Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809311 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6540 on: August 31, 2011, 01:53:37 pm »

The map of my latest game is turning out nice. Lots of interconnectivity and plenty of branches with unexplored jump points. Only part that's really off on its own is the lower right one. Two NPRs were genned while exploring too, in the Yuris and Sarikavak systems (named Yuris Kingdom and Sarikavak Kingdom, I renamed the systems once I established communications). So far they are both proving fairly friendly, Sarikavak has already granted me trade access only a year and a half after discovery. Neither of them have traveled to my systems yet though (I have a bunch of deep space tracking stations in San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Miami to monitor things).

Spoiler:  Galactic Map (click to show/hide)

Huh, interesting! You have sectors atm, North, East and West. I like! My Sol only has 2 JPs, and I've explored out to 4 systems away one way but only 1 system the other. I only explore 4 systems out through each system from Sol to ensure I don't get "refuel within 4 systems" order errors, until I have a forward refueling station set up. The North Sector actually has a system that re-routes it to the South Sector, so I'm in a tight loop with 2 different systems full of hostile, well-armed Precursors.

For the moment, I'm just cruising along, looking for systems to colonize. Nothing very good so far, the one interesting system is full of Precursors, at least 10 enemy ships there, though a few wrecks deep in the system make me wonder what else might be out there, further than I can safely reach.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6541 on: August 31, 2011, 02:16:10 pm »

On that map Chicago was full of precursors, which is why I haven't colonized there yet. I destroyed them recently after developing my carrier and fighter design, they had heavy armor and long range missiles and my cruiser design with size 4 missiles could barely dent them. It took my fighter group to fly in and bomb them with size 10 missiles to finally clear them out.

I still haven't got around to sending in terraformers though, it has some good worlds. All my terraforming fleets are busy in other systems. I might send infrastructure and get to colonizing it that way, but my colony ships are still pretty busy hauling people out to Boston and Philadelphia, and the JP to Chicago is way out by Pluto.

-edit- Oh hey I just realized. Apparently 5 days is 432,000 seconds in Aurora as normal. I guess the construction interval is just a bit short of 5 days.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:38:49 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: August 31, 2011, 02:52:41 pm »

The map of my latest game is turning out nice. Lots of interconnectivity and plenty of branches with unexplored jump points. Only part that's really off on its own is the lower right one. Two NPRs were genned while exploring too, in the Yuris and Sarikavak systems (named Yuris Kingdom and Sarikavak Kingdom, I renamed the systems once I established communications). So far they are both proving fairly friendly, Sarikavak has already granted me trade access only a year and a half after discovery. Neither of them have travelled to my systems yet though (I have a bunch of deep space tracking stations in San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Miami to monitor things).

How do you get your galaxy map so grid-like? More importantly, how do you get it to stay like that? Whenever I move systems about, close the window and open it again it goes back to horrible overlapping :( And what does extended orbit and picket do?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: August 31, 2011, 02:57:57 pm »

The map of my latest game is turning out nice. Lots of interconnectivity and plenty of branches with unexplored jump points. Only part that's really off on its own is the lower right one. Two NPRs were genned while exploring too, in the Yuris and Sarikavak systems (named Yuris Kingdom and Sarikavak Kingdom, I renamed the systems once I established communications). So far they are both proving fairly friendly, Sarikavak has already granted me trade access only a year and a half after discovery. Neither of them have travelled to my systems yet though (I have a bunch of deep space tracking stations in San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Miami to monitor things).

How do you get your galaxy map so grid-like? More importantly, how do you get it to stay like that? Whenever I move systems about, close the window and open it again it goes back to horrible overlapping :( And what does extended orbit and picket do?

This. I can't even figure out how to move the systems around.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: August 31, 2011, 03:01:03 pm »

Saving positions: Sys Pos, Save Positions.

Moving: Shift+drag.

Making it grids: Sys Pos, Set your grid size (larger means larger spaced, smaller is more lenient), Line Up.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: August 31, 2011, 03:02:07 pm »

One of the info tabs on the galaxy map screen has all the info you need.
You'll need to save system positions before you exit.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: August 31, 2011, 03:20:10 pm »

Making it grids: Sys Pos, Set your grid size (larger means larger spaced, smaller is more lenient), Line Up.

Excellent! Thank you!
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: August 31, 2011, 03:42:03 pm »

So I selected them all, set the grid size as something large, but all that happened was they all converged onto one point instead of moving apart :(
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6548 on: August 31, 2011, 03:43:11 pm »

Move them first.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: August 31, 2011, 03:45:20 pm »

Move them first.

Ah, awesomely awesome. Thank you!
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: August 31, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »

You can also slowly ramp up the grid size if you have them already in positions you like and just want to make them further apart.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: August 31, 2011, 05:51:27 pm »

I've learned the usefulness of adding a small active sensor to all my missiles.

Fought a precursor fleet with a whole bunch of ships armed with AMMs, my fighters launched their missiles at the various targets. Their AMMs took out whole sections of missiles that were going at specific targets, leaving 59 (volley was of 320 targeted at various targets, 60 initially targeted at the one big ship) going toward the one 15k ton ship. The first 8 destroyed it. I was expecting them to shoot down the majority of the missiles, but the hope was for them to thin them out evenly and still have a few hitting every ship. If that had been the case I would have gotten about 12 through and killed that big ship and the others would have killed a bunch of others. Not sure if it was a fluke or if the AI intentionally targets all of them targeting specific ships first, heh.

Just as a comparison I loaded up my old save (I always make a backup before a major battle after once losing an entire game due to a bug caused during a battle) and researched new missiles, and used SM mode to swap out my missiles for variants with just 0.2 active sensor (giving a sensor range of 1.26m km at 120 res). This time I had the 80 fighters launch all 320 missiles at the same target. This time they shot down all but 57 of them (so about the same as before). The difference? The first few killed the first target, 5 sec later a few more killed another target, 5 sec later another - and so on until their entire fleet was decimated and 8 missiles were still floating in space looking for a target. Some of the smaller ships only took 2 or 3 hits to kill.

Anyway, going back to my original battle save I had to reload the fighters and fire the load of 320 missiles two more times to finally kill all the ships, with many being wasted due to their PD taking out the ones targeting specific ships. First thing I plan to do is remake all my AS missiles with .2 sensor and get all my fighters and carriers rearmed :D

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: August 31, 2011, 06:21:52 pm »

Sensors allow missiles to pick new targets when the original gets destroyed?

Gimme a minute while I throw out my missiles and get some new ones with sensors installed.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: August 31, 2011, 06:33:12 pm »

Yep, they search for targets within their sensor range when their initial target gets blown up. As long as they can detect a contact they'll go after it. If you're firing missiles at your maximum range they may not have fuel left to reach it though.

Not sure if they can attack friendly ships or not, never had a ship near one to find out.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: August 31, 2011, 06:34:34 pm »

Yep, they search for targets within their sensor range when their initial target gets blown up. As long as they can detect a contact they'll go after it. If you're firing missiles at your maximum range they may not have fuel left to reach it though.

Not sure if they can attack friendly ships or not, never had a ship near one to find out.
The "hostile" setting for military stance with other races claims missiles will target ships part of that race so I assume missiles will just idle if there is no enemy ships but friendlies around.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1347