 pm »

You can still build and research stuff without points. The points are just there to give a sense of "fairness". Nothing stopping you from instanting the entire tech tree.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: October 29, 2011, 09:38:46 pm »

You can still build and research stuff without points. The points are just there to give a sense of "fairness". Nothing stopping you from instanting the entire tech tree.

I don't like to cheat.  I don't even like to start with trans-newtonian technology.  I prefer conventional era starts, it feels more.. natural.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: October 29, 2011, 09:39:06 pm »

If I had to, I would camp the jump point to Sol on my side with "ships" which are basically nothing but floating magazines and launchers, when the Invaders jump through you might be able to break them down with your missile spam provided they suffer jump blindness like you do.

In other words, rating 210 geo team finding millions of minerals on a nearby world. :D

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: October 29, 2011, 09:40:59 pm »

I don't like to cheat.  I don't even like to start with trans-newtonian technology.  I prefer conventional era starts, it feels more.. natural.
And that's perfectly fine. No one ever said you had to use the points either  ;)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: October 29, 2011, 09:43:47 pm »

And that's perfectly fine. No one ever said you had to use the points either  ;)

Very true, lol.  Next time I'll just make sure I have a bit of a navy before I go exploring potentially hostile systems.  In this game I had kinda gotten a strong land based army before a navy, because.. well, I like ground troops and wanted to be able to withstand a ground invasion.. kinda stupid now that I think about it, as they can just blast my troops from above.  XD 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: October 29, 2011, 09:45:11 pm »

Protip: plasma carronades give some of the best damage output ever, if you can get in range.  Plasma warp defense is powerful stuff!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7856 on: October 29, 2011, 09:45:11 pm »

Very true, lol.  Next time I'll just make sure I have a bit of a navy before I go exploring potentially hostile systems.  In this game I had kinda gotten a strong land based army before a navy, because.. well, I like ground troops and wanted to be able to withstand a ground invasion.. kinda stupid now that I think about it, as they can just blast my troops from above.  XD
Not sure about the latest version, but back in my old version NPRs didn't even bother with ground invasions. Unless you are the one doing the invading, ground troops are pretty useless.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: October 29, 2011, 09:46:13 pm »

Supposedly the Precursors use loaded troop transports and will happily dump them on a dig you might have. Not like the army would be of any use on Earth, but whatever...

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: October 29, 2011, 09:49:50 pm »

Well I was going all Viking-themed with my empire, so I had planned on having a large number of boarding parties and use ground invasions myself.  Screw ship to ship engagement, thats sissy stuff! Apparently the Invaders thought otherwise of my currently not-researched tactics.

My next game (No invaders this time) will still focus on ground troops over naval forces.  At most I'll try and disable ships, rather than destroy them, then use boarding parties to take 'em over. 

Protip: plasma carronades give some of the best damage output ever, if you can get in range.  Plasma warp defense is powerful stuff!

Well I do plan on getting into close range with my ships once I get them designed, so I'll look into this.  Though I'd rather take over the ships than blast them into smithereens..
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:56:12 pm by Crustypeanut »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: October 29, 2011, 10:16:08 pm »

So... If I have 2 hangars, I will be able to fit a 2000 ton ship, correct?
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 1347