Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809373 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6480 on: August 29, 2011, 08:57:37 pm »

I don't believe they do. Just like I don't believe they use JPs either.

Hope to god they are smart enough to not to try and travel that distance. They'll grow old by the time they arrive on the secondary if they do. :P

It'd be interesting to play a game where you start out on a secondary like that with no LPs, and an NPR on the primary. You'd have to design fast hyper drive capable ships and either try to make friends with the NPR or wipe them out before moving on to the rest of the galaxy.

With a 6250 km/s ship outfitted with hyperdrive you could make the trip in just over a year.

-edit-
Heh, I just surveyed a 21000 diameter world. It will never be habitable, 125 atmospheres of carbon dioxide (95%) and sulfur (5%) and 1.8 gravity - but man does it have minerals. 
Austin-A II
Duranium 104,980,000  Acc: 0.9
Neutronium 22,325,620  Acc: 0.8
Corbomite 39,793,230  Acc: 0.6
Tritanium 128,129,020  Acc: 0.8
Boronide 44,310,000  Acc: 0.9
Mercassium 80,260,000  Acc: 0.5
Vendarite 45,237,225  Acc: 0.8
Sorium 23,843,600  Acc: 0.1
Uridium 87,415,620  Acc: 0.1
Corundium 4,862,025  Acc: 0.1
Gallicite 62,015,620  Acc: 0.1

It's in a level 9 nebula system though (277km/s per armor level), so it would be slow going moving my ships from the JP to the planet and back since all my cargo ships only have 1 armor.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:32:51 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: August 29, 2011, 10:19:52 pm »

Hope to god they are smart enough to not to try and travel that distance. They'll grow old by the time they arrive on the secondary if they do. :P

It'd be interesting to play a game where you start out on a secondary like that with no LPs, and an NPR on the primary. You'd have to design fast hyper drive capable ships and either try to make friends with the NPR or wipe them out before moving on to the rest of the galaxy.

With a 6250 km/s ship outfitted with hyperdrive you could make the trip in just over a year.

-edit-
Heh, I just surveyed a 21000 diameter world. It will never be habitable, 125 atmospheres of carbon dioxide (95%) and sulfur (5%) and 1.8 gravity - but man does it have minerals. 
Austin-A II

It's in a level 9 nebula system though (277km/s per armor level), so it would be slow going moving my ships from the JP to the planet and back since all my cargo ships only have 1 armor.

If there are any asteroids, moons, etc. near the JP, plop some automines and mass drivers down on the planet, put a single mass driver on the rock near the JP, and have the MDs on the planet shoot the minerals to it. Then your ships can make relatively short trips through the nebula. Alternately, you could design a heavily armored freighter, but that'd cost a lot more.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: August 29, 2011, 11:01:21 pm »

Already thought of that :)

Sadly the system has only planets, and all very close to the star. It's a 124 day trip from the planet to the JP with a 1 armor ship. That's a 248 day round trip from JP to planet and back.

I'm already thinking of making an armored freighter. Looks like with my engine and armor tech I can change my 1 armor 372,050 ton 7418 speed freighter into a 8 armor 381,200 ton 7240 speed freighter. That would cut my travel time down to 31 days round trip. while not slowing the travel time in other systems so bad.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: August 30, 2011, 01:21:48 am »

Oddly enough i was Dreaming about newtonian physics Aurora last night before i read anything about Steve's new version. I'm rather stoked about it actually, Sure it'll seriously alter combat but with the right balancing/alterations it should make combat more exciting.
The only major limitation is the limited combat window thing, but if energy weapons had their range increased drastically and maybe were made more devastating at closer ranges (like during a flyby) it should fix things, maybe armour could be changed, ships could be made weaker in the rear etc.
Also if anything relativistic combat would make missiles even more important since a ships velocity, heading etc would be virtually a constant during any battle but missiles would still have more delta V available to catch up with and engage with enemy ships.
Also, it seems likely that relativistic speeds would be rather uncommon during the game (due to fuel constraints) and we would be likely to see the same kinds of velocitys that we're already seeing, say your fleet shoots past the enemy at 80'000km/s, and they're going at 60'000 km/s, you would only need missiles going faster than 140'000 km/s to catch up with his fleet (significantly faster to avoid his antimissile defences), however a 2.5 ton missile needs vastly less fuel to hit 140'000 km/s than your 200'000 ton ship did and it's likely that missiles should be capable of out accelerating and manuevering any ship imaginable.
I'm picturing the new game after correct balancing (like increasing damage of energy weapons significantly) being able to support your choice of 2 different combat strategies, either long range missile spam, or  reducing velocity relative to enemy fleet so you stay in energy range long enough to blast the shit out of him with energy weapons.
Anyway, i'm hoping that things will balancing out to being a very playable and exciting combat experience.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6484 on: August 30, 2011, 05:52:29 am »

Austin-A II

Is there an asteroid or something near the jumpgate to home? You could have it railgun all material to the asteroid and pick it up there to save the trip.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: August 30, 2011, 06:40:45 am »

Unfortunately, energy weapons will never have their range increased beyond the current maximum, which I believe corresponds to the distance light can travel over five seconds if I remember the explanation from Aurora's forum. It's a shame given the insane range missiles have compared to beam weapons.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: August 30, 2011, 08:15:52 am »

Unfortunately, energy weapons will never have their range increased beyond the current maximum, which I believe corresponds to the distance light can travel over five seconds if I remember the explanation from Aurora's forum. It's a shame given the insane range missiles have compared to beam weapons.

Yea, but DEW are far cheaper compared to missels. Missels are expensive, and harder to manage over DEW.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: August 30, 2011, 09:02:13 am »

"My father traveled this route. My grandfather traveled this route, and my great grandfather too. One day, son, you'll travel this route and finish the 5th delivery."
Considering that girl that was a gym leader for another team, I don't know if we have a very good chance at a gym. That Ivysaur was at what, 25-30s? Although... Hmm, with the xp of today's battle I'll check one thing later... My blade might be able to strike truer than I expected...
...What? I don't understand...

Wrong thread, or just being random. Probably. Or insane.
Very wrong thread...  :-[ I'm also insane, but that's besides the point. :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: August 30, 2011, 10:26:15 am »

Heh, the game just genned a system with a secondary star 13,000 AU out with LPs linking them and several large habitable planets on both stars. It's 1944.82b km from the jump point to the first planet on the second star.

Too bad the civilians don't use LPs (or do they now? last time I had a system like this back in like 5.0 they didn't).

I'm glad theres an LP though, otherwise I'd feel obligated to design a whole series of fast, long range, hyperdrive capable ships just to colonise it and set up a mining operation. And then wait 62 years for the first mineral packets to arrive.

13,000?? That's like 1/5th of a light-year. That's insane. I'd love to see this system. What's the primary, some kind of O-II supergiant? It's hard to imagine gravity even still working at that distance. For that matter, what's the orbital period of the secondary?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: August 30, 2011, 10:49:26 am »

See, if/when we actually get Newtonian physics, I want the mechanics to play with it properly. Like, say allowing ships with tractors to attach themselves to asteroids in the outskirts of a system, boost them up to a high velocity in the direction of an enemy planet, and then detact the tractors and let it coast until it smashes into the planet. Completely plausable, undetectable without the proper sensors, and nigh-unstoppable if you don't notice it until too late. OTOH, make sure there is a mechanic in place for combat against system bodies, so you could replicate a fleet plastering it with missiles... And then watching the thousands of fragments demolish the planet even further than the asteroid would have. Or, for smarter civilizations, matching velocities using their own tractor ships and pushing it off course into their star.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: August 30, 2011, 11:37:37 am »

Heh, the game just genned a system with a secondary star 13,000 AU out with LPs linking them and several large habitable planets on both stars. It's 1944.82b km from the jump point to the first planet on the second star.

Too bad the civilians don't use LPs (or do they now? last time I had a system like this back in like 5.0 they didn't).

I'm glad theres an LP though, otherwise I'd feel obligated to design a whole series of fast, long range, hyperdrive capable ships just to colonise it and set up a mining operation. And then wait 62 years for the first mineral packets to arrive.

13,000?? That's like 1/5th of a light-year. That's insane. I'd love to see this system. What's the primary, some kind of O-II supergiant? It's hard to imagine gravity even still working at that distance. For that matter, what's the orbital period of the secondary?

Actually, both stars are K5V class. Just main sequence stars smaller than the sun (.69 and .68 mass). The orbital period is crazy - 1,264,923. Aurora doesn't really model binary systems correctly. In this example with the masses so close they'd both be orbiting a point almost directly between them instead of one orbiting the other - although as you mention at that distance they might just separate into single stars.

See, if/when we actually get Newtonian physics, I want the mechanics to play with it properly. Like, say allowing ships with tractors to attach themselves to asteroids in the outskirts of a system, boost them up to a high velocity in the direction of an enemy planet, and then detact the tractors and let it coast until it smashes into the planet. Completely plausable, undetectable without the proper sensors, and nigh-unstoppable if you don't notice it until too late. OTOH, make sure there is a mechanic in place for combat against system bodies, so you could replicate a fleet plastering it with missiles... And then watching the thousands of fragments demolish the planet even further than the asteroid would have. Or, for smarter civilizations, matching velocities using their own tractor ships and pushing it off course into their star.

That wouldn't really be viable with the size of the asteroids compared to the size of the ships you build in game. Even the smallest asteroid I can find in Sol (1.73E-9 mass) would be over 10.3 trillion metric tons. Even big ships in Aurora are only a few hundred thousand tons. Try moving a 10.3 trillion ton object with even a 1,000,000 ton ship. That's like a gnat trying to move an elephant.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:40:59 am by Paul »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6491 on: August 30, 2011, 12:03:07 pm »

Well, a gnat with a nuclear reactor and the ability to use the elephant as a source of reaction mass, in a frictionless environment.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6492 on: August 30, 2011, 12:13:56 pm »

Well, a gnat with a nuclear reactor and the ability to use the elephant as a source of reaction mass, in a frictionless environment.

and the gnat can always aim at the elephant weak point: the trunk, to make it move on it's own far away from the gnat.
elephants...why you so scared!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: August 30, 2011, 02:23:31 pm »

How powerful can you make ground troops? I want to make space marines for the Imperium :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6494 on: August 30, 2011, 02:25:34 pm »

If biology research could make better soldiers I'd be more inclined to use it.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 1347