Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820510 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7515 on: October 22, 2011, 05:50:23 pm »

One thing to note when playing with ~7 Billion people: The HUGE number of troops and shipyards takes a long time to load for the production window. Which is the only real problem with having that many people.

Otherwise, it should be fine game. Just a LOT easier and quicker with such a HUGE population, production, and research base.

I only have two shipyards (just built that 2nd one), so the only thing that takes a while to load are the ungodly amounts of land troops.  Its pretty easy so far when it come sto mining and production, although I only started with 10 research labs so thats still going slowly.  Gonna ship off a few billion people to Mars soon..

TBH the mane (dammit too much MLP) main reason why I use the default population is because having anything near Earth's current population massively unbalances the game by giving you the production base to steamroll everything else with minimal effort.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: October 22, 2011, 06:02:12 pm »

lol true..

Btw, I found a use for ground troops: BOARDING PARTIES! How dwarfy is it to send a group of men hurdling at an enemy ship at tens of thousands of kilometers a second, only to impact the enemy ship, board it, and have no way of retreat?  Win, die, or surrender are their only options..

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Ground_Units

Wonder how well I can get it to work..
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:25:13 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: October 22, 2011, 06:25:27 pm »

One of my survey ships and a jump tender were just ambushed by Nazi Space Fleas. -_____________________-

3. Run Resize Enable

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: October 22, 2011, 07:04:22 pm »

The spoilerific kind, that like to show up with themselves and 80 of their friends?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: October 22, 2011, 07:16:18 pm »

No, as in a NPR that have a Third Reich flag, and a species image that is a closeup of the head of a flea.

3. Run Resize Enable

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: October 22, 2011, 07:35:05 pm »

lolwut? o.O Thats an interesting enemy.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: October 22, 2011, 07:41:42 pm »

Specifically, O2 pressure needs to be between 0.100 and 0.300 atm.
It has to be that for a standard human race, but it also has to be below 30% of the total pressure otherwise it is treated as a toxic gas.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: October 22, 2011, 08:50:11 pm »

Specifically, O2 pressure needs to be between 0.100 and 0.300 atm.
It has to be that for a standard human race, but it also has to be below 30% of the total pressure otherwise it is treated as a toxic gas.

Yes. I was adding the comment that it has to fall into that range of pressures for standard humans, not disagreeing with LoSboccac's statement.

lolwut? o.O Thats an interesting enemy.

Seeing as how their ships had an observed Vmax of around 2000 km/s, and they used fairly low numbers of missiles, they won't be interesting for long.  ;)

3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: October 23, 2011, 02:49:06 am »

lol true..

Btw, I found a use for ground troops: BOARDING PARTIES! How dwarfy is it to send a group of men hurdling at an enemy ship at tens of thousands of kilometers a second, only to impact the enemy ship, board it, and have no way of retreat?  Win, die, or surrender are their only options..

the suggested way is fighters with battalion size drop module carrying marines; you should have a boarding command of sort when selecting an enemy contact from the task screen.

an important thing to remember (well, it busted me the first time) is that their morale will drop a lot in drop modules, so your carrier should have a troop transport too to 'store' them when they're not in combat.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: October 23, 2011, 08:12:20 am »

lol true..

the suggested way is fighters with battalion size drop module carrying marines; you should have a boarding command of sort when selecting an enemy contact from the task screen.

an important thing to remember (well, it busted me the first time) is that their morale will drop a lot in drop modules, so your carrier should have a troop transport too to 'store' them when they're not in combat.

Aye, I'll remember that. 

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: October 23, 2011, 04:01:37 pm »

Heh. Had some hostile ships chase one of my scouts into a black hole system. I guess their tactics... 

8)

sucked.

3. Run Resize Enable

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: October 23, 2011, 04:04:15 pm »

Heh. Had some hostile ships chase one of my scouts into a black hole system. I guess their tactics... 

8)

sucked.

I died a little inside when I read that. Also are the tutorials on the Aurora website still useful?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: October 23, 2011, 04:13:06 pm »

I died a little inside when I read that. Also are the tutorials on the Aurora website still useful?

mostly useful.

spoilers transformed earth in a glass parking lot. silly me, I though 200 meson cannons on various turrets would be useful for the single ship that attacked.

turns out that at the 16000 tracking speed turrets have there is only a 3% chance of hitting their salvo. and even then, only about one shot in fourth actually stopped a missile.

:o

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: October 23, 2011, 04:16:58 pm »

8)

sucked.
I feel like punching you in the face for that. :P

spoilers transformed earth in a glass parking lot. silly me, I though 200 meson cannons on various turrets would be useful for the single ship that attacked.

turns out that at the 16000 tracking speed turrets have there is only a 3% chance of hitting their salvo. and even then, only about one shot in fourth actually stopped a missile.

Holy cow, those must have been fast missiles!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: October 23, 2011, 04:21:36 pm »

8)

sucked.
I feel like punching you in the face for that. :P

Holy cow, those must have been fast missiles!

If its the spoilers, then yes, they were very fast. The kind of missiles the spoilers use also explains why not every shot that hit got a kill.
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 1347