Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809026 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6690 on: September 08, 2011, 08:13:20 pm »

Anyone else get a divide by zero error when your first mining vessel arrives on an asteroid?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: September 08, 2011, 08:15:03 pm »

Okay, I've given this another chance and am starting fresh. WITHOUT the tutorial because last time I tried it, it was not very helpful at all. So I'm asking you guys what to do, starting from the very beginning: worldgen settings.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: September 08, 2011, 08:16:53 pm »

Okay, I've given this another chance and am starting fresh. WITHOUT the tutorial because last time I tried it, it was not very helpful at all. So I'm asking you guys what to do, starting from the very beginning: worldgen settings.
Er, any chance you could be more specific? What exactly is confusing you?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: September 08, 2011, 08:18:58 pm »

Anyone else get a divide by zero error when your first mining vessel arrives on an asteroid?
Nope. Off: I laugh every time I see a divide by zero error. :D

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: September 08, 2011, 08:41:47 pm »

Turn off wormhole aliens. They're not something you want to meet till you're familiar with the game, and you can always turn them back on later.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: September 08, 2011, 08:43:30 pm »

I'm afraid it doesn't get more specific than that. Sorry, but it's just... confusing to me. I have a basic inkling about designing ships, but after that I don't know.

Sorry for being unhelpful, and thanks for taking the time to help.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: September 08, 2011, 08:47:08 pm »

I'm afraid it doesn't get more specific than that. Sorry, but it's just... confusing to me. I have a basic inkling about designing ships, but after that I don't know.

Sorry for being unhelpful, and thanks for taking the time to help.
Around there should be a checkbox you can toggle for the "Invaders"

Turn that shit off, I've never had bad luck with them but they are a rain on your parade if they come in the wrong place.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: September 08, 2011, 08:55:49 pm »

I like to set the year to 2000 since it's nice round number.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6698 on: September 08, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »

I like to set the year to 2000 since it's nice round number.
I always set the starting year as 1, assuming that the foundation of a stellar empire is reason enough to reset the year counter.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: September 08, 2011, 09:12:39 pm »

I set mine as 2000 as well for the sake of keeping the exact date.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: September 08, 2011, 09:18:15 pm »

Okay, the world is generated. Now what do from the very start? Get to designing? !!SCIENCE!!?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: September 08, 2011, 09:30:05 pm »

I've set mine at 3,000, 2,500, 900 (lost colony rebuilding scenario) and even 40,000  :P

Anyway SirAaron, I have two suggested starts: One if you want a standard game, and one if you want a slightly easier game.

For a default game, leave all of the options the way they were when the game started. Turn off Invaders if they aren't off already

For a slightly easier game, set all of the species tolerances higher than normal. For oxygen pressure and gravity, set them to 80%, the maximum. For temperature you should set it to at least 25, and atmospheric density to at least 4 or 5. Set NPR generation chance and starting NPRs to 0, to ensure safety while learning the ropes. Increase the starting number of labs and shipyards.

Optional for both:
  • Check the box for "No Overhauls Needed". This will allow you to concentrate on moving your ships without worrying about possible breakdowns.
  • Turn off any of the special enemies as you see fit.
  • Turn off Inexperienced Fleets.

Once you start, get SCIENCE going immediately. Look at what your scientists specialize in, and focus accordingly.
Begin construction on whatever you need more of. You typically have plenty of mines, so I usually start by building a few extra labs and maybe an additional shipyard or two.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: September 08, 2011, 09:37:59 pm »

I start off building some extra construction factories, to get construction going more quickly.  After that I usually go for two military academies.

As for research, I usually start go for +Research Rate, +Construction Rate, +Shipyard Construction Rate, +Shipyard Operations, Sector Commands, and Fuel Efficiency.  I find those most useful early on.  Really, a lot depends on your starting mix of scientists.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: September 08, 2011, 10:16:15 pm »

I usually throw my entire industry into construction factories, financial centers and research labs early on, researching mostly production technology with some military mixed in. When your first colonies get off the ground, start researching expanding the civilian sector since colonies with population spark the civilians to actually do something.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: September 09, 2011, 01:17:09 am »

I can't seem to get my point defence working, firstly though i see thermal contacts moving at 44000kp/s that popped up on the main map that i'm sure are missiles they don't show up on the "Assign target to selected fire control" page with the other ships, also i can't seem to set point defence, i change it to x3 and click assign but it's cleared again when i reload the page.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 1347