Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820244 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7665 on: October 27, 2011, 01:43:27 pm »

Whats a good simple, low tech PDC design? Just something to start off with.  I haven't met any enemies yet, but I'd rather have some PDCs on my homeworld just in case.

I'n this game I'm doing, I've got wormholes in the very first system surveyed  ::)

oh well, I'm building those, don't know if this will really work:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm going for huge count of small missiles, I saw them having shield with thousand hit points so I'm going for salvos of thousand missiles. I hope they could work as defense too.

Anyone knows if you can reload pdc from planet stockpiles when under combat?

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: October 27, 2011, 01:57:34 pm »

Whats a good simple, low tech PDC design? Just something to start off with.  I haven't met any enemies yet, but I'd rather have some PDCs on my homeworld just in case.

Simple. Tons of dual/quad turrets for point-defense, and the longest range missiles you have. :P You want something that can strike from afar, yet has close-range weapons to bat away any missiles that come for you or Earth.

Only use the turrets if you are using mesons. Other beam weapons don't work through atmosphere.

A good early design is 20 size 6 launchers with 5 firecontrols at resolution 50 loaded with anti ship missiles and 60 size 1 launchers with 20 resolution 1 firecontrols. Add magazines to give you at least 40 reloads per launcher. Put a resolution 1 active sensor that matches/exceeds your resolution 1 firecontrol range as a backup in case your sensor pdc gets destroyed. Put at least 10 layers of armour on your pdc, more if it does not make it too expensive. Remember that you can design pdc only launchers that have a faster fire rate.

Build in addition a pdc with maximum size active sensors at resolutions 1, 50, 100 and 500. Put the maximum 100 layers of armour on this pdc as it will be the thing that most enemies will see and shoot at. This PDC will allow your FAC's and fighters to operate near earth without needing their own sensors freeing up space which is particularly valuable at low tech levels.

Those sound good.  I'm guessing its better to build less more powerful PDCs than more less powerful ones?
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7667 on: October 27, 2011, 02:21:00 pm »

I myself have heard of swarms of fighter-sized PDCs being surprisingly effective.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: October 27, 2011, 02:28:27 pm »

They don't work if theyé on Earth. Simple solution is to put them on the moon. No such atmosphere to speak of. :)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7669 on: October 27, 2011, 02:30:22 pm »

Those sound good.  I'm guessing its better to build less more powerful PDCs than more less powerful ones?

It varies on what you are trying to achieve. Large, more powerful ones tend to be cheaper than the equivelent number of weapons spread over more pdc's. On the other hand a single lucky strike that penetrates the armour could take out your big pdc via secondry explosions in a single strike.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7670 on: October 27, 2011, 02:32:03 pm »

They don't work if theyé on Earth. Simple solution is to put them on the moon. No such atmosphere to speak of. :)
True and it is a good idea to put some there in addition, if you have the range that the 300k distance between earth and the moon is smaller than your max range.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: October 27, 2011, 02:36:17 pm »

How do you add additional magazines? Is it something I have to research first?

Nvm, found it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: October 27, 2011, 04:34:11 pm »

I have no love for the "hard way", but for a game like Aurora, sacrificing precision and control for ease of use is missing the point.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: October 27, 2011, 05:12:57 pm »

We need to find a good mix between ease of use and precision/control, me thinks.  I love having tons of precision and control, but sometimes its a hassle and makes the game less fun.  Though, its better than an oversimplified game, thats for sure.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: October 27, 2011, 05:20:57 pm »

I do not like having my game spoon fed to me, but having a better tutorial or something similar would be incredible. The first time I started Aurora was like a punch to the brain. At least DF has a command menu with the keys and what they do(or at least you are able to piece it together). Aurora is like, here you go, enjoy your mass amounts of spread sheets and different windows.  :o
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7675 on: October 27, 2011, 05:33:33 pm »

Put simply, if you can't figure out/work with the Aurora UI, it isn't the game for you. This is a game about managing with spreadsheets, derived from a spreadsheet program for a game about managing spreadsheets. The clunkyness is one of the main draws; if I wanted the lowest common denominator school of ship design, I would play a game of GalCiv 2.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7676 on: October 27, 2011, 05:52:37 pm »

Rawarh, I am trying to get a colony ship to bring colonists to mars, but it says they cannot carry out orders because there is a shipyard associated with the fleet. Halp
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7677 on: October 27, 2011, 05:53:59 pm »

Rawarh, I am trying to get a colony ship to bring colonists to mars, but it says they cannot carry out orders because there is a shipyard associated with the fleet. Halp

It means the ship is being repaired or refitted. Would you expect to use your car while its still in the mechanic's shop? Didn't think so :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7678 on: October 27, 2011, 05:59:36 pm »

Nope, this ship was part of a task force involving a ship that being built. I switched the colony ships task force and it started loading people up to send to mars, poor bastards.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7679 on: October 27, 2011, 06:20:56 pm »

So I have a mass driver on a asteroid and a group of mining ships told to do extended orbit. How do I get them to mine?
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 1347