Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820630 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7425 on: October 20, 2011, 12:02:53 pm »

Yeah, my standard freighter has 5 holds, because it's just much easier to do the logistics math in my head.

5 Holds = 1 mine, factory, etc. OR 1/5 of a research lab, terraformer or ground force training facility OR 10 infrastructure.
And then I usually build them in cargo groups of 5 freighters, so 1 Group = 1 Research Lab/Terraforming Installation/GFTF.

Once I'm a ways into a game, I'll design a 25-hold superfreighter. Particularly once your logistics routes start getting over 30-40 billion KM each way, it's just more efficient to send superfreighters than multiple little freighters over and over and over.

Anybody had any luck getting civvies to use luxury yachts/cruise ships? I'll sometimes design them on a lark, but they never get built.  :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: October 20, 2011, 12:12:38 pm »

First thing my Civvies built was a luxury liner. :(
They send colonists to Mars with it, 1250 people at a time.
I spacemastered 2 extra lines, and one finally launched a colony ship. And I am almost 20 years into the game.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: October 20, 2011, 12:13:39 pm »

I think the moons might've had smaller moons, too.
I don't believe moons can have moons themselves in the game.
Yo dawg, I heard you like moons... :P

I recently reported a system where a large Earthlike (diameter 27000km, mass around 8.95) had a moon that was bigger than it was (diameter 27000km, mass around 9.04). Steve said that the system generation is designed to occasionally generate binary planet systems (which is cool) but didn't address the part about the moon having the greater mass. I tried to do a mock-up of the system in Universe Sandbox, and physics LOL'd as it slingshotted the smaller planet out into space and turned the "moon" into a high-eccentricity rogue planet. Even when I made the moon the planet and the smaller one the moon, it barfed on me because the orbital distance that Aurora came up with is stable for the single planet. But with two of them in an extremely tight orbit, the star treats treats the binary system as a single mass unit, so the orbital distance needs to be considerably larger for it all to be stable. Which would take it out of the habitable zone -- although it's a stretch to call a planet with 80C, 2G's of gravity and oxygen pressure of 0.78atm "habitable". More like a pressure cooker.

Imma handwave it as "Precursor stellar engineering".  :P

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: October 20, 2011, 12:17:10 pm »

Anybody had any luck getting civvies to use luxury yachts/cruise ships? I'll sometimes design them on a lark, but they never get built.  :(
I've had a few made before in an earlier version.

...I recently reported a system where a large Earthlike (diameter 27000km, mass around 8.95) had a moon that was bigger than it was (diameter 27000km, mass around 9.04). Steve said that the system generation is designed to occasionally generate binary planet systems (which is cool) but didn't address the part about the moon having the greater mass...
Maybe somehow the larger planet has lower gravity than the other? Otherwise, that's... interesting.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: October 20, 2011, 12:54:42 pm »

I've had a few made before in an earlier version.

...I recently reported a system where a large Earthlike (diameter 27000km, mass around 8.95) had a moon that was bigger than it was (diameter 27000km, mass around 9.04). Steve said that the system generation is designed to occasionally generate binary planet systems (which is cool) but didn't address the part about the moon having the greater mass...
Maybe somehow the larger planet has lower gravity than the other? Otherwise, that's... interesting.
Nope, the moon has higher surface gravity (higher mass, same volume). I need to play around with a simulation to see how far out the orbit needs to be moved for this to be stable. Before the slingshotting takes place, they exhibit a neat "corkscrew" orbit where they're spinning around a common axis perpendicular to the path of their orbit around the primary. Can't imagine what that would do to the day/night cycle, given that the inter-planetary orbital period is 45 hours, the rotation period of the "habitable" one is 22 hours, and the axial tilt of the main planet is 51 degrees. Oh, and the apparent size of the 'moon' would be (if I did the math right) about 34 times larger than the Sun or Moon is on Earth. You'd have multi-day mega-eclipses every few days. And since the primary is a waterworld, you'd have a tidal wave of terrifying proportions that just continually sweeps the planet. I did a detailed surface map of it using AstroSynthesis and Fractal Terrains, and it created one tiny little island (about 300 miles in diameter) that's basically one giant mountain sticking out of the ocean. Temperature range actually drops down into human-habitable ranges along the lower slopes, and drops into the arctic range near the peak, which is some 32000m above the surface.

The more I look at this, the more I wish I could accurately model it, because it's hella cool. A colony placed on the slopes of a single giant Hawaii-like island...they can't go too high because the temperature will be too cold, but they have to worry about a monster tidal wave of simmering hot pressurized water that sweeps over the planet every few days, as a lumbering giant twin planet hangs in the sky overhead, blotting out the sun.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: October 20, 2011, 01:04:54 pm »

Sounds like a fun place for a dwarf fortress.    :P
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: October 20, 2011, 02:07:55 pm »

You can, but I personally find in much more efficient to just use 5 cargo holds. Greatly simplifies the logistics. Also, one freighter with five holds is going to be a good bit cheaper than five freighters with one hold.

I'm looking at them now and it seems that the biggest saving comes from armor. the other savings come from the wasted crew space the standard crew module has; if you could finely tune the crew and engineering sections savings from those system became zero.

you gain in speed as the ship gets larger and in duranium savings. you save a *lot* in build time with the bigger ship (0.86 yr the big vs 5*0.5 year the small freighter fleet) but the smaller freighters could be built into the standard 10kt commercial shipyard that comes from factories, cutting set up time a lot.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: October 20, 2011, 02:28:57 pm »

You also need a 5 cargo bay freighter if you want to move prefabs PDCs.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: October 20, 2011, 02:49:47 pm »

Keep in mind though that you'd still want a decently small freighter design if you ever want any budding shipping co. to be able to purchase freighters.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: October 20, 2011, 03:43:20 pm »

How can you have the technology to research that and build a genetic modification center, but not a Terraforming installation?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: October 20, 2011, 03:44:17 pm »

The main problem with terraforming Titan is that you can only terraform it up to 229.8 Kelvin (or about -43.2 degrees Celsius) because of its lower base temperature.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: October 20, 2011, 04:16:05 pm »

personally, I prefer terraforming ships. I like being mobile. if asteroid miners were able to mine planets, I wouldn't even make colonies at all  ::)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: October 20, 2011, 05:21:10 pm »

The main problem with terraforming Titan is that you can only terraform it up to 229.8 Kelvin (or about -43.2 degrees Celsius) because of its lower base temperature.
Yeah, that sucks. That's why I edited my database for Titan to be the same temperature of the moons around it. It's annoying that such an important planet, after Mars and Mercury, cannot be perfectly habitable when it's moons around it could be habitable.

personally, I prefer terraforming ships. I like being mobile.
+1. Terraforming ships for the win.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: October 20, 2011, 05:59:15 pm »

personally, I prefer terraforming ships. I like being mobile.
+1. Terraforming ships for the win.

+1; I've never used the terraforming buildings except when I find them in ruins.

you have the tecnology for -40 deg and not for terraforming titan  :o
we have the technology

I just don't have a terraforming installation.

We can rebuild it... we have the technology!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: October 20, 2011, 07:45:01 pm »

...On another note, where did you guys get these programs to visualize such ridiculous astrophysics? I'm curious now :)

Working on a binary system of my own for my fantasy novel series and I need to iron out the distances and such.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 1347