Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810112 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6285 on: August 26, 2011, 05:48:36 pm »

I don't need a desktop scroller, 1920 x 1080 monitor ftw.

Also, I *think* you can insta-kill missiles with mesons.

All PD should be instakill on hit against missiles (in fact, ALL weapons should be), as I'm pretty sure that NPRs and spoilers don't make/have armored missiles. The only concern is optimizing range and tracking speed, which means that mesons are actually not very good for PD (at least until you hit the max range barrier for EW) because of their halved range. Your best bet would be 10cm railguns or 10cm laser turrets.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6286 on: August 26, 2011, 05:55:18 pm »

Nice part about mesons is they work in atmospheres, so I can even put them on my PDCs.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: August 26, 2011, 05:57:02 pm »

A question for people with experience with spoilers:

I know plasma torpedos and absorption shields can't be researched normally, so I assume they can only be found on spoiler ships. Can you salvage actual technical data (or can you dismantle salvaged components) to allow you to build your own, which seems logical, seeing as how there are options for them in the tech design window, or can you only use captured components in your ships?

3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6288 on: August 26, 2011, 06:02:12 pm »

You can salvage and research your own. Back when he first added Wormholes I played a game and managed to salvage some. If I remember correctly after taking apart a number of the parts you unlock the tech and research it. Just make sure you bring the components to where you want to research, since it's planet specific. I seem to recall it taking a lot of salvage and having to unlock each tech one at a time in between researching, although that might have changed since then.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: August 26, 2011, 06:09:30 pm »

Still, at least I can research it.  :)

On another note: I didn't mean to imply that mesons are useless or anything. They're the best when it comes to PDFs and EW-armed FACs or fighters, because they aren't reduced by atmosphere and autopenetrate armor and shields. They just aren't good for ship-based PD.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: August 26, 2011, 06:19:03 pm »

Hah! Apparently when I recaptured my colony in Wolf 424 2 transports surrendered, containing:
10x Assault Infantry Batt.
10x Marine Batt.

The ships themselves have high-grade ECM and better engines than me. Any way I can dismantle them and recover all their components, as opposed to scuttling and then salvaging them?

3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: August 26, 2011, 06:37:33 pm »

Yeah, go to a shipyard of sufficent size and scrap them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: August 26, 2011, 06:43:14 pm »

Mesons are decent PD, if for no other reason then once they run out of missiles you can close to range and your PD turns into an absolutely devastating anti-ship weapon. Every other PD weapon will be blocked so badly by armor that it will be near useless but meson PD will shred them.

That's not to say it's always the best choice for PD, or that closing to PD range with the enemy will always be possible (or desirable) just that it's a very strong point in favor of meson PD and something to be considered when making your choice
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: August 26, 2011, 06:44:42 pm »

Also, if the opponent ever use armored missiles, and you don't have mesons, you're screwed.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: August 26, 2011, 06:53:56 pm »

How exactly does one build installations on Earth when starting as a conventional empire?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: August 26, 2011, 07:30:29 pm »

Uh-oh. The 2nd Destroyer Squadron recently entered the Epsilon Indi system to investigate reports of a EM signature on the third planet. Proceeding in-system with sensors activated, the four Tigris II class destroyers registered a thermal contact of 7818 on Epsilon Indi III, and moments later 12 contacts estimated at 1000 tons, grouped together and proceeding at 2500km/s toward the squadron. Assuming that this is the maximum speed of the alien contacts, the Tigris II's have an approximate speed advantage of 530km/s, meaning that, barring any long-range capability, which seems unlikely on such small ships, they can outrun their enemies if the field turns against them.

Rear Admiral Munir Hadad, the squadron commander, orders his ships to close to 120 million kilometers, 30 million kilometers inside of their own maximum missile engagement range, due to his experiences combatting the Wolf 424 aliens, who had powerful ECM. He orders each of his ships to target seperate targets, as such small contacts seem unlikely to possess powerful PD systems. As the Tigris II was designed to be a versatile stopgap to fill the fleet until the next generation of designs, it is an entirely self-dependent class, equipped with 10 size-9 missile launchers, 2 fire control systems, 4 CIWS, and deep enough magazines to hold 13 volleys worth of missiles. As such, the combined weight of fire fielded by the four destroyers can be brought to bear against 8 of the 12 targets. However, their magazines were severely depleted after the bombardment of an alien outpost; Rear Admiral Hadad orders his ships to conserve ammunition, launching only 1 volley at each target. As the ships fire, they engage their shield systems. These are the first Federation ships equipped with the newly designed "Alpha Shields", and none of the captains are sure of their exact strength.

As the first volley strikes home, the sensors of DS2 detect the detonation of all missiles, as well as one strength-1 power system explosion. Multiple lifepod launches are detected. However, the Indus, Amazon, Nile and Yangtze have fired their last missiles. The remaining 4 ships are still closing.

Fortunately, at this point the two newly constructed additions to the 1st Destroyer Squadron, the Thames and the Mississippi, enter firing range. They are both fully stocked with Hermes-9a antiship missiles, and although their sisters Tigris and Euphrates are still in the yards being refitted for the second generation of their class, the Thames and Mississippi, like the other ships of their class, are equipped with twin fire control systems. They launch 4 seperate volleys of 5 missiles, one at each of the enemy contacts. Meanwhile, the Kobold is dispatched from Sol to salvage the wrecks.

The second volley strikes home, destroying all 4 enemy contacts. The combined forces move in to rescue survivors. As atmospheric plumes were detected prior to destruction, it is assumed that these are not the same robotic foes as the aliens in the Wolf 424 system. After recovery, the survivors will be transferred to the Kobold and returned to Earth for interrogation at the hands of an expert team. The Mississippi and Thames will move in to bombard the enemy world while DS2 returns to Tau Ceti III for resupply and refueling, before continuing on to Sol for rearmament.

3. Run Resize Enable

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: August 26, 2011, 08:02:18 pm »

How exactly does one build installations on Earth when starting as a conventional empire?

You need to research trans-Newtonian materials (or something like that) first. I believe it's under propulsion but I'm not 100% sure. Before you research that, you're highly limited in what you can build.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: August 26, 2011, 08:15:18 pm »

It's under Construction/Production.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: August 26, 2011, 08:51:16 pm »

I noticed my missiles self-destruct if their target is destroyed before they hit it.

If I add onboard sensors, will they acquire a new target automatically (assuming the sensor picks it up, of course)? If so, do missiles have IFF so they don't blow up my own ships on accident?

This things are too expensive to shoot off into space to self-destruct themselves :(

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: August 26, 2011, 08:52:44 pm »

IIRC, adding sensors will allow a missile to re-acquire a target.
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 1347