Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809372 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6510 on: August 30, 2011, 10:15:13 pm »

Wow, thats a screwed up system.

4 stars. Primary, one orbiting the primary at 3 AU, one orbiting that one at 2 AU, and one orbiting that one at 1 AU, and a gas giant orbiting that star at .22 AU. Nothing else in the system, no jump points other than the one I came in from. Not even any sorium on the gas giant.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: August 30, 2011, 10:18:44 pm »

That's a very... Useless system.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: August 30, 2011, 10:27:08 pm »

4 stars. Primary, one orbiting the primary at 3 AU, one orbiting that one at 2 AU, and one orbiting that one at 1 AU, and a gas giant orbiting that star at .22 AU. Nothing else in the system, no jump points other than the one I came in from. Not even any sorium on the gas giant.
That means the D component should be colliding with the A component. And the gas giant should be flying out of the system. PHYSICS, WHERE ARE YOU?

Anyway, what are the stellar classes of the stars? Just curious.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6513 on: August 30, 2011, 10:33:12 pm »

All four are K9-V, with about half the mass of the sun.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: August 30, 2011, 10:42:27 pm »

How do you split marine battalions into marine companies? I read on the forum somewhere that you could split them. Or was that never implemented? I see the option to build companies separate, is that the only way to get them?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:15 pm »

All four are K9-V, with about half the mass of the sun.
All the same?

So... that makes no sense. If they're all equal, they should be not orbiting each-other, but orbiting the center of their gravity.

Physics be damned.

How do you split marine battalions into marine companies? I read on the forum somewhere that you could split them. Or was that never implemented? I see the option to build companies separate, is that the only way to get them?
I've never seen a button to separate any ground unit.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: August 30, 2011, 11:40:49 pm »

You can't. It was a planned feature but then never added for some reason (probably because Steve forgot).

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: August 31, 2011, 02:16:02 am »

All the same?

So... that makes no sense. If they're all equal, they should be not orbiting each-other, but orbiting the center of their gravity.

Physics be damned.
trans-newtonian stars !

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: August 31, 2011, 02:28:13 am »

If this game has some of your civilian population resorting to space piracy, that system would probably be their haven.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: August 31, 2011, 04:40:15 am »

Random fluff question - what do you guys usually call your empires? I try to come up with a new one each game. I tried the Imperium, but the game bugged out and all my colony ships got stuck on Earth so I had to scrap that :(
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: August 31, 2011, 04:52:31 am »

I call mine the United Earth Alliance (UEA), essentially, relations in the world skyrocket and everyone allies towards the common goal of humanity. Hence, United Earth.

In my opinion, it doesn't have to be special fluffy names, it just has to have a reason for it's name. Reason gives more power to the name. So unless it's a really boring name (NATO, for example), you can just state the obvious.

Examples: United America, European Federation, People's Republic of Luna, Sol Defense Force, Alpha Centauri Alliance, Asian Alliance, Kingdom of Africa.

So, just think up something about what your empire is like, and go with it. It may take several tries, but once you can speak the name in a gruff voice and still enjoy it, then you're set.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: August 31, 2011, 04:57:16 am »

Canada, Botswana, Isle of Man, Burma, Mongolia, Guatemala names along those lines.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: August 31, 2011, 05:29:09 am »

At the moment, my empire is called the United Systems Consortium, I kinda like it :P

Also, is the moon a viable location for a colony? After surveying all of the inner solar system, it has the most minerals on it by far...
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: August 31, 2011, 05:46:44 am »

Nowhere near viable, unless something unusual's going on in your game and you can tolerate the low gravity. You could try orbital habitats, but Mars/Mercury/Titan/Venus (in that order) are better, as you can terraform them (personally I just see colony viability as how easy it is to get to 0 colony cost, minerals can be handled through auto mines and mass drivers regardless of other factors).

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: August 31, 2011, 06:05:46 am »

Nowhere near viable, unless something unusual's going on in your game and you can tolerate the low gravity. You could try orbital habitats, but Mars/Mercury/Titan/Venus (in that order) are better, as you can terraform them (personally I just see colony viability as how easy it is to get to 0 colony cost, minerals can be handled through auto mines and mass drivers regardless of other factors).

Can I not just slap down a bunch of infrastructure? I don't really get how colonising works :P
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 1347