Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820675 times)

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7395 on: October 19, 2011, 10:33:27 pm »

After the last massive incursion, I've gone ahead and shut invaders off, so hopefully I won't be getting any new ones. I think it's highly unrealistic that they just keep coming endlessly, even after trading several battleship and cruiser class ships for 6 FACs, like what has happened with me. I know if that happened to my fleet, I would definitely retreat for a while, instead of continuously feeding in ships to get pounded into scrap. Next step: finish salvaging wrecks, build new ships incorporating invader technology, and conquer numerous NPRs (I got stuck in my home system for 40 years due to highly advanced precursors 1 jump out in every direction, then right after I finally kill them, wormholes appear  >:().

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: October 19, 2011, 10:46:21 pm »

Its not unrealistic because thats not even 1% of their warfleet. :P If you think of it in our terms it'd be stupid, but its like you losing a survey ship. To them, its nothing. The live to annihilate, and consume entire worlds.

I doubt 10-20 ships will dent their hellish armada. ;)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: October 19, 2011, 10:47:47 pm »

Yes, but you would think that it would give them pause when they lose that much in exchange for 6000 total tonnage in kills. Besides, normally when I lose a survey ship, I don't head back into that system until I determine that I have a probable advantage over what killed it. I'll probably turn them back on later, after I get some time to expand outwards.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:49:58 pm by LostCosmonaut »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:35 pm »

Again, these a ravenous, beast-like monsters. They wouldn't think by your logic. What reason do they have to care about loss? All the way is your death.

I see them as borg-like, or some sort of all-encompassing dominion that lives for the hunt, to kill. Ultra-advanced, yet violent and bestial all the same.

By the way, if there are any writers here, I'd like for you to share your stories, songs, poetry, etc. in the thread I just made in the Creative Projects forum :) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95062.msg2695563#msg2695563
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: October 19, 2011, 11:53:48 pm »

Yes, but you would think that it would give them pause when they lose that much in exchange for 6000 total tonnage in kills. Besides, normally when I lose a survey ship, I don't head back into that system until I determine that I have a probable advantage over what killed it. I'll probably turn them back on later, after I get some time to expand outwards.

The thing is, the ships they've lost are equivalent to a single size-1 antimissile for them. They don't think in human terms; they keep sending ships until the wormhole destabilizes. And seriously, why turn them off once you've proven you can beat them? If you've got a setup that can handle large numbers of invaders, you won't be nearly as challenged by pretty much everything else.

Also:

Those 125000 ton ships are technically unarmed. If you haven't encountered that brand of fun yet, I'll let you discover it on your own.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: October 20, 2011, 12:07:56 am »

I've already encountered the 125000 ton ships: I killed a few, and watch one obliterate an NPR survey vessel. Also, the thing is, I can beat them if they only send a few ships at a time.  If they keep one sending 8-12 large ships a month, I'd be dead. I simply couldn't produce missiles fast enough, my economy is trash, and my beam tech isn't good enough on its own to kill them. In about 10 years in game, I should be ready to leave them on. Also, it seriously disrupts the flow of the game having people try to kill you every few days. I'd like to experience parts of Aurora other than combat.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: October 20, 2011, 12:10:04 am »

Temp is 1575, it's orbiting a class M9V star with a diameter of  153000km , and an orbital distance of 285000 km. Also, its gravity is in the acceptable range, so I obviously must colonize it. This isn't the most odd thing I've seen, in one game I saw a system where one of a gas giant's moons had such a large orbital radius that it crossed over another planet's orbit. The system generation in this game can be derpy as hell.
If the planet has an orbital distance of 285000km around a star with a diameter of 153000km, then the orbital radius is about 3.7 times the radius of the star. But yes, Aurora's system generation can be pretty silly.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: October 20, 2011, 01:56:22 am »

I've barely gotten past getting some infrastructure and mines shipped over to Mars and my first survey vessel is at Saturn.  Whats [SP needed: 200.0000] anyways? The survey ship says it.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: October 20, 2011, 02:06:40 am »

I've barely gotten past getting some infrastructure and mines shipped over to Mars and my first survey vessel is at Saturn.  Whats [SP needed: 200.0000] anyways? The survey ship says it.

the numbero of point that remains to be eaten by the survey sensor.

each survey sensor has a rating (the one you starts with has 1 point per hour), it's in the ship sheet.
look for:
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

if you use one sensor, that planet will take 200.00000/1 hours, if you use two sensors, it will take 200.0000/2 hours. I think '.' here is the decimal separator.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: October 20, 2011, 02:08:26 am »

Ahh thank you.  I think I have two sensors on that ship..

This game is pretty damn neat so far.  Its like.. the Space Stage of Spore but FAR more detailed. 

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: October 20, 2011, 03:07:21 am »

This game is pretty damn neat so far.  Its like.. the Space Stage of Spore but FAR more detailed.
If you want to compare this to spore, there is no infinity size font for "far" word.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: October 20, 2011, 03:21:43 am »

Lol this is true.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: October 20, 2011, 07:19:34 am »

Lol so apparently, my Mars has NO minerals on it at all (Says no mineral deposits after I surveyed it)..  I wonder if the cost of settling on Venus or Mercury would be worth the minerals?  I'm thinking I should just make a small colony on Mars and work on asteroid mining..

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: October 20, 2011, 07:26:40 am »

you can train a geology team on the various moons around the system and when they're around 250 skill as a team drop them to mars for HUUUUGE goodies.  ;D

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: October 20, 2011, 07:28:20 am »

It's worth settling and terraforming Mars anyway - it helps get your civilian economy up and running, and once Mars has a breathable atmosphere, its population turns into a nice bunch of taxpayers. :)
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 1347