Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820414 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7125 on: September 27, 2011, 03:58:40 pm »

You can't load financial centers  :P
WE CAN DREAM!

Besides, knowing that ship, I wouldn't be surprised if Steve coded a way to rip off chunks of planets and any installations with them :P

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: September 27, 2011, 04:07:03 pm »

Shipyard overseer, "Mr. President, welcome to the launching ceremony! We've just finished rolling our twin habitats out of the factories and we'll begin the launch immediately. Sir, I'd just like to thank you for all of the opportunities you've given us and for allowing us the honor to take part in the history of our nation's expansion into the vast reaches of space. Mr. President, I salute yo-

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!*

"Oh gods! The first station's Photonic Drive has imploded, taking a large chunk of th-"

*SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!*

"Th- The station is tilting! Its... Its... Oh bloody fuck, the stations tilting towards the industrial sector! It'll wipe out our nation's industrial capability if it crashes! We need t-"

KA-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH...

Man on intercom: "Sir, the second station has exploded as well, it appears there was a leak in the fuel storage and it is no2 spraying hundreds of millions of litres of highly-volatile, flammable fuel all over..."

Overseer, "M.. Mr. President... The infamous Titanic, fully loaded with passengers and cargo, weighed only 46,328 tons... Each of these stations weigh approximately 22 million tons, sir. Upscale by density and volume, Sir, and well... If we can't keep these stations from crashing, quite frankly sir, we're all doomed. They'll virtually annihilate all traces of our very existence in the vast sea of rubble that will cover what was once our nation's capitol..."

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! CRASH! CLANG! CHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

"It has been a pleasure working with you, sir. May the gods have mercy on us all, for today we have surely attempted to become greater than even they are. Goodbye."

--- --- ---

WTFPWND by falling station from sub-orbital trajectory.

FAKEEDIT: holy sheet, 16 posts!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: September 27, 2011, 04:16:35 pm »

Ha, I got a nice laugh.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: September 27, 2011, 09:07:02 pm »

Ha, I got a nice laugh.

Its always the damn drive that blows and takes half the ship with it. I had the bad luck of having my military jump drive blow during a gunfight right as I was nearing the warp point. Needless to say, there was a collective FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- on the face of the entire fleet's crew as they were all depending on that one ship's Jump Drive. They all died.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7129 on: September 27, 2011, 09:08:22 pm »

Ha, I got a nice laugh.

Its always the damn drive that blows and takes half the ship with it. I had the bad luck of having my military jump drive blow during a gunfight right as I was nearing the warp point. Needless to say, there was a collective FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- on the face of the entire fleet's crew as they were all depending on that one ship's Jump Drive. They all died.
That is your fault then. You made a fleet with a single point of failure.

All of my capital ships are jump capable. Sure it costs more but they never get stranded. Carriers even have fuel harvesters and I keep a jumpgate construction ship with the fleet as a backup. It never gets shot at because it has no sensors.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: September 27, 2011, 09:10:52 pm »

Ha, I got a nice laugh.

That is your fault then. You made a fleet with a single point of failure.

All of my capital ships are jump capable. Sure it costs more but they never get stranded.

I was quoting the first playthrough I even had. Nowadays I actually put gates on every jump point. When I first started playing I had no idea what the hell I was doing, haha. Had a lot of fun fighting Precursors and that one story ruined me my first game. Before I could get another fleet out, Earth was bombarded to dust, heh. Took them two decades to appear then they suddenly murdered me in a span of months.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: September 27, 2011, 09:41:57 pm »

I'm a lazy ass and just set all jump points to have gates all the time. That, and my tendency to have all spoilers on leads to some Fun times.
Ha, I got a nice laugh.

That catastrophic 70+ system failure I had on my military vessel one time? Yeah, that happens when you don't armor the engines and the NPR gets a lucky shot with a missile...

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: September 28, 2011, 08:19:09 am »

I'm a lazy ass and just set all jump points to have gates all the time. That, and my tendency to have all spoilers on leads to some Fun times.
Ha, I got a nice laugh.

That catastrophic 70+ system failure I had on my military vessel one time? Yeah, that happens when you don't armor the engines and the NPR gets a lucky shot with a missile...
Or you have armor, and the NPR gets a lucky shot with mesons...
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: September 28, 2011, 08:53:37 am »

Don't meson canons only go through the ships's armor (and shields) and not the internal armor of ship systems?

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: September 28, 2011, 09:40:55 am »

Don't meson canons only go through the ships's armor (and shields) and not the internal armor of ship systems?

I'm pretty sure this is accurate, even if it doesn't really make sense in game terms (More of an artifact to how he coded internal "armor," iirc).

As far as learning the game goes, the tutorials and official forums are a solid place to get started. Can't give much more advice than that with your post, though.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: September 28, 2011, 12:19:21 pm »

Wow, that's amazing. If spambots can try to play, that means...

SENTIENT SPAMBOTS! WE'VE GOT SENTIENT SPAMBOTS! RED ALERT! RED ALERT!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: September 28, 2011, 12:59:50 pm »

download the latest 'full' version (aurorainstall491.zip I believe is the latest) Install that, don't let it overwrite your DLLs or whatever it wants to overwrite.

Open the zip file *inside* that zip (auroraupdate491.zip). Extract the contents to the folder you installed the game to - pick yes if it wants to overwrite anything

download the latest patch (aurora550.zip, it actually has 553 built in already if you download it right now, so get that instead of 553) and extract that to the folder you installed the game, again press yes if it wants to overwrite.

tada! You've correctly installed the game! (or maybe you installed it wrong, but in that case so did I)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7137 on: September 28, 2011, 01:12:28 pm »

don't forget theres a zip "cab" which you have to unzip manually.so that it puts folders at their places. until you have folders with "flag" "admiral" "medals" excetera, it's not correctly installed.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7138 on: September 28, 2011, 01:28:48 pm »

Read the prompts carefully too. If I remember correctly it asks if you want to KEEP your newer files instead of if you want to overwrite it, which would mean a YES answer is the right one.

Been years since I installed it so I may be wrong, but I remember people complaining about just clicking through without reading it and having it overwrite a bunch of important DLLs that screwed their Windows install up. It's a pretty archaic installer :D
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: September 28, 2011, 02:22:26 pm »

don't forget theres a zip "cab" which you have to unzip manually.so that it puts folders at their places. until you have folders with "flag" "admiral" "medals" excetera, it's not correctly installed.
Never heard of this before. I don't have an ''admiral'' folder either.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 1347