Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810357 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6165 on: August 25, 2011, 05:19:15 pm »

How does anyone learn to play this game? I've read through the tutorials on their forum but it only skips over topics and completely misses out ground troops, trading, interacting with aliens, combat, ground troops and politics! Do people just learn through trial and error?
And asking the forums/this forum.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: August 25, 2011, 05:22:19 pm »

Ok, how on earth do I do the stuff that I mentioned in my previous post? :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: August 25, 2011, 05:22:30 pm »

How does anyone learn to play this game? I've read through the tutorials on their forum but it only skips over topics and completely misses out ground troops, trading, interacting with aliens, combat, ground troops and politics! Do people just learn through trial and error?

And as for interaction with aliens, in the current version the only form this takes is hundreds of nuclear warheads.

But yeah, trial and error and spamming questions on this thread.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: August 25, 2011, 05:25:06 pm »

Well, I know for a fact ground troops combat other ground troops of a hostile race, can be used to board and they lower unrest (probably because they shoot troublemakers)

I'm not sure what you want to know about the rest.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: August 25, 2011, 05:29:28 pm »

And as for interaction with aliens, in the current version the only form this takes is hundreds of nuclear warheads.

That made me laugh harder than I think it's safely sane to admit.

Anyways, how do you build fighters? As in, wee buggers that can get launched from other ships and by the looks of things get produced via your industry as opposed to your shipyards?
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: August 25, 2011, 05:29:37 pm »

Ground troops: Economics window, GU training tab lets you train units. You need to research these in the Logistics/Ground Combat focus. Ground Units tab lets you view and manage troop activity. For the most part they're automated, unless you are attacking or moving into/out of PDCs, which have fairly obvious controls at the bottom of this tab. You can assign commanders in the "Commanders" window.

Trading is only relevant in terms of civilian shipping, which will automatically establish itself as you build colonies, and wil provide you with a modest amount of additional income.

As before, alien interacting = blowing them up, at least for now.

Ground combat is done with the Ground Units tab of the Economics window, with the little 'initiate ground combat' dropdown window. To do this you need to have forces on the same world as hostile ground units. You can build troop transports and use the Task Groups/Fleet Orders window to order them to pick up, transport and unload units.

Politics are nonexistant. You assign ship captains, colony governors and ground unit commanders through the Commanders window. You assign scientists to projects in the research tab. Each commander will have their own bonuses; try to assign them accordingly.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: August 25, 2011, 05:31:11 pm »

Anyways, how do you build fighters? As in, wee buggers that can get launched from other ships and by the looks of things get produced via your industry as opposed to your shipyards?

Insane laughter is never a bad thing.

Also, Industry tab of economics window. Click the Fighter Production bar, select a fighter class from the dropdown menu (which you need to have designed), and then place the order.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: August 25, 2011, 05:31:16 pm »

I have a rather uncommon question, does nuclear bombardment lower the surface temperature of a planet? You would think it would...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6173 on: August 25, 2011, 05:38:47 pm »

Please tell me that finding two systems in a row with 4 stars isn't normal.  :o
If you have it set not to use real star systems then anything can be normal because the random generator is random. Entirely random. In an entirely random system no two occurances are 'normal' or 'abnormal'

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: August 25, 2011, 05:39:37 pm »

I have a rather uncommon question, does nuclear bombardment lower the surface temperature of a planet? You would think it would...
It those, it also causes radiation that lowers population growth
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: August 25, 2011, 05:40:21 pm »

Insane laughter is never a bad thing.

Also, Industry tab of economics window. Click the Fighter Production bar, select a fighter class from the dropdown menu (which you need to have designed), and then place the order.

I gathered that it would have to be designed, but I don't know how to make a ship classified so. I know that the Hull type is only a cosmetic thing. Do you have to give it a fighter-specific engine, and fighter-specific weapons systems and such?
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6176 on: August 25, 2011, 05:41:07 pm »

Give it a fighter engine and it's a fighter so long as it's not over a certain size. (250 tons maybe?)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: August 25, 2011, 05:41:20 pm »

I thought it lowered industrial capacity?
Give it a fighter engine and it's a fighter so long as it's not over a certain size. (250 tons maybe?)
Or 1000, if you think you can manage that many hangars on a ship. (Provided there isn't some size threshold for 'fighters' beyond 1000 tons...)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:44:31 pm by Jacob/Lee »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6178 on: August 25, 2011, 05:43:46 pm »

I mean I think there is a certain tonnage limit for fighters and gunboats beyond which its no longer considered a fighter/gb

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: August 25, 2011, 05:44:04 pm »

I thought it lowered industrial capacity?
Or 1000, if you think you can manage that many hangars on a ship.

1000 would be closer to a heavy FAC for me...  :P

But yeah, strap on a fighter engine and a few small box launchers or a railgun/laser/meson/whatever, and you should be good.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1347