Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809807 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6390 on: August 28, 2011, 01:34:58 pm »

What is with the planet numbering in systems anyway?

Looking at a system now, it has: planets A I, A III, A VI. What happened to II, IV, and V? Did the Death Star come by when I wasn't looking?

That happens, I think, in the event that there are multiple stars in the system. Those orbiting the first star get A slapped on, the second B, and so forth.

I haven't seen it in action yet, but that's probably it.

I don't mean the A and B part, I mean the numbers. Even systems with one star get A applied.

What I mean is the planets go, from the center of the system out: I, III, VI. Wheres II, IV, and V?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: August 28, 2011, 01:35:55 pm »

I hate the Real Stars option. I never play with it on.

Am I the only one here that has "All JPs have Gates" on?
What is with the planet numbering in systems anyway?

Looking at a system now, it has: planets A I, A III, A VI. What happened to II, IV, and V? Did the Death Star come by when I wasn't looking?

That happens, I think, in the event that there are multiple stars in the system. Those orbiting the first star get A slapped on, the second B, and so forth.

I haven't seen it in action yet, but that's probably it.

I don't mean the A and B part, I mean the numbers. Even systems with one star get A applied.

What I mean is the planets go, from the center of the system out: I, III, VI. Wheres II, IV, and V?
It's just generic numbering so you don't have to deal with individual names for each planet. I think it radiates outward from the star.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: August 28, 2011, 01:37:04 pm »

I prefer building the gates myself and using jump drives outside that.

I never play on Real Stars mode either.

It's just generic numbering so you don't have to deal with individual names for each planet. I think it radiates outward from the star.

No, I know all that - what I mean is the numbering is SKIPPING numbers. I have a system with three planets total that are labeled planet 1, planet 3, and planet 6.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:39:37 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: August 28, 2011, 01:59:04 pm »

Each launcher fires a missile and then reloads. 10 launchers means a volley of 10 missiles. Magazines are just storage, it doesn't matter what size they are - they just let you store extra missiles (launchers hold one by themselves, then you need magazines for reloads).

Box launchers are at the end of the reduced size launcher tech line.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: August 28, 2011, 02:00:38 pm »

No, I know all that - what I mean is the numbering is SKIPPING numbers. I have a system with three planets total that are labeled planet 1, planet 3, and planet 6.
Oh, well, I'm not sure. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: August 28, 2011, 02:12:30 pm »

lol, civilian mining complexes AI needs some work.

A tiny asteroid with hardly any minerals keeps getting expanded over and over. It's up to 44 mining complexes, and there is a grand total of 5 minerals left on the planet (next 5 day tick and they're gone). 5 days pass, and they expand the mining complex to 45 at the same time the rock completely runs out of minerals. 5 more days and they close up shop.

If they had to consume minerals to build these mining complexes they'd have gone in the hole big time on that asteroid. 45 mining complexes is 450 automated mines and 45 mass drivers, thats 121,500 total minerals worth of buildings if I built them. The asteroid only had around 60,000 assorted minerals when it was first built on.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: August 28, 2011, 02:20:23 pm »

They don't use minerals. Still kinda funny that they plunked down so many buildings on an asteroid XD
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: August 28, 2011, 02:20:34 pm »

How the hell did you get up to 45 mining complexes?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: August 28, 2011, 02:22:42 pm »

One civvie mining complex = all that? That's good to know; I'll probably start pulling minerals from 'em, then.

So, about missiles.

How do I shot stuff? I've made my missile ships, made the task group, assigned launchers to fire controls and missiles to launchers, so how do I tell my ships to shoot at the offending vessel?
Choose a hostile from the contacts list, assign it to the missile fire control then click "Open Fire"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: August 28, 2011, 02:31:59 pm »

One civvie mining complex = all that? That's good to know; I'll probably start pulling minerals from 'em, then.

So, about missiles.

How do I shot stuff? I've made my missile ships, made the task group, assigned launchers to fire controls and missiles to launchers, so how do I tell my ships to shoot at the offending vessel?
Choose a hostile from the contacts list, assign it to the missile fire control then click "Open Fire"

Keep in mind that the targetting isn't very intuitive. There are checkboxes (I believe in the Display tab of the system view) that let you see the FC and missile ranges of your ships, as well as one in the Sensors tab that lets you see your AS ranges. Give a move order to your ships that will put the enemy ships inside of your missile range, open the combat tab after this (make sure to open it AFTER you get the contacts in your FC range), then assign targets to fire control systems like you would assign launchers, in the bottom left. Once you're in range and targets are assigned for all ships, click the Open Fire button for the FLEET controls. Advance a five-second tick. If the missiles launched, have the ships cease fire, otherwise you'll get constant interrupts from your ships about not being able to fire while reloading, which will keep you from advancing time in any reasonable amount. Keep in mind how long your launchers take to reload, and be ready to open up the combat tab again shortly before that, and then fire again.

Also, sometimes the game gets buggy and has contacts disappear; just advance a five second tick.

Remember, ALWAYS close the combat window after actions, as it needs to be refreshed to be accurate. So if you keep it open after launch, and your launchers take 200s to reload, and you go back 3 minutes later, it will still say Reloading (200s), but if you close it and reopen it they will register as ready to fire. Also, ALWAYS remember to cease fire after a launch, or the game will be pretty much unplayable because it will interrupt all turns to tell you that the launchers are reloading.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: August 28, 2011, 02:37:20 pm »

I am curious...when I unselect the real naming option...everything is still named and what not...also when I select the heating/cooling disaster...it doesn't activate...what am I missing?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: August 28, 2011, 02:37:20 pm »

lol, civilian mining complexes AI needs some work.

A tiny asteroid with hardly any minerals keeps getting expanded over and over. It's up to 44 mining complexes, and there is a grand total of 5 minerals left on the planet (next 5 day tick and they're gone). 5 days pass, and they expand the mining complex to 45 at the same time the rock completely runs out of minerals. 5 more days and they close up shop.

If they had to consume minerals to build these mining complexes they'd have gone in the hole big time on that asteroid. 45 mining complexes is 450 automated mines and 45 mass drivers, thats 121,500 total minerals worth of buildings if I built them. The asteroid only had around 60,000 assorted minerals when it was first built on.
Do note that once they close up shop they move the complexes to other places. Expect a quicker then normal expansion rate the following cycles.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: August 28, 2011, 02:53:29 pm »

You need to activate your Active Sensors to be able to target them.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: August 28, 2011, 03:17:21 pm »

Missiles were probably shot out of the sky.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: August 28, 2011, 03:31:27 pm »

Like I said, dozens of OOB'd ships with hundreds of box launchers. That'll oversaturate any PD, and if you're hitting with scores or hundreds of missiles you'll eventually hit the same point in the armor twice or thrice and break through.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 1347