Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820714 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7305 on: October 11, 2011, 04:10:30 pm »

Are then any tutorials other than the ones written by the creator? I read the first one, but I would like a slightly more specific one. Like Undecisives Illustrated Tutorial for DF. Is this possible?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: October 11, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »

Are then any tutorials other than the ones written by the creator? I read the first one, but I would like a slightly more specific one.
Nope. No-one has taken the time to write additional tutorials as far as I know.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: October 11, 2011, 04:29:21 pm »

The tutorials available are also rather lacking. Some things will either take some power searching in The Academy or posting a new topic altogether.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: October 11, 2011, 04:33:57 pm »

Or just asking here.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: October 11, 2011, 04:37:55 pm »

My first question would be: Where do I start?
My second question would be: Which button is that?

I'm derping on this sooo hard.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: October 11, 2011, 05:06:32 pm »

My first question would be: Where do I start?
What do you want to do first? Open-ended game is open-ended.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #7311 on: October 11, 2011, 05:50:46 pm »

I'm gonna repeat what I said :)

Like DF, it will take a fair bit of reading to figure out what's happening. My biggest suggestion is going through the tutorials so you know what gets done where, and then follow Paul's AAR on the LP section, from the beginning. I essentially emulated his steps somewhat, and now I've got a decent grip on the game :)

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: October 12, 2011, 08:22:59 pm »

Trying a new thing: all of my fleet's offensive power is going to consist of railgun equipped FACs. I'm about 25 years in so far, and I've noticed a few things. For one, I don't think it'll be possible to mount anything bigger than about 12cm guns, because of the weight of the guns and such. Another problem is that when you boost the gun sizes and launch velocities, you also have to upsize the fire controls in order to make use of the full range. Which is problematic when keeping everything below 1000t. Also, I've barely been able to mount any sensors on my most of my FACs (the ones with guns only have a 1/2 HS sensor for short range acquisition). So, I've been force to make some larger, more armored FACs mounting only a 7HS sensor. Of course, as soon as I get into any sort of combat, the sensor craft will probably get horribly shredded by missiles, which should result in fun. Point defense is going to be another issue; I'm debating whether to mount some gauss cannons on some FACs, or stay in role and use a whole bunch of 10cm railguns (I'm leaning toward the railguns, because they'll be a bit more useful in a secondary antishipping role).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:25:04 pm by LostCosmonaut »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: October 12, 2011, 08:41:22 pm »

Man what is the difference in all the weapons anyway?
I know missiles are the basic thing to blow stuff up with, and lasers are the regular beam weapon, and mesons go through shields and armor for weak damage, but that's about where my knowledge ends.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7314 on: October 12, 2011, 08:47:28 pm »

Man what is the difference in all the weapons anyway?
I know missiles are the basic thing to blow stuff up with, and lasers are the regular beam weapon, and mesons go through shields and armor for weak damage, but that's about where my knowledge ends.
Its been covered at least three times in this thread.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: October 12, 2011, 08:50:42 pm »

Railguns are lasers that fire 4 projectiles each at 1/3 the normal power, so you get higher damage at the cost of penetration and maybe some range, I can't remember. Microwaves are mesons that only effect electonics and sheilds.

Lasers and railguns have their damage drop off as the range increases (linearly), so if you're sitting at the maxiumum range of the weapon you will only be dealing a single point of damage. Basically, you don't need your fire control to have the same range as the weapon since it isn't as effective at that range anyway (although you do get a higher accuracy at shorter ranges, so you have to choose between accuraccy and damage if you have tight size constraints).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: October 12, 2011, 09:15:54 pm »

Three other weapons:

Gauss are basically the machine pistols of space warfare. They have piss-poor range and are among the least damaging weapons in the game. BUT, they require no ammo or power reactor, which saves space, and they also have the best fire rate in the game; high-tech gauss guns can fire off like 10 rounds in a single turn in combat, each.

Particle beams are kinda like sniper rifles. They easily have the best range of beam weapons, even low-tech versions having a range of over 100,000km. I'm pretty sure that they do not lose damage with distance, either.

Plasma carronades are like shotguns. They typically have short range and high recharge times. On the other hand, they easily provide the most damage per shot amongst beam weapons.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: October 12, 2011, 09:35:50 pm »

Three other weapons:

Gauss are basically the machine pistols of space warfare. They have piss-poor range and are among the least damaging weapons in the game. BUT, they require no ammo or power reactor, which saves space, and they also have the best fire rate in the game; high-tech gauss guns can fire off like 10 rounds in a single turn in combat, each.

Particle beams are kinda like sniper rifles. They easily have the best range of beam weapons, even low-tech versions having a range of over 100,000km. I'm pretty sure that they do not lose damage with distance, either.

Plasma carronades are like shotguns. They typically have short range and high recharge times. On the other hand, they easily provide the most damage per shot amongst beam weapons.

Actually, Particle beams are some of the shortest range beam weapons when it comes to capital ships, since they have a fixed range regardless of size. Normally a 20cm laser will have a much longer range than a 12cm laser, but a huge battleship based particle beam has the same range as a tiny one on a fighter.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: October 12, 2011, 11:21:42 pm »

So, I changed to windows 7. What are the problems I can expect with Aurora?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: October 12, 2011, 11:23:20 pm »

The only thing I could imagine is the MSSTDFMT.dll error. Which is solved in the spoiler at the bottom of the first post.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 1347