Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820358 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7590 on: October 25, 2011, 03:50:53 pm »

Whats the largest ship anyone's seen or built?

I was looking at EVE Online ships, the average frigate (A Rifter, in this case), is a bit over 1,000 tons, while a Titan class ship (Ragnarok), is over 2,000,000 tons.  I doubt its going to be possible to build that large of a ship, aye?

Edit: Even a battleship is over 100,000 tons in EVE
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:55:39 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7591 on: October 25, 2011, 03:58:46 pm »

I was looking at EVE Online ships, the average frigate (A Rifter, in this case), is a bit over 1,000 tons, while a Titan class ship (Ragnarok), is over 2,000,000 tons.  I doubt its going to be possible to build that large of a ship, aye?
That depends on your tech level and available resources. In one game I played where I got to a very advanced tech level I had main battle ships which were about 1 million tons each. They had ridiculous amounts of guns and enough missile ordinance to level whole systems. (In fact they had some of my interplanetary ballistic missiles which were extreme range MIRV drones. Drones with a range that they could reach over a billion kilometers and deliver 10 strength 30 warheads each) At that point I didn't bother with jump drives. I would build jumpgates on every point and then jump in the scout forces and EW squadron. If they detected an inhabited planet, the battleship jumped in and launched from the jump point, and kept launching while closing. It didn't stop until it reached the planet or the planet no longer registered as inhabited.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: October 25, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »

Its good to hear you can get that large of ships.. I wanted to design my ships similar to EVE Online ones, using their ship sizes as mine and such.  I'm not surprised it would take lots of resources and technology for 1 million ton ships, but I wasn't sure if that was even possible.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: October 25, 2011, 04:41:35 pm »

Edit: Even a battleship is over 100,000 tons in EVE

In Aurora a 1000 tons for a combat ship is a bit light. Fighters have a maximum of 250 tons and gunboats have a maximum of 1000. Beyond that you could theoretically build ships as big as you want. In reality you start to get overflow errors.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7594 on: October 25, 2011, 04:52:50 pm »

2,000,000 tons isn't all that big really when you have left one of your civilian shipyards on continual capacity expansion for a few decades. Big shipyards add capacity faster as they increase in size.

This is the biggest Civilian ship currently in use in my current game, mainly used for setting up new mining colonies. It can carry up to 100 mines in a single trip and unload them all in 12.5 hours.

Code: [Select]
Leviathan class Mega Freighter    4,000,000 tons     33273 Crew     183275.5 BP      TCS 80000  TH 320000  EM 0
4000 km/s     Armour 16-2244     Shields 0-0     Sensors 24/24/0/0     Damage Control Rating 11     PPV 0
MSP 315    Max Repair 150 MSP
Cargo 2500000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 2000   

Civilian Inertial Confinement Fusion Hyper Drive (800)    Power 400    Fuel Use 3%    Signature 400    Armour 0    Exp 1%    Hyper Capable
Fuel Capacity 41,615,000 Litres    Range 624.2 billion km   (1806 days at full power)

CIWS-320 (110x10)    Range 1000 km     TS: 32000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Active Search Sensor MR115-R100 (1)     GPS 4800     Range 115.2m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH1-24 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km
EM Detection Sensor EM1-24 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: October 25, 2011, 04:56:03 pm »

With an unload speed like that, I imagine it doesn't unload the mines so much as jettison them over the general area you want to put them.

Personally, I like small ships. The biggest combat ship I ever made was a 44000 ton battleship that was intended to mount captured plasma torpedoes, before I found out that they were bugged to hell  ::).

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: October 25, 2011, 04:57:33 pm »

Well, I'm glad to know I can make EVE Online ships once I get the tech.  I just need to stick with a game long enough to get that far, lol.

This game's starting to get pretty damn fun.

Edit: Lol wow, I fail SO FUCKING HARD.  Being a cheap ass who hasn't researched the basic nuclear engines yet, I made a commercial freighter with conventional engine technology.  It moves at 24 km/s.  Apparently, Mars orbits a tad faster than that, so these two ships have been chasing Mars in it's orbit for about two years now.    /sigh
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:34:47 pm by Crustypeanut »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: October 25, 2011, 06:17:33 pm »

Well, I'm glad to know I can make EVE Online ships once I get the tech.  I just need to stick with a game long enough to get that far, lol.

Eve online ships get really weird if you compare the volume to the length; like battleships end up being thousand meter long noodles.

And yeah, you can make ships (almost) arbitrarily big. There's not a lot of benefit to single behemoths over normal fleets, though if you are committed to the large ship concept shields have some nice benefits.

Edit: Lol wow, I fail SO FUCKING HARD.  Being a cheap ass who hasn't researched the basic nuclear engines yet, I made a commercial freighter with conventional engine technology.  It moves at 24 km/s.  Apparently, Mars orbits a tad faster than that, so these two ships have been chasing Mars in it's orbit for about two years now.    /sigh

Yeah, the non Transnewtonian techs are mostly just in there to show how much better TNEs are :P

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: October 25, 2011, 06:26:11 pm »

Fighters have a maximum of 250 tons...
Eh? It was 500 when I last tried to make a fighter.

You'll have to send them in the opposite direction that Mars orbits with waypoints and hope that they can catch Mars when it comes around.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: October 25, 2011, 06:51:41 pm »

You'll have to send them in the opposite direction that Mars orbits with waypoints and hope that they can catch Mars when it comes around.
[/quote]

I decommissioned those freighters lol.  I got some better ones now.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: October 25, 2011, 07:09:39 pm »

Um, Would it be more cost efficient to make mining ships to orbit asteroids or just dump a mass driver and some auto mines on it? Also If I went the ship route how would that work?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: October 25, 2011, 07:18:21 pm »

From what I've been told, for ships you need to still put a colony on the asteroid, drop a mass driver there, and have the ships with the mining modules sit next to the asteroid to do the mining, then have the mass driver launch the materials to where you want 'em.

Dunno which is more cost effective, though.  I'm going to be testing the mining ship route soon myself, as I don't have anywhere near the Corundium for a large amount of automated mines. 

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: October 25, 2011, 07:19:50 pm »

Fighters have a maximum of 250 tons...
Eh? It was 500 when I last tried to make a fighter.

Ah. I must have mis-remembered it then.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: October 25, 2011, 07:26:02 pm »

How much cargo space is needed to carry an auto mine? Or a mass driver? Where can i check this?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: October 25, 2011, 07:28:19 pm »

I have a question myself.. there is a civilian mining colony on one of Neptunes Moons (Proteus, .04 gravity).  Will they ever be of any use? Do Civilian Mining Complexes need people? Or are they just useless?

How much cargo space is needed to carry an auto mine? Or a mass driver? Where can i check this?

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Installations

Automines and Mass Drivers need 5 cargoholds a piece, if you want to move the entire thing at once.  So if you want the mining ships to carry one mass driver each, you need 5 cargoholds.  You could potentially make a group of 5 smaller ships each with one cargohold, and each carrying 1/5th of the mass driver, though.  This would need those 5 ships to be mining the same asteroid though, so they can completely assemble that mass driver.  Would be useful to make a task group for each group of 5 mining ships this way.

Personally, I would think thats more efficient than the automine route, but I haven't tested it yet. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:31:02 pm by Crustypeanut »
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 1347