Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820252 times)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7650 on: October 26, 2011, 04:43:50 pm »

Just wondering here, but how do I send a geological ground servey team?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7651 on: October 26, 2011, 04:46:25 pm »

Just wondering here, but how do I send a geological ground servey team?

Either create a colony on the body you want to survey and go to the teams tab, select the colony, select geosurvey team from the list and create the team there to teleport the officers to the body. Alternatively create the team on earth and use a ship using the pickup team and drop off team orders to move the team around.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: October 26, 2011, 04:50:15 pm »

Will they just do their own thing after I drop them off or what?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: October 26, 2011, 05:12:17 pm »

Yes. Just wait, they'll eventually find some resources.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: October 26, 2011, 05:34:15 pm »

Make sure to start them off on moons and planetoids with a gravity of >0.1g, as they will eventually declare that they can't find any more resources and will stop working on that body. Keep training the team until at least 140 total bonus before you send them to useful worlds, preferably more than 200.

You need the gravity to be >0.1g because the lower the total mass of the body, the longer they take to survey it, as there are generally fewer minerals. IOW don't train them on asteroids or very low gravity moons.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: October 26, 2011, 10:47:23 pm »

Always make your missile fire control range significanty higher than your expected engagement range (ie, higher than your missile range). Enemy ECM reduces your missile FC range, so I was very sad when my 30mkm active sensors, 30mkm missile range and 30mkm missile fire control range were only able to engage at 25mkm!  If my missile fire control had been 45mkm for a single extra hull space, I would have been fine.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: October 27, 2011, 12:01:36 am »

Or just overengineer everything to such a degree that you can target and hit an enemy ship with ECM-9 at 1.2b km with 100% accuracy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7657 on: October 27, 2011, 08:05:08 am »

Or install ECCM modules on your ship and link them to your firecontrol.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: October 27, 2011, 09:34:07 am »

Whats a good simple, low tech PDC design? Just something to start off with.  I haven't met any enemies yet, but I'd rather have some PDCs on my homeworld just in case.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: October 27, 2011, 10:35:51 am »

Whats a good simple, low tech PDC design? Just something to start off with.  I haven't met any enemies yet, but I'd rather have some PDCs on my homeworld just in case.

Simple. Tons of dual/quad turrets for point-defense, and the longest range missiles you have. :P You want something that can strike from afar, yet has close-range weapons to bat away any missiles that come for you or Earth.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: October 27, 2011, 10:40:12 am »

also, put sensor on separate pdc with waaaay more armor. npr loves to fire on actives sensors.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: October 27, 2011, 10:41:41 am »

Switch the game to basic 2d top down view with just a handful of pretty placeholder graphics (let users make those, based on picked ship class?), make a easy "what you see is what you get" building menu (Drag new engine into design window, click the + button 8 times, repeat with fuel, pay attention to red box that says "NEED XXX" and so on)

Then move on to weapon display window, drag-drop defensive weapons (Anti missle-missle lauchers) into green (defense area - will always first fire to destroy enemy incoming weapons) and attack weapons into red (always used for attack).

Control in auto-ticks you can speed up, right click a place to attack it/move, double right click to fire all weapons (including defence weapons) at the target...

Bam, somewhat user friendly game.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: October 27, 2011, 10:54:38 am »

...red box that says "NEED XXX" ...
... defensive weapons into green .... attack into red

and bam! instant seizure.

btw, I like the 'excel in space' look and feel.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7663 on: October 27, 2011, 11:25:37 am »

Simple. Tons of dual/quad turrets for point-defense, and the longest range missiles you have. :P You want something that can strike from afar, yet has close-range weapons to bat away any missiles that come for you or Earth.

Only use the turrets if you are using mesons. Other beam weapons don't work through atmosphere.

A good early design is 20 size 6 launchers with 5 firecontrols at resolution 50 loaded with anti ship missiles and 60 size 1 launchers with 20 resolution 1 firecontrols. Add magazines to give you at least 40 reloads per launcher. Put a resolution 1 active sensor that matches/exceeds your resolution 1 firecontrol range as a backup in case your sensor pdc gets destroyed. Put at least 10 layers of armour on your pdc, more if it does not make it too expensive. Remember that you can design pdc only launchers that have a faster fire rate.

Build in addition a pdc with maximum size active sensors at resolutions 1, 50, 100 and 500. Put the maximum 100 layers of armour on this pdc as it will be the thing that most enemies will see and shoot at. This PDC will allow your FAC's and fighters to operate near earth without needing their own sensors freeing up space which is particularly valuable at low tech levels.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:41:49 am by Metalax »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: October 27, 2011, 12:45:43 pm »

...red box that says "NEED XXX" ...
... defensive weapons into green .... attack into red

and bam! instant seizure.

btw, I like the 'excel in space' look and feel.

I like banana
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 1347