Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808571 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6960 on: September 21, 2011, 09:23:59 pm »

Manual Labor?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: September 22, 2011, 12:00:08 am »

More accurately, the crew are the workers.

Which does make me wonder why a ship-based terraformer needs like 50 people to operate or whatever, while a planet based terraformer (producing exactly 100% the same amount of terraforming) requires like 250,000 people or something.

You need to pay maintenance for it on a ship. i don't think you need to pay for maintenance for a land based one. Which would explain the huge amount of people needed to maintain it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: September 22, 2011, 01:11:46 am »

There's also another problem which is that the population on a planet require a certain percentage for agricultural upkeep, it's like 5% per extra colony cost, so a cost 19 world needs 95% of it's population for agriculture leaving almost nothing left to run teh terraformers .
It's just as well you don't need to feed or upkeep the life support of your fleets/colonies since Aurora already requires more than enough micromanagement
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: September 22, 2011, 02:03:09 am »

Actually I believe a colony cost 19 world would have 100% of its population in agriculture, since a CC 0 one needs 5%.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: September 22, 2011, 09:02:19 am »

Are you sure it's an extra 5%, and not 5% of the base? Like 5% of 5%???

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6965 on: September 22, 2011, 10:48:32 am »

Which does make me wonder why a ship-based terraformer needs like 50 people to operate or whatever, while a planet based terraformer (producing exactly 100% the same amount of terraforming) requires like 250,000 people or something.

You need to pay maintenance for it on a ship. i don't think you need to pay for maintenance for a land based one. Which would explain the huge amount of people needed to maintain it.
Also, ship-based terraformers are iirc massive and expensive.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: September 22, 2011, 12:18:48 pm »

Also, ship-based terraformers are iirc massive and expensive.

I just checked, and ship based ones are 500bp and the installations were 600bp. While this still makes them massive and expansive, so are installations.
Are you sure it's an extra 5%, and not 5% of the base? Like 5% of 5%???
I just tested it:
Mercury has 17.4091 CC,
The A&E percentage was 92.1%, (5% + 17.4091 * 5% = 92.045)
Service % was 8.0% which brought to manufacturing % to 0.0.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:21:33 pm by Dutchling »

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: September 22, 2011, 01:34:07 pm »

There's also another problem which is that the population on a planet require a certain percentage for agricultural upkeep, it's like 5% per extra colony cost, so a cost 19 world needs 95% of it's population for agriculture leaving almost nothing left to run teh terraformers .
It's just as well you don't need to feed or upkeep the life support of your fleets/colonies since Aurora already requires more than enough micromanagement

How much are my people eating?! Unless I dropped them off at the colony with pre industrial age technology, I would think they would be able to do better for themselves than contributing 95% of their entire population just to support themselves.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: September 22, 2011, 02:08:53 pm »

God, I need to delete this game.  It's a memetic hazard of the highest order.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: September 22, 2011, 02:40:50 pm »

How much are my people eating?! Unless I dropped them off at the colony with pre industrial age technology, I would think they would be able to do better for themselves than contributing 95% of their entire population just to support themselves.

A cost 19 world is so volatile and uncolonizable that your people would have a hell of a time even getting plants to grow. The efficiency on such a high cost astro would make it ridiculously horrible.

Personally, I never colonize anything above 2.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: September 22, 2011, 02:56:21 pm »

With a colony cost that high, the world is so corrosive, high/low pressure and otherwise harmful to exist in that it's all they can do to get their shelters from rupturing each and every day.

It leaves little time for doing anything else, honestly.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6971 on: September 22, 2011, 03:31:14 pm »

A cost 19 world is so volatile and uncolonizable that your people would have a hell of a time even getting plants to grow. The efficiency on such a high cost astro would make it ridiculously horrible.

Personally, I never colonize anything above 2.
Its not just agriculture, it is all of the work required to sustain life. That means working the atmosphere processors, waste recyclers, etc. It is abstracted out into a % of your population which works full time to keep the whole population alive.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: September 22, 2011, 05:35:13 pm »

Two things I can't figure out how to do:

1. "Go to system".  There must be an easy way and I'm missing the button.  I can autoroute to any pop, but not to an unpopulated system.

2. Ignore specific interrupts.  I know my grav surveyor has 8% fuel left.  It'll hit earth before it runs out, TRUST ME.  I don't need the game to get in the way of my autoturns.  Can I say "Display these warnings but do not interrupt"?  Same for Martian unrest.  Trust me, I am building you that PDC.  I don't care how whiny you are, it won't get it done faster.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: September 22, 2011, 05:48:36 pm »

While on the topic of systems, I finally made the jump between Sol and another system. How can I switch the view between the two?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: September 22, 2011, 05:56:05 pm »

While on the topic of systems, I finally made the jump between Sol and another system. How can I switch the view between the two?

There's a dropdown on the left side of the system view.
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 1347