Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820249 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7680 on: October 27, 2011, 06:43:00 pm »

What I always do to avoid that is make all shipyards make ships to the Shipyard Task Group, then detach them into a separate task group and have them rendezvous with their designated task group.

So I have a mass driver on a asteroid and a group of mining ships told to do extended orbit. How do I get them to mine?

Don't have them do an extended orbit, have them simply "Move to" the asteroid and sit there.

I have 10 "Dwarf" Class Asteroid Mining Ships around a single asteroid atm doing that, mining at about 500 tons a year (of each mineral).  Its pretty good stuff, I'm glad I made these ships. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:45:03 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: October 27, 2011, 06:53:36 pm »

Finally managed to salvage the ten bajillion (read: thirty four) wrecks in Alpha Centauri. Total haul from that was around 25,000 tons of minerals, a large number of various modules which gave me a ton of progress towards thermal and EM, gauss weapons, missile launchers and magazine, and armor.

Also, in order to avoid annoyance, I scuttled the various Precursor transports under my control so I could get on with the game, as they were too tough for the other Precursor ships to kill, but too slow to outrun them. But I cheated by transferring their battalions to Earth beforehand.  So I got:
Heavy Assault x6
Assault Infantry x6
Marines x6
Mobile Infantry x6

for free as well. Plus about fifteen thousand AMMs that I'm going to scrap because they aren't very good by my usual standards.

Precursors are the cookie jars of the galaxy, neh? :3

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:07:18 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: October 27, 2011, 09:21:30 pm »

Finally managed to salvage the ten bajillion (read: thirty four) wrecks in Alpha Centauri. Total haul from that was around 25,000 tons of minerals, a large number of various modules which gave me a ton of progress towards thermal and EM, gauss weapons, missile launchers and magazine, and armor.

Also, in order to avoid annoyance, I scuttled the various Precursor transports under my control so I could get on with the game, as they were too tough for the other Precursor ships to kill, but too slow to outrun them. But I cheated by transferring their battalions to Earth beforehand.  So I got:
Heavy Assault x6
Assault Infantry x6
Marines x6
Mobile Infantry x6

for free as well. Plus about fifteen thousand AMMs that I'm going to scrap because they aren't very good by my usual standards.

Precursors are the cookie jars of the galaxy, neh? :3

How do you get your galactic map looking so neat and ordered? My first solar system I went to is like clumped up right net to Sol on the map.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: October 27, 2011, 09:35:17 pm »

Shift-drag to move them around, and there is a save button somewhere there too.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: October 27, 2011, 09:47:26 pm »

Got it, thanks! :D

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: October 27, 2011, 10:00:50 pm »

After reading half of Paul's Lost In Space scenario, I think doing something like that would actually be pretty fun. No LP, though. What would a good NPR spawn chance be for something like that, leaving some habitable worlds but spawning a bunch of other empires to clash with?

Not doing it today though. My shittop (spin on desktop, not laptop) would kill itself if I tried to run Aurora on it.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: October 27, 2011, 10:45:46 pm »

Kael, you're playing it too!   :D

Any ideas how to find warp points? I'm bored of Sol  ;)
You have to either build a ship with a jump engine, or design a ship to construct a warp gate that lets ships without jump engines to use the jump point.

Oh, wait, what? I could've sent my geosurvey and gravsurvey vessels (with jump drives ) to other solar systems BEFORE I spent like 5 years researching, designing, retooling, building, and then constructing the jump technology/65k ton construction ship/jumpgate? Ok thats it, I'm restarting my game now that I know that.

*Sigh*

Oh well.  I had figured you needed a jump gate before you could even leave the solar system.. makes more sense now I suppose, though. 

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7687 on: October 27, 2011, 11:46:44 pm »

No need for jumpgates to move between systems if you have jump engines/jump tenders. However civilian shipping lines will only move between systems that have a jump gate on both sides of the jump point.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: October 28, 2011, 07:17:04 am »

Rawarh, I am trying to get a colony ship to bring colonists to mars, but it says they cannot carry out orders because there is a shipyard associated with the fleet. Halp

It often means that a shipyard is building a ship that is going set to join the Task Group.  This 'pins' that Task Group to the shipyard until the ship is built.  You need to move the colony ships from what Group they are in now into another, then they can move.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7689 on: October 28, 2011, 07:29:24 am »

Switch the game to basic 2d top down view with just a handful of pretty placeholder graphics (let users make those, based on picked ship class?), make a easy "what you see is what you get" building menu (Drag new engine into design window, click the + button 8 times, repeat with fuel, pay attention to red box that says "NEED XXX" and so on)

Then move on to weapon display window, drag-drop defensive weapons (Anti missle-missle lauchers) into green (defense area - will always first fire to destroy enemy incoming weapons) and attack weapons into red (always used for attack).

Control in auto-ticks you can speed up, right click a place to attack it/move, double right click to fire all weapons (including defence weapons) at the target...

Bam, somewhat user friendly game.
Your idea.

It is bad.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: October 28, 2011, 07:45:57 am »

Switch the game to basic 2d top down view with just a handful of pretty placeholder graphics (let users make those, based on picked ship class?), make a easy "what you see is what you get" building menu (Drag new engine into design window, click the + button 8 times, repeat with fuel, pay attention to red box that says "NEED XXX" and so on)

Then move on to weapon display window, drag-drop defensive weapons (Anti missle-missle lauchers) into green (defense area - will always first fire to destroy enemy incoming weapons) and attack weapons into red (always used for attack).

Control in auto-ticks you can speed up, right click a place to attack it/move, double right click to fire all weapons (including defence weapons) at the target...

Bam, somewhat user friendly game.
Your idea.

It is bad.

That just described Space Empires and Galactic Civ, two games I love but who's complexity is nothing and nowhere as entertaining as Aurora. Again, the game won't change for you, because we LOVE it this way. Want an easier interface? Play another game. Its that simple.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: October 28, 2011, 08:04:28 am »

There's really only one thing that i think really needs improvement with Aurora, and that's the Autoturn function, if only i could set it to completely ignore everything (or a selectable list of stuff i want it stopped for) and continue untill a specified time peroid has passed, that would make things so much easier and less frustrating.
Once you've identified what's causing your current round of interrupt you can just turn that off for a time and ignore it, just remember to turn it back on later otherwise you might get screwed up by not being notified of somehing actually important.
Edit: oh and multiplayer probably needs some work, i'm not sure how it works yet, but it could be pretty good
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: October 28, 2011, 08:35:26 am »

For some strange reason I cannot research Gravitational sensors...  Either my game is bugged or I have somehow completely forgotten its prerequisite technology...

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: October 28, 2011, 08:38:50 am »

Yeah, I went through that my first playthrough as well. I can't remember from memory :\ Check the Aurora Wiki
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: October 28, 2011, 08:39:56 am »

For some strange reason I cannot research Gravitational sensors...  Either my game is bugged or I have somehow completely forgotten its prerequisite technology...
Jump Point Theory?
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 1347