Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820559 times)

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7200 on: October 01, 2011, 07:14:04 pm »

You'll need a resolution of 1, and something that will be able to pick up missiles at the max range of your AMMs preferably. When designing a R1 sensor, it should show info on what range it will pick up various sizes of missiles at.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: October 01, 2011, 08:44:31 pm »

Meet Brandon Akhtar, Research Bonus of 45% for Logistics/Ground combat (yeah I know that logistics/ground combat isn't all that great but 45% holy shit)
Meet 'killed in accident'.

FFFFFUUUUUU--
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: October 01, 2011, 09:07:22 pm »

I had a scientist with a 45% research bonus in Construction/Production and an admin rating of 6 get killed before. Yep, of all the scientists including the million and one useless ones it chose him.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: October 01, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »

I had a scientist with a 45% research bonus in Construction/Production and an admin rating of 6 get killed before. Yep, of all the scientists including the million and one useless ones it chose him.

He was too awesome for your world :(
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: October 01, 2011, 09:38:02 pm »

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: October 01, 2011, 10:37:21 pm »

I started one game with the "Meritocracy" government, for its huge research labs.  As a punishment, it gave me one 5% bio scientist with a max of 15 labs...and no scientist recruits or upgrades for two years straight.  Still worth it.

Found my first nebula today.  Also discovered that the interval reduction I saw last year was precursors spotting me on thermals when I went through a gate, peeked through, then came back.  They were waiting on MY side when I went back.  Sigh.

I have never, in six games, met any aliens besides precursors.  This time I set max systems to 500 and starting NPRs at 3.  Here's hoping.

Hey, are planetary sensors active sensors?  Like, not needing active sensors on my Earth PDCs?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: October 01, 2011, 10:43:27 pm »

Oh man, camping YOUR side of the gate? That's hilarious and evil at the same time.

I do believe planetary sensors are active sensors.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: October 01, 2011, 10:44:01 pm »

Planetary sensors? What is this? Is that why all the systems I found were empty: because I didn't have the sensors to find them?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: October 01, 2011, 10:46:15 pm »

Planetary sensors? What is this? Is that why all the systems I found were empty: because I didn't have the sensors to find them?
Planetary sensors are, well, ground-based active sensors (I think they're active, atleast). Systems devoid of planets are simply just rotten luck. Systems with ships however require you to see them via ship/planet based sensors of some kind. You automatically see the bodies and data on every object in a system, save the mineral deposits, when you enter the system.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7209 on: October 01, 2011, 10:52:06 pm »

No, planetary sensors are passive. They detect EM and Thermal.

You still need at least one PDC with active sensors (and wouldn't hurt to have at least small sensors on the others, in case the main one gets knocked out).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: October 02, 2011, 03:28:00 am »

I have one scientist at 50% in defensive system, catch is he can only manage up to five labs..

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: October 02, 2011, 01:06:36 pm »

I just discovered that you can drop geology team even on bodies that have no mineral and let them do their magic. a high rating team does wonder on those!

I feel a bit dumb now, it feel so obvious afterward.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: October 02, 2011, 02:44:10 pm »

Is there a point in designing general AMMs with more than 1m km of fuel?  It seems pretty pointless as the practical range is limited by the size/cost of the active sensors and fire controls needed for it, at the fuel points given on the wiki one would need a max-size tier 4 active sensor to use the "short range" AMMs at anywhere close to their max range.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: October 02, 2011, 09:05:48 pm »

Really huge sensors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7214 on: October 02, 2011, 09:54:55 pm »

And I believe you get a bonus to hit missiles the longer you've been tracking them, so the farther the better.
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1347