Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820496 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7185 on: October 01, 2011, 12:40:37 pm »

first missle salvo: forgot that my missle had a rango of only 50m km. all lost about halfway. oh well, at least they fires!

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: October 01, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »

Cool, thanks.

I assume you get RP if you find "technical details" of something? My engineers dug up a mine and found details for mining production 60.

You just flat get the tech. It can be pretty crazy when you get several mining/construction tech finds in a row.

Hm...
Stop that research so you don't waste money and lab time.

Anyway, about PDCs, how do they work? I design them, then what?
Design them (make sure you toggle it to be a PDC in the dropdown list on the top of the class design window) and then build it with construction facilities. It's the same as building an installation, but you have to select PDC in the things to build list on the right of that window. You can also build prefab components, but those are for having it somewhere you don't have much industry and/or minerals, and requires slightly more resources than just building it outright.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: October 01, 2011, 01:00:12 pm »

I did, I thought it was pretty funny though. Thanks for the help!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: October 01, 2011, 01:01:04 pm »

wow, it worked! can anyone give me a primer on salvage module and wreck analysis?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: October 01, 2011, 01:03:45 pm »

wow, it worked! can anyone give me a primer on salvage module and wreck analysis?
All you need to do is design a ship with a salvage module (preferably with cargo holds or freighters in the task group as well) then, from the task group orders menu, click the wreck and select "salvage"

You may need to check the box at the top of the screen that says "wrecks" for them to show up.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: October 01, 2011, 01:16:41 pm »

ok, but when I got the wreckage, where do I put them?  back on earth? there is an analysis tab to open, teams to assign or something?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: October 01, 2011, 01:21:04 pm »

crap: I found a little flaw in the design. the sensor is too small, it doesn't read enemy missiles until they make contact. all those anti missle missle I carry... are useless.

but hey, on the plus side after the 9x strength 3 detonations the ship is still live and kicking!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: October 01, 2011, 01:38:22 pm »

ok, but when I got the wreckage, where do I put them?  back on earth? there is an analysis tab to open, teams to assign or something?
The wreck is turned into cash and any data they get from the wreckage will be stored on the ship and automatically given to you the ship goes to a planet of yours.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: October 01, 2011, 02:00:34 pm »

So, first game where I actively develop warcraft prior to first contact, and guess what happens?  Not a single damn alien or precursor in a three-jump radius.  Not even ruins, and it's not like I haven't run into plenty of 2x planets around here.  It's so boring.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: October 01, 2011, 02:55:21 pm »

You can SM in a NPR if you want, although I suddenly can't find how.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: October 01, 2011, 03:25:51 pm »

You can create a new on anywhere but I don't really know how either. You can also create one at a suitable body (10%> methane or oxygen > 30%) if you open the system bodies map (or whatever it is called) with SM mode turned on.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7196 on: October 01, 2011, 03:36:36 pm »

As long as you have a cargo bay in the task group (either on the salvager or on a cargo ship following it) you'll get minerals and ship components from wrecks. Sometimes you only get minerals. You also get research data if the wreck has a tech associated with it that you don't have yet.

The research data is uploaded to the first world with a research lab the ship is in the same system as - this can be problematic if you happen to have a research lab on a ruins world, as you can waste the points by having them put at a world you have no population or research capabilities on - so make sure the first system they jump into with a research lab is where you want the points. The components you can drop off on planets via the unload order, but you have to drop them off one type at a time (which can be a bit tedious). Those parts you can either disassemble for research points, or scrap for money and minerals.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: October 01, 2011, 04:22:30 pm »

There's a way to toggle the auto-download off:

F6 menu -> "History/Notes/Tech Data" -> Bottom of the screen there will be a check box labeled "Do not release tech data."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7198 on: October 01, 2011, 05:36:12 pm »

Heh, all the time I've been playing I never noticed that checkbox.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: October 01, 2011, 07:10:13 pm »

What should a missile detector look like? Low resolution, high sensitivity or something?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 1347