Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820144 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7770 on: October 29, 2011, 01:26:25 am »

Actually, railguns do require power to fire. The only non-missile weapons that don't need any power are Gauss cannons.
Which is stupid really considering you're using a huge particle accelerator which doesn't exactly run on nothing but good faith.

CIWS are not something any sane person would want to use. Feasible or not, they're useless.
Actually my first warships had both tier 2 CIWS and TIER 2 antimissles, against the precursors i found in proxima centauri only the CIWS actually managed to stop any missiles (around 15%), and most of their failure was due to lack of training.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7771 on: October 29, 2011, 04:51:10 am »

Well I just finished building two ~50,000 ton Destroyers to act as a quick defense for Earth until I get some PDCs, and actual defense capable ships. Well it turns out I totally failed I forgot to put engines on the damned things, so they are now just chunks of Duranium with 30 Dual 15cm Laser Turrets and 6 20 CM Railguns floating around Earth

Orbital defense bases!

Started a new game today, and already thinking about another Aurora LP. Undecided if I want to do a narrative style LP, or maybe a hybrid LP/tutorial since everyone complains about the lack of an up to date one.

Edit: Does a railgun on a defense platform have a tracking speed of 0?

No it will have tracking speed equal to the tracking speed you have researched.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: October 29, 2011, 06:40:26 am »

Well I just finished building two ~50,000 ton Destroyers to act as a quick defense for Earth until I get some PDCs, and actual defense capable ships. Well it turns out I totally failed I forgot to put engines on the damned things, so they are now just chunks of Duranium with 30 Dual 15cm Laser Turrets and 6 20 CM Railguns floating around Earth

Orbital defense bases!

Started a new game today, and already thinking about another Aurora LP. Undecided if I want to do a narrative style LP, or maybe a hybrid LP/tutorial since everyone complains about the lack of an up to date one.

Which is usually a bit slower than you want, so I'd recommend putting turrets on platforms rather than built-in guns. The extra weight of a turret isn't nearly as much of an issue for a platform.

CIWS are not something any sane person would want to use. Feasible or not, they're useless.
....I use them all the damn time.  ???
Against an enemy that fires manageable salvoes (Precursors in my main game have a slew of ships that fire 3-9 size 8 missiles in a volley) they're golden once you get the gauss ROF up to 4. Now, they get hopelessly overwhelmed by the 60-shot volleys of AMMs that the orbital platforms launch, but that's a different issue.

I find that putting 1-2 CIWS on a scout vessel drastically improves its survivability when meeting new and interesting lifeforms who decide they want to kill me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:50:35 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7773 on: October 29, 2011, 07:06:56 am »

Orbital defense bases!

Which is usually a bit slower than you want, so I'd recommend putting turrets on platforms rather than built-in guns. The extra weight of a turret isn't nearly as much of an issue for a platform.

Indeed, though I think he was mainly refering to the accidental defence platforms you get when you forget to add the engines.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: October 29, 2011, 07:38:31 am »

Eh... I'm just going to post some guards at the point and never step foot in that hellhole ever again. I'm going to wait for the other spoiler enemy or some stupid NPR to come along and weaken them a bit.

And yeah, it's the Swarm. Swarms of 800 ton ships armed with some "energy/kinetic" weapon and a single 60,000 ton ship far out.
The wrecks have to come from somewhere, and so did that massive ship. If you wait they are more likely to come back with three times that force after all I believe the assimalate asteroids, and comets into ships (Not completely sure there) and the Swarm doesn't take kindly to other life forms, adn they will hunt you until they find your home planet, and rip it to shreds.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: October 29, 2011, 07:53:35 am »

Eh... I'm just going to post some guards at the point and never step foot in that hellhole ever again. I'm going to wait for the other spoiler enemy or some stupid NPR to come along and weaken them a bit.

And yeah, it's the Swarm. Swarms of 800 ton ships armed with some "energy/kinetic" weapon and a single 60,000 ton ship far out.
The wrecks have to come from somewhere, and so did that massive ship. If you wait they are more likely to come back with three times that force after all I believe the assimalate asteroids, and comets into ships (Not completely sure there) and the Swarm doesn't take kindly to other life forms, adn they will hunt you until they find your home planet, and rip it to shreds.

Aye, its been confirmed. They turn asteroids into matter then turn it into ships.

Leave them in there long enough and its little more than letter a few rats and roaches loose in a closed-off house full of trash. Sure, they won't bother you at first, but when there's thousands of them they'll surely find a way out. :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: October 29, 2011, 08:41:43 am »

There's no asteroids or comets in that system, lucky me.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: October 29, 2011, 08:43:52 am »

Is there a way to other systems beside yours for all we know they could just be an advance guard before the Hives arrive in your system.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: October 29, 2011, 08:48:00 am »

Is there a way to other systems beside yours for all we know they could just be an advance guard before the Hives arrive in your system.
Yes, there i-

Lock and load, men, we're hunting bugs...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: October 29, 2011, 08:59:09 am »

Yoru welcome, and I would suggest don't rush in you will need a sizable fleet with some good weaponry to even get close to their Hives to wipe them out.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: October 29, 2011, 09:07:38 am »

So let's see, I need:
- A sensor ship, rigged with the standard stuff and a sensor specifically built to track 800 ton vessels
- A bunch of ASM ships armed with missiles, also armed with sensors
- Beam ships, to take down those tiny bastards alongside the ASM ships

What else?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: October 29, 2011, 09:12:51 am »

I would say a ship with a several squads of long-range fighters to distract those 800 ton ships that will be in abundance, but its up to you. Just be careful, and make sure to wipe out all the ones in the system you are guarding before moving on as you don't want any sneaking up behind you, or taking Earth while your away.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: October 29, 2011, 10:24:32 am »

Question: do asteroid miners work on comets?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: October 29, 2011, 10:26:36 am »

Pretty sure they do.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: October 29, 2011, 10:57:15 am »

So... Uh... How would I go about designing a good carrier and a good fighter?
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 1347