Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809449 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6465 on: August 29, 2011, 05:39:08 pm »

Well, it'd take a 500 tons slugs to rise the temperature by 1°C.

What? global temperature?

That's not the concern, the concern is the massive wave of superheated air radiating from the slug's travel path, incenerating everything it comes across.

It wouldn't be fundamentally different from an airburst nuclear weapon, other then the lack of fallout.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: August 29, 2011, 05:47:37 pm »

Yeah, global temperature. As for a local impact, it'd be... local. Especially since the Aurora slugs are so small (so small that they aren't even counted). They must be less than 50 kg or something.

Fakeedit: Just did some crude math. A 50kg slug travelling at c would have energy to heat a cylinder of athmosphere 400km in diameter by 2000 degrees celsius. That stuff is much more dangerous than I thought.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: August 29, 2011, 05:50:21 pm »

Which is exactly why railguns (at least) should be able to hit enemy planets for massive more than scratch damage. All the math and physics work out for it to be an effective planetary siege weapon, but the designer took a different route.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: August 29, 2011, 05:52:58 pm »

Well, they do the same damage than they do on ships. I guess that just mean their slugs are really light.
However, they should be able to do damage through an athmosphere.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: August 29, 2011, 06:01:46 pm »

Actually, if the slugs do the same kind of damage as Hiroshima's bomb (+- 14 ktons of TNT), they'd have to be 0.5g at relativistic speed. Light go ridiculously fast.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: August 29, 2011, 06:42:46 pm »

To be perfectly honest, I prefer warp points to unlimited FTL, unless it is limited to use outside of solar and planetary gravity wells, because otherwise you (or an enemy) could just warp a fleet of planet-crackers into low orbit, drop their payload, and then bug out. Even then, it messes with defensive strategy, killing the point of having static defenses that are anything less than massive belts of weapon platforms and minefields around the whole system.

As for enemy planets, I would always just wreck them unless the enemy fleet was already incapped, because a ground war gives the enemy a chance to retaliate, while a glassed/cracked/irradiated world not only means that they can't restock, repair or replace their losses, but that (on a large scale) that their entire civilization has been destroyed, which, assuming a more advanced AI with specific characteristics for races and commanders, could mean a revenge-driven suicide run, but could also mean surrender or flight in an effort to preserve the rest of their species. Which is frankly more interesting than killing their fleet, idling away a few months while the ground troops do their work, and then going "hooray, more industry and unhappy population to manage."

Imagine wiping a civilization, but having parts of their fleet escape, and then a few decades down the road they come back with a rebuilt fleet  and new technology and start wrecking your shit.  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: August 29, 2011, 06:52:06 pm »

Well the problem is right now there's really no downside to nuking them.... You don't really *need* extrasolar colonies for anything other then RP/fun value (and maybe the occasional maintenance/refueling depot)

If, for example, automated mines were removed or made drastically less powerful so that colonization to set up real mines was vastly preferable then maybe you'd not have as much incentive to glass every world.

Lack of incentive to explore/expand (other then for fun and to create challenges) is one of the weakest points of the game imo.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6473 on: August 29, 2011, 07:45:42 pm »

Heh, the game just genned a system with a secondary star 13,000 AU out with LPs linking them and several large habitable planets on both stars. It's 1944.82b km from the jump point to the first planet on the second star.

Too bad the civilians don't use LPs (or do they now? last time I had a system like this back in like 5.0 they didn't).

I'm glad theres an LP though, otherwise I'd feel obligated to design a whole series of fast, long range, hyperdrive capable ships just to colonise it and set up a mining operation. And then wait 62 years for the first mineral packets to arrive.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: August 29, 2011, 07:48:57 pm »

I don't believe they do. Just like I don't believe they use JPs either.

Hope to god they are smart enough to not to try and travel that distance. They'll grow old by the time they arrive on the secondary if they do. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: August 29, 2011, 07:52:31 pm »

Hope to god they are smart enough to not to try and travel that distance. They'll grow old by the time they arrive on the secondary if they do. :P
"My father traveled this route. My grandfather traveled this route, and my great grandfather too. One day, son, you'll travel this route and finish the 5th delivery."

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: August 29, 2011, 07:58:13 pm »

"My father traveled this route. My grandfather traveled this route, and my great grandfather too. One day, son, you'll travel this route and finish the 5th delivery."
Considering that girl that was a gym leader for another team, I don't know if we have a very good chance at a gym. That Ivysaur was at what, 25-30s? Although... Hmm, with the xp of today's battle I'll check one thing later... My blade might be able to strike truer than I expected...
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: August 29, 2011, 08:00:48 pm »

This would make a great movie, or something. :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: August 29, 2011, 08:22:31 pm »

Considering that girl that was a gym leader for another team, I don't know if we have a very good chance at a gym. That Ivysaur was at what, 25-30s? Although... Hmm, with the xp of today's battle I'll check one thing later... My blade might be able to strike truer than I expected...
...What? I don't understand...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: August 29, 2011, 08:50:54 pm »

...What? I don't understand...

Wrong thread, or just being random. Probably. Or insane.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 1347