Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820380 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7545 on: October 24, 2011, 09:06:31 am »

Hm, so I killed the precurser ships in one system, and now there are 2 thermal contacts from populations (Strength 10 and 5). I dropped some ground units, but nothing happens.
Now i also put a Xeno team there, wonder if that is what i should do?

Contacts like that from precursor systems are usually listening outposts/ammo dumps.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: October 24, 2011, 09:13:37 am »

Hm, so I killed the precurser ships in one system, and now there are 2 thermal contacts from populations (Strength 10 and 5). I dropped some ground units, but nothing happens.
Now i also put a Xeno team there, wonder if that is what i should do?

You need to set the ground forces to attack the alien population.

It's almost certainly percursor listening installations, but sometimes they also use them as ammo dumps and you can capture high tech missiles.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: October 24, 2011, 09:21:04 am »

Thank you! :)

Attack!!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: October 24, 2011, 11:16:34 am »

Hm. I've got a bit of a problem:  I have three exits from Sol that don't dead-end. One is a black hole; another is (what I assume to be) a powerful NPR sitting in Alpha Centauri on three 2.00 cost worlds around the secondary, with a stack of 7 wrecks ranging from a 6200 class that I've IDed as being a Precursor model, up to a 71350 ton one; and the third system branches off into a number of others filled with precursors that have been picking at my survey ships. My solution? Sending out 3-ship squadrons of 6k ton frigates with minimal armament. This is gonna be fun!  :D

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7549 on: October 24, 2011, 11:21:05 am »

I wish there was a Safe-Fail hanger system which ejected any ships inside when the ship dies. Then you could have true Matryoshka ships.

100k ship dies ejecting 80k ship which dies to eject a 60k ship which... etc.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: October 24, 2011, 11:52:31 am »

Okay, so I jump two frigate squadrons in-system to scout things out, leaving my jump tender at the point. A few days later, I see these buggers come along:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not an issue; I pop their hulls in ten seconds.

Six days later, feeling happy, my six little 6000 ton frigates are making their way toward Alpha Centauri B-V, when my entire screen is flooded with event warnings. Because of this:

They've got an observed Vmax of 5160km/s. My ships have a Vmax of 3500. Yep, they're screwed.

Question: Do I run for the point squealing like Rambo, or do I turn around and wade into them, doing as much damage as I can, like a proper little girl? Because there are no reinforcements, no hope of outrunning or outgunning them. They've got more than a 3-1 tonnage advantage. The only way I could possibly come out of this alive is if they're all armed with nothing but missiles, and if my PD is good enough to wait them out.

3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7551 on: October 24, 2011, 11:59:29 am »

Board them and kill them all with swords.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: October 24, 2011, 12:10:25 pm »

Split your group. Send 1-2 to confront them, and have the rest retreat, prefeably in different directions, then meet up at your homeworld. Anythign being pursued cannot be seen going through the warp point back to your home. Have those fly away from the warp point, to buy you time.

Or, looking again, they have a large variety of ships. I'm sure one of them is going to be slow, causing them all to be slow.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: October 24, 2011, 12:26:08 pm »

You could also fight them by using your slower, but still 3/5ths of their speed to keep them out of range for as long as possible. The moment offensive beam fire comes, charge them and fire EVERYTHING, including the PD weapons in offensive. Targeting the smaller ships for the most kills.

I don't think my above strategy will work very well, but if Micro's strategy doesn't work, then mine is pretty much one of the few choices you've got left.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: October 24, 2011, 12:34:55 pm »

Hey, I want to put a colony on mars and begin mining a asteroid. How would I go about doing this?

EDIT: Also is there any reason to not spam click the 30-day increment at the beginning of the game?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: October 24, 2011, 12:51:09 pm »

well, if you use your starting free ship build point for a geosurvey, a colony ship and a freighter you can start colonize from turn 0 instead that from year 2

to colonize, there is a button from the system screen (f9) but you can just drop anything on a planet and it become a colony.

mars has a low colony cost, so you can bring there 500 infrastructure, population, terraformers, and mines. but that's a bit more work, you should have started with 80 automines so...

queue 2 mass driver on earth.

open the f12 windows, with your cargo group set an order to pick up automated mines on earth and then drop all installations on mars. click the cycle orders check.

now wait til your mass drivers are ready and all the mines are in place. now bring one mass driver (same way you moved the mines) using the 'maximum amount to load' set to 1. remember to remove the cycle orders or you'll find all the mass drivers on mars!!

now go to mars. you should see the auto mines auto mining, and with the mass drier the target dropdown should contain available destinations. set the driver to fire minerals at earth.

done!

now, for population: build 500 or so infrastructure at earth. same way as above, bring it all to mars.

open the colonization task group, the special order tab. there should be a primary order and secondary order.

set the primary to be 'load colonist at 25m+' and the secondary to be 'unload colonist <25m'

this will bring automatically people from populated planets to unpopulated ones, up to 25 million people.

now, for terraforming: build 5 terraforming installation (I use ship, but let's keep this basic)
bring them to mars, the same way as you brought other stuff.

now on the f2 screen, open the environment tab.

configure it as follow: selected gas: oxygen, add gas to atmosphere, 0.1 and click save atm

congrats, you're terraforming!

now open the f4 screen. select leader type: civilian administrator. pick one with high terraforming or high mining. select mars. click assign on the low right corner.

and now you're a pro!  8)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: October 24, 2011, 01:30:45 pm »

Okay, so I jump two frigate squadrons in-system to scout things out, leaving my jump tender at the point. A few days later, I see these buggers come along:

Not an issue; I pop their hulls in ten seconds.

Six days later, feeling happy, my six little 6000 ton frigates are making their way toward Alpha Centauri B-V, when my entire screen is flooded with event warnings. Because of this:

They've got an observed Vmax of 5160km/s. My ships have a Vmax of 3500. Yep, they're screwed.

Question: Do I run for the point squealing like Rambo, or do I turn around and wade into them, doing as much damage as I can, like a proper little girl? Because there are no reinforcements, no hope of outrunning or outgunning them. They've got more than a 3-1 tonnage advantage. The only way I could possibly come out of this alive is if they're all armed with nothing but missiles, and if my PD is good enough to wait them out.

I'm curious, now.

If you want a chance to live, go ahead and send 1-2 to meet them and fuck their shit up. If you want to be a true Roman, Spartan, or some such, turn them around and launch everything you've got at whichever ships have the best active sensors. Chances are they're the most heavily armed. Forget the small fries, go for the big gun and you just might survive. ;)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: October 24, 2011, 01:53:57 pm »

Distance to Sol jump point: 3.36b km. Yeah, running isn't going to be an option, even if I scatter and reduce emissions. Knife range it is.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: October 24, 2011, 02:02:00 pm »

Distance to Sol jump point: 3.36b km. Yeah, running isn't going to be an option, even if I scatter and reduce emissions. Knife range it is.

I stand by eagerly to hear of your success. May the gates of Valhalla lay open upon your arrival, and Odin smile upon you.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: October 24, 2011, 02:12:35 pm »

I stand by eagerly to hear of your success. May the gates of Valhalla lay open upon your arrival, and Odin smile upon you.

Most of them were missile ships, they hit me with missiles that were fast enough to cross my entire PD envelope in <5 seconds. I tried manually targetting them with my 20cm lasers, but with 7% chance TH, that wasn't nearly enough. A glorious death, and a lesson on why I should have turtled in Sol until I got a Missile/Kinetics researcher (even though I've been waiting close to 30 years.  ::))

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 1347