Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808621 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6990 on: September 23, 2011, 11:46:47 am »

I'd love to see a sort of large-scale maintenance or overhaul module which can be added to larger ships that will completely eliminate the need for maintenance in it's taskgroup, instead costing wealth. Spin it as a well-equipped engineering facility built into large stations or ships which the other ships can use for spares and supplies. The wealth cost is the cost of operating the recycling and machining facilities as well as wages for personnel and replacement parts shipments. As it is, building large defense bases is a huge pain in the ass because they cannot be overhauled or maintained 'in place' unless you park them on a planetary population.

I'd also love the ability to mothball ships, stopping their maintenance clock but requiring a length (6 month?) reactivation period. While mothballed, they would cost wealth to maintain but suffer no failures and have no crew on board. They would be useless stationary targets if drawn into combat.
Maintenance modules only add to the maintenance capacity of a population though. They're useful in some situations but they don't really meet the needs of maintaining a deep space presence away from your population centers.

Well, we already have maintenance modules, and the developer has admitted that industry modules only working in planetary orbit is a limitation of the game. Last I heard he was working on changing that, so eventually it might be possible to send a maintenance fleet with modules and a cargo bay full of minerals off to maintain your defense bases.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: September 23, 2011, 12:23:18 pm »

Maintenance modules only add to the maintenance capacity of a population though. They're useful in some situations but they don't really meet the needs of maintaining a deep space presence away from your population centers.

Yeah, but my point is that it's a code limitation, and one the developer has stated he's working on removing. So eventually they might work in deep space.

He's also mentioned the possibility of some sort of "Assembly bay" that could produce fighters/missiles based on a single design. IE, you design a sparrowhawk anti-missile, and get a component option for "Sparrowhawk Assembly Bay" component that slowly produces missiles. Could make for a nicely self sustaining space force.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:27:01 pm by Bremen »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6992 on: September 23, 2011, 12:25:20 pm »

Yeah, but my point is that it's a code limitation, and one the developer has stated he's working on removing. So eventually they might work in deep space.
Even if they work in deep space, they will require the constant supply of raw material. The point was to make it a renewable wealth cost to maintain the ship at readiness. Currently the material disappears into a black hole of unrecoverability and there is no recycling or reuse.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: September 23, 2011, 12:28:05 pm »

Even if they work in deep space, they will require the constant supply of raw material. The point was to make it a renewable wealth cost to maintain the ship at readiness. Currently the material disappears into a black hole of unrecoverability and there is no recycling or reuse.

True, but I think minerals being a constant requirement is a big part of the game. In the long run nothing is completely sustainable.

Edit: To put it another way, maintenance on planets takes minerals, I don't see a reason why maintenance in space shouldn't. If it didn't, then I'd intentionally only use space based maintenance; wealth is a lot easier to obtain than minerals.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:32:00 pm by Bremen »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: September 23, 2011, 12:41:36 pm »

And you could just send an asteroid miner with your fleet.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: September 23, 2011, 02:17:12 pm »

5.53 is released

Quote from: Steve Walmsley
Important! This is a bug-fix patch that can only be applied to v5.50 or later

This patch is mainly to fix the build rate bug for commercial ships and will not affect saved games. To apply the patch just unzip the Aurora553.zip file into the installation directory, overwriting Aurora.exe.

http://www.pentarch.org/steve/Aurora553.zip (4.6Mb)

The main v5.50 download already includes this patch as of 19.00 GMT on September 23rd.

Steve

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6996 on: September 23, 2011, 03:05:41 pm »

5.53 is released

Quote from: Steve Walmsley
Important! This is a bug-fix patch that can only be applied to v5.50 or later

This patch is mainly to fix the build rate bug for commercial ships and will not affect saved games. To apply the patch just unzip the Aurora553.zip file into the installation directory, overwriting Aurora.exe.

http://www.pentarch.org/steve/Aurora553.zip (4.6Mb)

The main v5.50 download already includes this patch as of 19.00 GMT on September 23rd.

Steve

Huzzah. Now my civilian ship building won't be sooooooo slowww.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6997 on: September 23, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »

okay...to be sure i'll start a new game.
finally those civvies will build and do something. i can't always be expected to generate wealth from financial centers can i?!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6998 on: September 23, 2011, 03:15:50 pm »

The filter option does NOT stop the turns from pausing, I tried that at one point. It still pauses, just with nothing listed in the event log.

As for the colonists thing, yeah, I forgot about that... I did eventually do that, but they still kept reproducing over the limit anyway and since venus's colony cost was so high even if I manufactured 10,000 infrastructure and shipped it over it only stopped it for a few months anyway (yes I probably should have done the 500 years of terraforming before I sent people there, oh well).

Ah.  See, it doesn't cut a turn SHORT, but it does halt my auto-turns, which I don't want.  Same with, say, officer promotions:  I don't care enough to want my game paued.  30 day turns have their downsides, and now I'm stuck manualy click...click...clicking if I want a short resolution.

There are certainly NPR combat pauses that one can't jump around, but I do not believe your low fuel problem will cause an interrupt, unless the ship has bingo fuel and has orders. I'm quite positive that in my most recent game I've had ships with < 10% fuel and still been able to run 30-day turns.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: September 23, 2011, 03:27:49 pm »

okay...to be sure i'll start a new game.
finally those civvies will build and do something. i can't always be expected to generate wealth from financial centers can i?!

I meant commercial ship building. I don't think it even affects civilian ship building, they just seem to pop out ships at random when they have money.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: September 23, 2011, 06:56:46 pm »

Aw, hell, did Steve change the designer mode password?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: September 23, 2011, 07:08:14 pm »

Yes, it appears so. I wonder why.

The Database password is still the same, though.

Edit: Oh.

Apparently he still reads this thread. Or something.

I... don't know what to think, really. I mean, I assume we're all reasonable people, who will check a non-modified version for the bug, and avoid reporting when a database or game is edited, right?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:12:50 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: September 23, 2011, 07:25:02 pm »

Yes, it appears so. I wonder why.

The Database password is still the same, though.

Edit: Oh.

Apparently he still reads this thread. Or something.

I... don't know what to think, really. I mean, I assume we're all reasonable people, who will check a non-modified version for the bug, and avoid reporting when a database or game is edited, right?

Seems like a major overreaction to me. It's not like it was handed out willy-nilly (I wanted it for an LP, of all things), and, well, used reasonably its very important to get the most out of the game. As an example, my case where a major game slowdown turned out to be due to an expended precursor minefield constantly detecting civilian shipping in a system I had eventually colonized. Without the designer password I would have had to abandon the campaign.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: September 23, 2011, 07:27:51 pm »

I used mine to deal with the constant battles raging all over the universe thanks to the impossible-for-the-NPRs-to-beat Star Swarm and to alleviate the boredom from the *real* battles going on by watching them as they fight.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: September 23, 2011, 07:41:56 pm »

Well, I can understand his reaction. He didn't want to give it out to everyone, wanting people to have to ask him first.

When I got it from him before he speciically asked me not to share it with anyone, and I suspect he tells everyone this. Sharing it after someone specifically asks you not to is pretty disrespectful imo.
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 1347