Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810092 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6255 on: August 26, 2011, 02:26:41 pm »

It's used for producing things. Each construction point (or research point, or shipbuilding point.... etc) costs money... I think it's 10 points = 1 spacebuck but I'm not really sure.

so the more factories you have, the more your expenses. The more labs you have... etc.

Edit: when it runs out you just produce slower, the deeper in debt you are the slower you produce, so it's sort of a self correcting problem after a while you produce so little you break even and just hang there deep in debt.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: August 26, 2011, 02:29:54 pm »

It's used for producing things. Each construction point (or research point, or shipbuilding point.... etc) costs money... I think it's 10 points = 1 spacebuck but I'm not really sure.

so the more factories you have, the more your expenses. The more labs you have... etc.

Edit: when it runs out you just produce slower, the deeper in debt you are the slower you produce, so it's sort of a self correcting problem after a while you produce so little you break even and just hang there deep in debt.

Ooooh, I thought construction/research/etc points were naturally produced over time by their facilities, I didn't think they actually cost money for some reason.. I shall have to factor that in, thank you!
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: August 26, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »

They are produced, but you need to pay your workers, don't you?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: August 26, 2011, 02:41:58 pm »

Well, production and research don't stop, but the respective rates slow down.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: August 26, 2011, 03:01:14 pm »

So apparently Venus was invaded, I landed troops which were somehow turned to the alien side, and then eventually killed them (They were 5 of my 6 HVAs), and then Venus was apparently cloned, with one having no installations, infrastructure or colonists, but also not labelled as 'occupied', while the other was occupied and had all my stuff. I deleted the occupied one, so that "fixed" the issue.

And now civ colony ships are dropping colonists onto a Venus with no infrastructure, creating unrest, they all die, lowering it, and then more get dropped off... Time to sieze all my commercial shipping.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6260 on: August 26, 2011, 03:04:11 pm »

You said venus was 'cloned'. are you sure you didn't take over an alien colony which was also on venus?

To fix the dying colonists issue, drop a shitload of infrastructure there or set it as a source of colonists instead of a destination.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: August 26, 2011, 03:33:18 pm »

whats a good setup for a highly militaristic game? I assume bunched up systems, lots of NPRs?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: August 26, 2011, 03:38:09 pm »

And the three kind of spoiler. I'd suggest a large initial tech boost, so you can stand against the Wormhole spoilers.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: August 26, 2011, 03:46:27 pm »

so...I have more questions. Thankfully the galactic map one was answered a few pages back (much obliged)

Okay, fighters & beam weapons & life support. So I want to make a beam'd fighter, but that means I need a power plant. If I add a power plant it's no longer considered a fighter. Same thing with life support.

Second question: how do you transport PDCs? I've built some prefab ones I want to move over to one of my colonies, yet I can't actually select them from the f12 menu, and I can't see where they might appear.
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6264 on: August 26, 2011, 04:04:16 pm »

This thing is really, really buggy. I know it supposedly doesn't work well in Win7, but even in XP, some of the menu bar items cause it to error out or crash.

Misc.
>Win 95 Calculator : does nothing
>Compact Database : infinite error loop
>Refresh all : Error and close
>Star Type : Error and close

Calculations
> Loadout Calculation : infinite error loop

Anyone else see this?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: August 26, 2011, 04:16:10 pm »

so...I have more questions. Thankfully the galactic map one was answered a few pages back (much obliged)

Okay, fighters & beam weapons & life support. So I want to make a beam'd fighter, but that means I need a power plant. If I add a power plant it's no longer considered a fighter. Same thing with life support.

Second question: how do you transport PDCs? I've built some prefab ones I want to move over to one of my colonies, yet I can't actually select them from the f12 menu, and I can't see where they might appear.

Except for the flavor, I wouldn't bother. beam-weapon fighters are far more bulky (except at extreme tech levels) then missile-armed fighters. They'll also die long before they get into range of an enemy ship.

However, if you want to build one:

For a fighter, you need a fighter engine, command module, small or tiny-capacity fuel tank and small, tiny or fighter- type maintenance. You also need a beam weapon control with the fighter checkmark, and a power plant that will produce enough power every 5 seconds to allow you to fire the smallest beam weapon possible.

edit:
what you might be running into is your fighter going over-sized. If you post the information for your in-progress fighter, people here should be able to tell you why it's getting flagged not-a-fighter.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:20:34 pm by Hanzoku »

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: August 26, 2011, 04:33:37 pm »

Kunai class Fighter    455 tons     15 Crew     163.9 BP      TCS 9.1  TH 57.5  EM 0
12637 km/s     Armour 1-5     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 6
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 91%    IFR 1.3%    1YR 30    5YR 453    Max Repair 44 MSP

FTR Inertial Confinement Fusion Drive E280 (1)    Power 115.2    Fuel Use 2800%    Signature 57.6    Armour 0    Exp 80%
Fuel Capacity 10,000 Litres    Range 1.4 billion km   (31 hours at full power)

15cm C1 Soft X-ray Laser (FTR) (2)    Range 64,000km     TS: 12637 km/s     Power 6-1     RM 6    ROF 30        6 6 6 6 6 6 0 0 0 0
Fire Control S01.5 32-6000 H70 (FTR) (1)    Max Range: 64,000 km   TS: 24000 km/s     84 69 53 37 22 6 0 0 0 0

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes

Currently lacking a power plant, as despite the screen claiming it's only 50 tonnes and 5 crew, adding it increases weight by 100 and crew by 40...
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6267 on: August 26, 2011, 04:35:29 pm »

Should be its own order type, something like 'load pdc prefab components'

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: August 26, 2011, 04:48:57 pm »

You said venus was 'cloned'. are you sure you didn't take over an alien colony which was also on venus?

To fix the dying colonists issue, drop a shitload of infrastructure there or set it as a source of colonists instead of a destination.

What happened was: I had a small colony on Venus, which was invaded by aliens. I transported some HV Assault battalions to Venus, which were accidentally added to the alien forces. I moved more troops there, eventually killing off all of the enemy forces (and my former HVYA batts., giving me messages about the commanders of those being killed in action or surviving the destruction of their unit.) Up to this point, in the Economics tab there had only been one listing for Venus, my colony. As soon as I defeated the last alien unit, there were two listings, one with all of the installations and colonists I had there before the invasion, which was now tagged as 'occupied' and was generating unrest due to occupation. There was also a new second tab with no structures or colonists, essentially what it looked like the moment I claimed Venus, before anything had been moved there. There was not and never had been an alien colony; when I recaptured my own colony it was treated as hostile, and the population as alien civilians under my control, rather than as a liberated human population. The species for the colony was listed as 'human' throughout the whole event.

The constant unrest message spam bugged me, so I deleted the "occupied" colony, with the unfortunate side effect of also deleting the colonists and installations I had there. That was the point where civilian ships started taking colonists there in the repeating cycle of unrest and death, which I solved by siezing all civilian colony ships and obsoleting the colony ship design.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: August 26, 2011, 04:59:50 pm »

Okay, one semilegal question here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apart from wasting money on it, that is.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1347