Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820412 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7560 on: October 24, 2011, 02:17:19 pm »

Distance to Sol jump point: 3.36b km. Yeah, running isn't going to be an option, even if I scatter and reduce emissions. Knife range it is.

I stand by eagerly to hear of your success. May the gates of Valhalla lay open upon your arrival, and Odin smile upon you.

Most of them were missile ships, they hit me with missiles that were fast enough to cross my entire PD envelope in <5 seconds. I tried manually targetting them with my 20cm lasers, but with 7% chance TH, that wasn't nearly enough. A glorious death, and a lesson on why I should have turtled in Sol until I got a Missile/Kinetics researcher (even though I've been waiting close to 30 years.  ::))

Get 5 military academies. If the ridiculous number of new recruits doesn't include one, give up and restart cause you're doomed :p
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: October 24, 2011, 02:53:53 pm »

I dunno...I've got 8 academies in my main ongoing game (Military Dictatorship + 1bil pop start) and yet my best Logistics guy is a 40%/5 labs guy. :(

After nearly 50 years.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: October 24, 2011, 02:57:10 pm »

Look on the bright side, those 5 labs are extremely efficient. That means more labs for other jobs.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7563 on: October 24, 2011, 03:03:11 pm »

Look on the bright side, those 5 labs are extremely efficient. That means more labs for other jobs.

Yeah, but I usually have those labs tied up by my 30%/25 Propulsion tech, or my 50%/25 Missile/Kinetics guy. In most cases, 5 more labs admin rating is better than 5% better research ability -- IF you have the labs to accomadate them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: October 24, 2011, 03:36:07 pm »

Distance to Sol jump point: 3.36b km. Yeah, running isn't going to be an option, even if I scatter and reduce emissions. Knife range it is.

I stand by eagerly to hear of your success. May the gates of Valhalla lay open upon your arrival, and Odin smile upon you.

Most of them were missile ships, they hit me with missiles that were fast enough to cross my entire PD envelope in <5 seconds. I tried manually targetting them with my 20cm lasers, but with 7% chance TH, that wasn't nearly enough. A glorious death, and a lesson on why I should have turtled in Sol until I got a Missile/Kinetics researcher (even though I've been waiting close to 30 years.  ::))

If missiles are crossing your PD range in one round, it's usually best to set guns to final defensive fire. Not only will that guarantee you get a shot off, but you can set the fire range to 10,000 km (minimum for FDF) to get the best accuracy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7565 on: October 24, 2011, 04:33:34 pm »

If missiles are crossing your PD range in one round, it's usually best to set guns to final defensive fire. Not only will that guarantee you get a shot off, but you can set the fire range to 10,000 km (minimum for FDF) to get the best accuracy.

Damn it, I'm so used to playing my old game where I've got absurd levels of technology that I had completely forgotten about that. Well, time to see if that does any good for the two survivors as they run for the point.

The thing that ticks me off the most about the lack of Missiles/Kinetics researchers is that the rest of them are a great spread: 50%/45 EW; 40%/35 L/GC; 35%/10 C&P; 30%/20 P&P; 25%/20 DefSys; 15%/30 FC; assorted lower ones spread across the fields.  ::)

Spoiler: \)^3^(/ (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:05:40 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: October 24, 2011, 06:35:41 pm »

well, if you use your starting free ship build point for a geosurvey, a colony ship and a freighter you can start colonize from turn 0 instead that from year 2

to colonize, there is a button from the system screen (f9) but you can just drop anything on a planet and it become a colony.

mars has a low colony cost, so you can bring there 500 infrastructure, population, terraformers, and mines. but that's a bit more work, you should have started with 80 automines so...

queue 2 mass driver on earth.

open the f12 windows, with your cargo group set an order to pick up automated mines on earth and then drop all installations on mars. click the cycle orders check.

now wait til your mass drivers are ready and all the mines are in place. now bring one mass driver (same way you moved the mines) using the 'maximum amount to load' set to 1. remember to remove the cycle orders or you'll find all the mass drivers on mars!!

now go to mars. you should see the auto mines auto mining, and with the mass drier the target dropdown should contain available destinations. set the driver to fire minerals at earth.

done!

now, for population: build 500 or so infrastructure at earth. same way as above, bring it all to mars.

open the colonization task group, the special order tab. there should be a primary order and secondary order.

set the primary to be 'load colonist at 25m+' and the secondary to be 'unload colonist <25m'

this will bring automatically people from populated planets to unpopulated ones, up to 25 million people.

now, for terraforming: build 5 terraforming installation (I use ship, but let's keep this basic)
bring them to mars, the same way as you brought other stuff.

now on the f2 screen, open the environment tab.

configure it as follow: selected gas: oxygen, add gas to atmosphere, 0.1 and click save atm

congrats, you're terraforming!

now open the f4 screen. select leader type: civilian administrator. pick one with high terraforming or high mining. select mars. click assign on the low right corner.

and now you're a pro!  8)

Would creating a mining colony on an asteroid work the same way?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7567 on: October 24, 2011, 06:43:48 pm »

yes, apart from there is no need to ship infrastructure or colonists there as it will be uninhabitable.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: October 24, 2011, 07:05:37 pm »

I've been told that, if a ship is on active sensors when it goes through a JP, it will reveal that JP instantly.  Is that true?  'Cause I usually never run from a fight because of that...

Spoiler: Swarm (click to show/hide)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: October 24, 2011, 07:49:41 pm »

I've been told that, if a ship is on active sensors when it goes through a JP, it will reveal that JP instantly.  Is that true?  'Cause I usually never run from a fight because of that...

Spoiler: Swarm (click to show/hide)

IIRC they assimilate asteroids and moons(?) by turning them into wrecks, which their workers can then salvage.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: October 24, 2011, 07:59:50 pm »

Huh, really? Do you have a quote from anywhere? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: October 24, 2011, 08:21:30 pm »

Huh, really? Do you have a quote from anywhere? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious.

I vaguely recall reading it, either somewhere way back in this thread, or in the official forums. No idea where the quote would be, but it came to mind, and I don't know of any other way, unless you've got a hidden point in that system and an NPR keeps dumping ships in, which seems unlikely, unless you've been getting lots of unexplainable slowdown.

Fakeedit: Actually, I'm not certain, but I think that might have come up in one of Steve's AAR campaigns. The NATO/Soviet one, if I recall correctly. If it wasn't that, then I honestly have no idea.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: October 24, 2011, 09:41:33 pm »

If I'm recalling correctly, missiles that impact immediately/within five seconds after being fired are incapable of being shot done due to the sequence of play preventing sensors from detecting them before impact.

On the topic of colonizing other planets, realize that the civilians on Earth will be generating an obscene amount of infrastructure as a trade good that you do not have direct access to. Civilian shipping lines, however, will ship that infrastructure around and actually generate a modest profit for your empire in the process. Once the trade good is dropped off on the colony, it'll become the standard infrastructure that you can transport around directly. For that reason, you don't really need to drop off and, more importantly, construct 500 infrastructure to drop off on a new colony. You only really need enough space to accommodate a single colony ship.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: October 24, 2011, 10:26:18 pm »

If I'm recalling correctly, missiles that impact immediately/within five seconds after being fired are incapable of being shot done due to the sequence of play preventing sensors from detecting them before impact.

No, Bremen is right. Setting them to the last ditch response automatically intercedes, regardless of respective velocities and tracking speed. Basically, it is you ordering your ships to fire all weapons in the direction of the missiles at the last possible moment without trying to track them beforehand for accurate shots, whereas the area defense allows your ships to target individual missiles at longer ranges.

Also, managed to take that fight, wiped the missile ships on the way back out, and cleaned up the bases and minefields. Meanwhile, I inherited four transports, and typically the one full of HAs is stuck deep in a system that is still full of hostile precursors. It has enough CIWS to shut down pretty much everything missile-based, so I'm crossing my fingers in the hopes that they don't have kinetics or EW...

3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7574 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36:31 pm »

heres one of steves posts that details the starspawn lifecycle
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1931.msg21460.html#msg21460
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 1347