Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808642 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6810 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:17 pm »

Let the game pick tech AND ESPECIALLY create tech/ships for you the first game. You can then modify the ships nbefore building them, and see how a proper ship is set up. I did that my first 3-4 game tries before making my own ships. It really helps!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: September 12, 2011, 10:02:04 pm »

The game automatically picks tech very well so you might as well save yourself the effort.  Your bigger concern will be your starting mix of scientists.  Hopefully you won't end up with a bunch in energy weapons or biology to start out.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: September 12, 2011, 10:12:57 pm »

From my personal experience, the game picked techs quite poorly. I can't remember exactly, but I remember it being quite... ignorant of some areas of tech.

I'd just pick the tech myself. Even beginners should know enough to make reasonable picks.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: September 12, 2011, 10:50:12 pm »

Are you supposed to be able to choose what you want instantly, or is that a spacemaster thing only? If it's only for spacemasters, then what are these points for?

Also, they're not loading up the automated mines which I know exist because they were just completed. What's wrong with this picture?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: September 12, 2011, 10:57:05 pm »

Are you supposed to be able to choose what you want instantly, or is that a spacemaster thing only? If it's only for spacemasters, then what are these points for?

If you want to distribute points yourself, you'll need to go into SM mode. You'll see a counter just to the bottom right of your researchers in the research tab with the remaining RP you can spend on instanting without actually "cheating". This allows you to, say, ignore JumpDrive tech if you have all gates on, or give yourself an early boost in an area that you don't have any researchers for. The same thing applies for your initial ship points, you need to use the OB tool to spawn ships up to the point limit (or beyond if you cheat).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: September 12, 2011, 11:07:34 pm »

Are you supposed to be able to choose what you want instantly, or is that a spacemaster thing only?
Spacemaster only.

If it's only for spacemasters, then what are these points for?
The points are how much you allocated to your empire at the beginning. They're how much you can research before you start "officially" Cheating.

Also, they're not loading up the automated mines which I know exist because they were just completed. What's wrong with this picture?
You're going to need to divulge more information.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: September 12, 2011, 11:15:13 pm »

I built 10 automated mines in the construction factories, and I have a cargo ship in a task group like you said. So I went to the task group window, selected the Cargo TG (which is where the cargo ship is), chose Earth, went to Load Automated Mine, and set that as the order. Then it says "Cargo TG failed to find Automated Mine on Earth. Please reschedule this task group's orders."
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: September 13, 2011, 12:18:43 am »

Make sure that the ship's hold is empty. I made the same mistake, trying to load infrastructure into a freighter that was already packed full.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: September 13, 2011, 01:24:35 am »

How big is the cargo ship's hold? If I remember correctly, each movable facility occupies 25000 units of cargo space.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: September 13, 2011, 01:51:02 am »

Terraforming installations (and possibly other things, not sure) take up more than that. My first freighters are always 25,000 kg capacity, and they require about 2 trips for a single terraformer.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: September 13, 2011, 08:13:34 am »

Terraforming installations (and possibly other things, not sure) take up more than that. My first freighters are always 25,000 kg 25000 ton capacity, and they require about 2 trips for a single terraformer.
Fixed, My first cargo ships are always tiny and require a bazillion loads per facility.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: September 13, 2011, 02:27:36 pm »

Terraforming installations (and possibly other things, not sure) take up more than that. My first freighters are always 25,000 kg 25000 ton capacity, and they require about 2 trips for a single terraformer.
Fixed, My first cargo ships are always tiny and require a bazillion loads per facility.
Right, thanks. Dunno why I said kg ^^;

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: September 13, 2011, 03:10:21 pm »

Ok, I just joined a community game at the aurora forum as the New Dutch Republic.
We're all clusterfucked on Earth and genocidal destruction is imminent.
And because of my late start I'm at a technological disadvantage. (I'm conventional start + trans newton physics and the others already started geo surveying sol)

Anyone played a multi-faction earth before? I assume meson pdc's  and a ground army are more important than in a normal game. Any other useful things?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6823 on: September 13, 2011, 03:39:28 pm »

Ok, I just joined a community game at the aurora forum as the New Dutch Republic.
We're all clusterfucked on Earth and genocidal destruction is imminent.
And because of my late start I'm at a technological disadvantage. (I'm conventional start + trans newton physics and the others already started geo surveying sol)

Anyone played a multi-faction earth before? I assume meson pdc's  and a ground army are more important than in a normal game. Any other useful things?

oh...hello there *evil and wide grin of pure madness and darkness*

first off, you should focalize on "leaving earth" it's no use squabbling or attacking other players on earth, because then the other powers will retaliate, in order to avoid a stronger "future" enemy player AND also to share the "spoils" of the attacked and the attacker. first off, find a tech party, who's willing to share his tech with you in exchange of an alliance, some buildings, even population or similar.
but firstly, convert factories, mines excetera to trans-newtonian counterparts.
and don't worry, i too am a complete first player in this sort of campaign, however panopticon is a nice starmaster, so just ask him what you would like to do, and if it's possible, he'll do it. and make it simple too.
if the same nickname didn't make you understand, i'm the nicely commander of Neo-italy! the supreme dictator The Original! >.>

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: September 13, 2011, 03:46:38 pm »

Well, I've seen you on the aurora forums but not yet on this one :P
I think I better get tech before I trade any >.>
Unless you are willing to give a fellow dwarf some starting tech  :D

Also, are there any other bay12 people joining there?
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1347