Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820148 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7755 on: October 28, 2011, 09:35:58 pm »

I'm just ignoring the war going on now. I placed a survey ship at the jump point and having it sit there for a while, if anything comes through it'll see it. If not, it'll get shot at.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: October 28, 2011, 09:38:44 pm »

Well I just finished building two ~50,000 ton Destroyers to act as a quick defense for Earth until I get some PDCs, and actual defense capable ships. Well it turns out I totally failed I forgot to put engines on the damned things, so they are now just chunks of Duranium with 30 Dual 15cm Laser Turrets and 6 20 CM Railguns floating around Earth

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: October 28, 2011, 09:45:47 pm »

Well I just finished building two ~50,000 ton Destroyers to act as a quick defense for Earth until I get some PDCs, and actual defense capable ships. Well it turns out I totally failed I forgot to put engines on the damned things, so they are now just chunks of Duranium with 30 Dual 15cm Laser Turrets and 6 20 CM Railguns floating around Earth

Orbital defense bases!

Started a new game today, and already thinking about another Aurora LP. Undecided if I want to do a narrative style LP, or maybe a hybrid LP/tutorial since everyone complains about the lack of an up to date one.

Edit: Does a railgun on a defense platform have a tracking speed of 0?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: October 28, 2011, 10:05:06 pm »

I really, really hope not. They're right next door to sol *shudder*

Hey, another one dropped dead. 800 ton "Rakshasa" class vessels.

That portrait is really effin creepy.
From personal experience, I'm pretty sure that the Starswarm always have that portrait. So the chances of it being starswarm is very very high.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: October 28, 2011, 10:14:19 pm »

In my current game I fully expect to run out of minerals in the "not distant enough for my liking" future.  It's not as easy as it looks starting with no research but I will persevere until either we get obliterated or lack of resources strands us in space.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: October 28, 2011, 10:35:04 pm »

I have realized I have no idea how to reload my missiles. Can anyone enlighten me?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: October 28, 2011, 10:39:31 pm »

Two ways:

Quickest: Make sure you assigned the ordnance you want that class to typically have, then give the Task Group an order to reload on the planet with missiles. I'm not sure if this works with anything but planets.

Most specific: Open up the Ship/Individual Unit Details window, select the ship, and pick Ordnance Management, where everything should be pretty easy to understand.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: October 28, 2011, 10:45:47 pm »

Welp, I went to that system again, 2 ships armed with 500 size 6 ASMs each. Located a 60,000 ton thing named the Sparrowhawk by the intel officers all the way across the system and started to fly towards it. Suddenly, those tiny bastards come out of nowhere and eat my ships.

Time to face... The Swarm.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:50:07 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: October 29, 2011, 12:11:19 am »

If you can figure out the swarm they're easier to fight.  Know thy enemy.  I believe that missiles tend to work rather well for swarms.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: October 29, 2011, 12:17:06 am »

I really, really hope not. They're right next door to sol *shudder*

Hey, another one dropped dead. 800 ton "Rakshasa" class vessels.

That portrait is really effin creepy.
From personal experience, I'm pretty sure that the Starswarm always have that portrait. So the chances of it being starswarm is very very high.

Nope. My current game has Precursors with that portrait, along with a 3rd Reich flag.

Yeah... Luckily, I've never faced many ships so I just micromanage the combat.

Some random aliens jumped my geosurvey vessel with many ships with thermal sigs of 160, all of them using kinetic/energy weapons. That's not it, though, for a single increment, I saw one of their wrecks appear in a system I have no presence in, then disappear the next... Also, the wreck of my geosurvey ship is gone...
Space Swarm Maybe ? Or highly advanced NPR?

Vanishing wrecks sounds like Swarm to me.

If you can figure out the swarm they're easier to fight.  Know thy enemy.  I believe that missiles tend to work rather well for swarms.

That, or just making ships that are faster than theirs with lasers/particle beams/railguns/gauss cannons and staying out of meson range. Missile spam is usually best for the Hives, but only if you can put together a heavy enough barrage to wear down the shields.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: October 29, 2011, 12:17:59 am »

Eh... I'm just going to post some guards at the point and never step foot in that hellhole ever again. I'm going to wait for the other spoiler enemy or some stupid NPR to come along and weaken them a bit.

And yeah, it's the Swarm. Swarms of 800 ton ships armed with some "energy/kinetic" weapon and a single 60,000 ton ship far out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: October 29, 2011, 12:20:17 am »

Eh... I'm just going to post some guards at the point and never step foot in that hellhole ever again. I'm going to wait for the other spoiler enemy or some stupid NPR to come along and weaken them a bit.

And yeah, it's the Swarm. Swarms of 800 ton ships armed with some "energy/kinetic" weapon and a single 60,000 ton ship far out.

What, you don't want to fight off a relentless alien menace that will soon invade your home system and which offers no benefit for destroying them apart from your own survival?

(Seriously, no wrecks to steal from. Can't salvage bits of frozen ichor, after all...)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: October 29, 2011, 12:36:34 am »

Nope. My current game has Precursors with that portrait, along with a 3rd Reich flag.
I did not say that only the Starswarm could have that portrait. I said that they always have it. So my point still stands.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: October 29, 2011, 12:38:04 am »

Thanks to that picture, now I'm going to imagine all Swarm creatures as giant floating ticks/fleas in space.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: October 29, 2011, 12:41:19 am »

That's kind of what they are, though. Except with more spaceship involved.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 1347