Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809322 times)

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6525 on: August 31, 2011, 06:12:03 am »

Not on Luna, the gravity is most likely too low to handle without genetic modification. If you look at the system view (F9) you can see Luna has a colony cost of N/A, so no matter how much infrastructure you put down it wont support any population (the amount of infrastructure you need for 1 million colonists is 100 x colony cost, which you can reduce via terraforming). You can try orbital habitats if you really want to colonise Luna, but it's massively inefficient.

Also, colonists don't really do anything besides pay taxes, provide work for civilian companies, and provide workforces if you need to put some construction factories, non-auto mines, maintenance facilities ect on-world. You can mine just fine without civilians using automated mines and mass drivers.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: August 31, 2011, 06:29:30 am »

Not on Luna, the gravity is most likely too low to handle without genetic modification. If you look at the system view (F9) you can see Luna has a colony cost of N/A, so no matter how much infrastructure you put down it wont support any population (the amount of infrastructure you need for 1 million colonists is 100 x colony cost, which you can reduce via terraforming). You can try orbital habitats if you really want to colonise Luna, but it's massively inefficient.

Also, colonists don't really do anything besides pay taxes, provide work for civilian companies, and provide workforces if you need to put some construction factories, non-auto mines, maintenance facilities ect on-world. You can mine just fine without civilians using automated mines and mass drivers.

So I can just put down a mass driver and automated mines and it'll do it all automatically? Huh, awesome! How do orbital habitats work, and what makes them so inefficient?

Also, under the orders tab for fleets, what do picket and extended orbit do?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:12:23 am by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: August 31, 2011, 07:19:07 am »

They let a colony take colonists without requiring infrastructure. The problem is that IIRC it's onlt 50000 colonists/habitat module, and the modules are gigantic. Luckily they can be created like PDCs, but they're so huge that moving them anywhere within system requires a fairly large investment of resources and moving them cross-system is pretty much right out, since it would take decades to get to the jump point.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: August 31, 2011, 07:29:06 am »

Orbital Habitats, as the name implies, allows you to stick your population in space over a planet.

They're built by your industry and need to be towed into place by a tug-class ship. This might take a few years if you design a 1-million worker habitat, which looks like this:

Code: [Select]
Cingulum class Orbital Habitat    5,026,400 tons     630 Crew     6679 BP      TCS 100528  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-2613     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 1 MSP    Max Repair 5 MSP
Habitation Capacity 1,000,000   

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as an Orbital Habitat for construction purposes

The material cost for that design is:

3644 Duranium
5 Corbomite
1000 Bornide
2030 Mercassium

Meanwhile, for Mars, 218 infrastructure is required per million people. This requires 436 duranium and a fraction of the time and resources the habitat requires.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6529 on: August 31, 2011, 08:28:13 am »

Not to mention the cost of the monstrous tug you have to build to drag a 5 million ton structure.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: August 31, 2011, 08:48:01 am »

Well, I'm trying to play this again.
My goal is to play long enough to kill an enemy ship...

Random fluff question - what do you guys usually call your empires? I try to come up with a new one each game. I tried the Imperium, but the game bugged out and all my colony ships got stuck on Earth so I had to scrap that :(

My empire is usually called the New Dutch Republic (NDR).
Pretty obvious reference :P

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: August 31, 2011, 10:35:48 am »

Random fluff question - what do you guys usually call your empires? I try to come up with a new one each game. I tried the Imperium, but the game bugged out and all my colony ships got stuck on Earth so I had to scrap that :(
Sometimes I never bother to change the name, sometimes I do. My current empire is named the Republic of Man.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6532 on: August 31, 2011, 10:40:49 am »

Orbital Habitats, as the name implies, allows you to stick your population in space over a planet.

They're built by your industry and need to be towed into place by a tug-class ship. This might take a few years if you design a 1-million worker habitat, which looks like this:

Code: [Select]
Cingulum class Orbital Habitat    5,026,400 tons     630 Crew     6679 BP      TCS 100528  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-2613     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 1 MSP    Max Repair 5 MSP
Habitation Capacity 1,000,000   

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as an Orbital Habitat for construction purposes

The material cost for that design is:

3644 Duranium
5 Corbomite
1000 Bornide
2030 Mercassium

Meanwhile, for Mars, 218 infrastructure is required per million people. This requires 436 duranium and a fraction of the time and resources the habitat requires.

They allow you to live on places you normally couldn't though. And you can build insane things like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Terribly wasteful in terms of resources, but it has enough cargo, colonist, and habitation capacity to carry 100 structures and provide the 5 million workers necessary to run them, and can set up on any old rock. And it would only take 5 years for my current game's earth to build one :) I'll never build it, since I have plenty of habitable worlds - but it would be interesting to start a game with a fleet of them with various support vessels instead of a usual homeworld.

I was a bit unoriginal in my current game for my empire name. I just replaced the default federation with republic (using republic gov type) and called it Terran Republic.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6533 on: August 31, 2011, 11:06:25 am »

I want to see a game without jump drives. Everybody starts with a few colony ships in earth orbit; Earth is a highly radioactive death world. Send the ships to the moon and start out quickly, but where everyone else can see you? Send your colonists to Titan or Europa to hide out, but lose a few months to travel time? Or maybe mars, the now most habitable planet?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: August 31, 2011, 11:44:15 am »

Construction Cycle Time is 400.000 seconds. The game claims that is equal to five days. But five days consist of 423.000 seconds (unless I did something wrong...).
As the game already makes all months take 30 days I assume this is intenional, but what did Steve change? The length of a day/hour/minute?
Does anyone know?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6535 on: August 31, 2011, 11:47:09 am »

Probably he rounded a day down to 400k seconds for ease of use. It isn't a noticable difference really during gameplay.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: August 31, 2011, 12:00:17 pm »

All months have 30 days and a year is 360 days too. Aurora doesn't use standard time :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6537 on: August 31, 2011, 12:30:51 pm »

All months have 30 days and a year is 360 days too. Aurora doesn't use standard time :)

Did duration of the second change? and therefore the speed of light? or possibly the meter is also extended? Or possibly the earths orbit has been adjusted for more rounded numbers?

Someone mentioned earlier that a particular ship design could theoretically reach greater than light speed. However, if the duration of a second has increased and the length of a meter has not, then it might still be legal.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6538 on: August 31, 2011, 12:32:35 pm »

Did duration of the second change? and therefore the speed of light? or possibly the meter is also extended? Or possibly the earths orbit has been adjusted for more rounded numbers?

Someone mentioned earlier that a particular ship design could theoretically reach greater than light speed. However, if the duration of a second has increased and the length of a meter has not, then it might still be legal.

Since a second is the smallest unit of measurement in the game, the duration of the second doesn't matter. Also Steve has stated that 90% lightspeed is the absolute maximum for any ship.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: August 31, 2011, 12:59:29 pm »

The map of my latest game is turning out nice. Lots of interconnectivity and plenty of branches with unexplored jump points. Only part that's really off on its own is the lower right one. Two NPRs were genned while exploring too, in the Yuris and Sarikavak systems (named Yuris Kingdom and Sarikavak Kingdom, I renamed the systems once I established communications). So far they are both proving fairly friendly, Sarikavak has already granted me trade access only a year and a half after discovery. Neither of them have travelled to my systems yet though (I have a bunch of deep space tracking stations in San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Miami to monitor things).

Spoiler:  Galactic Map (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 1347