Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809146 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6600 on: September 03, 2011, 12:06:07 pm »

Gravitational survey sensors only go on military vessels.  There is no commercial version.

Honestly, though, you'd probably only need one ship with grav sensors.  A small scout with fast engines, a jump drive and one sensor works fine for me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: September 03, 2011, 12:29:35 pm »

You'll want more than one, in my experience; usually one for each major jump chain. (i.e. one for each Sol JP), because moving from the pointy end of one chain to another eats up a lot of time, even at 10,000kps.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: September 03, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »

You'll want more than one, in my experience; usually one for each major jump chain. (i.e. one for each Sol JP), because moving from the pointy end of one chain to another eats up a lot of time, even at 10,000kps.

Depends on how fast you want to expand, I guess.  I'm really slow at it.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: September 03, 2011, 01:17:21 pm »

IIRC geological skill only improves mineral discoveries up to a certain level of skill.  Beyond that it just makes the process faster. 

Does anyone else randomly gen starting systems?  I find sol boring so I try to set up big 2+ star systems to start in. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: September 03, 2011, 01:20:45 pm »

Yes I believe it tops out at skill 140.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: September 03, 2011, 03:36:53 pm »

Depends on how fast you want to expand, I guess.  I'm really slow at it.

I'm usually very slow to start, but once I do I do it really foolishly rapidly, opening up at least twenty or so systems inside of a year or two. TBH I've been considering slowing down so I can properly survey system by system, and to cut down on my survey ship enemy detection device losses.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: September 03, 2011, 03:40:50 pm »

I just don't build a lot of ships, since I like to research all sorts of engine upgrades.  Don't feel like upgrading my ships all the time.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: September 03, 2011, 08:22:41 pm »

Gravitational survey sensors only go on military vessels.  There is no commercial version.

Honestly, though, you'd probably only need one ship with grav sensors.  A small scout with fast engines, a jump drive and one sensor works fine for me.
Yeah i thought as much, i guess i'm stuck with my combined geo/grav survey ships for the time bieng, at least i had the foresight to put 3.5 years maintainence in to each one, it's just a little annoying being spammed every time an engine breaks and they use a spare. next time i'll put a cargo hold into my geo ships and cram tiny grav probes inside. :D
Update: Found a .4 corundium deposit in episilon eridani, it's better than nothing i guess, If i only move 1/4 of my mines off venus i'll still get the same production, and the other ones i could shove on IO for the precious precious .6 duranium. Now i realise i should keep most of my mines on key high turnover mineral sites with smaller mining operations for other less urgently needed minerals just to keep supplies up
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6608 on: September 03, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »

You don't need much for a geo or grav survey ship. I usually just slap on one engine and the sensors. With a minimalist approach like that the ships can be small and fast.

Adding other stuff just bulks them up and isn't necessary. Early on I always leave the jump drive on a separate vessel and have that one stay by the JPs and a few minimalist geo and grav survey ships jump in with it and spread out surveying. Jump drives are heavy when your efficiency is low and slow the ship down a lot. You can put a military JD on a commercial ship and it can ferry military ships without requiring maintenance.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6609 on: September 03, 2011, 10:31:20 pm »

Manually, I recall, which means that AI civilian lines won't use them either.

That's what I thought.  It's a pain to do that, though.  Not that useful in Sol but I have some really spread out systems.
I've only ever used it in some edge cases when a system was a binary with a ridiculous orbital period. I set waypoints just outside the hyper radius and used that for repeat shipping orders.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6610 on: September 03, 2011, 10:45:08 pm »

Just for fun I made a little scenario to play with. Figured someone else might like playing with it too, so I'm uploading it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?l51c11uc20jbi2s

It's basically a lost scenario, with nothing but a fleet of ships and no homeworld.
Spoiler: Scenario Details (click to show/hide)

I tried it and am having fun with it so far. As luck would have it, the very first JP I entered had a whole precursor colony complete with a large fleet and defense bases. The world they were guarding was colony cost .5 with just a bit of a temp difference keeping it from 0. I fired off a few volleys of the Legion's missiles and followed it with a volley of the fighter missiles. They shot down most of the size 8 missiles, but the few that got through devastated their targets. The larger missiles from the fighters arrived and finished off all of them, and were still barely close enough to the planet for the remaining ones sensors to lock onto the defense bases and they destroyed them too. Surveying the system finds it fairly mineral poor and missing several important minerals, but I can import minerals and it will be a good base to unload most of my population so they can begin growing while I explore the surrounding area.

Guess the way the game goes will probably depend a lot on luck, since you don't have any concrete start set up except for the minerals on the comets and asteroids in the first system (which are quite good considering I didn't stage it, thats the first system it genned when I made one in SM mode with no modifications). You could get minerals there to upkeep your ships, but you have to go out and find a place to settle down before you can really get things going. Starting tech is quite a bit higher than you'd get from a regular game, but it's spread among everything and only having 50m people will slow you down a lot on further research. Population becomes an important commodity instead of a near endless supply from the capital planet (hurray pop growth bonus administrators?).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: September 03, 2011, 10:56:44 pm »

Manually, I recall, which means that AI civilian lines won't use them either.

That's what I thought.  It's a pain to do that, though.  Not that useful in Sol but I have some really spread out systems.
I've only ever used it in some edge cases when a system was a binary with a ridiculous orbital period. I set waypoints just outside the hyper radius and used that for repeat shipping orders.

Interesting.  I've never used waypoints before.  Sounds promising.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6612 on: September 03, 2011, 11:03:03 pm »

Just for fun I made a little scenario to play with. Figured someone else might like playing with it too, so I'm uploading it.

-snip-

Sounds like a lot of fun! I've been thinking of getting back into this anyway so I'll try it out and let you know what I think.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:01 pm »

-snip-
Is this on the newest version?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6614 on: September 03, 2011, 11:43:59 pm »

-snip-
Is this on the newest version?
I'm gonna go with yes, since I was just able to open it without any errors. Gonna give this a try. :)
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 1347