Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810391 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6135 on: August 25, 2011, 03:21:19 pm »

I wait til my geo-team is at 200. The basic, if you're lucky, is usually 100-120
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6136 on: August 25, 2011, 03:25:15 pm »

What constitutes a high-level geo team? What level or percentage or whatever am I looking for?

Also, right now, I'm not short on minerals. I'm only barely off the ground as it is. :U
Train your geo team first. Make every single planet in the solar system a colony, even if it doesn't have minerals, and send your geology team to each one. You will find some small mineral resources and they will skill up. Do the same for all of the planets in the next system, etc. Do the planet with the most resources last.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: August 25, 2011, 03:27:58 pm »

For the sum of the 5.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: August 25, 2011, 03:28:39 pm »

Sheb beat me to it, that dastardly guy.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: August 25, 2011, 03:40:54 pm »

Yeah, just drop them wherever you want a geo survey done. And asteroid take ages to survey for some reasons. They're not worth it.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6140 on: August 25, 2011, 04:11:51 pm »

sometimes wrecks are just remnants of old empires and old battles with no living remainder to threaten you. Build a fleet and salvage that shit for the glory of Rome, or whatever your empire is called.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: August 25, 2011, 04:21:19 pm »

But quite often, they are precursors lying around. Scout the system first.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: August 25, 2011, 04:34:45 pm »

But if it looks clear, make sure to research a salvage module and get a salvager (with a salvage module and cargo holds) to the wrecks. If you get any ship components they'll likely be higher tech than you, so have the salvager unload them at Earth. Then, go to your industry tab, click "Stockpile", and DISMANTLE the components. If the first one gives you a popup sayiing that no useful data was obtained, scrap the rest, otherwise keep dismantling, which gives points toward relevant techs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: August 25, 2011, 04:41:04 pm »

Yeah, if cargo ships are in the same TG (or anything with a hold, actually) they will be added to the limit.

I don't think anything modifies the rate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: August 25, 2011, 04:47:56 pm »

More civ ships are good. They help transport stuff, and they distract invaders.

Also, my first salvage ship has come off of the slipway. The name of this ship? The Kobold:D

The best part was that that was actually the random name that came up when I genned a new name for the class.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: August 25, 2011, 04:48:34 pm »

More civ ships are good. They help transport stuff, and they distract invaders.

Also, my first salvage ship has come off of the slipway. The name of this ship? The Kobold:D

The best part was that that was actually the random name that came up when I genned a new name for the class.
What theme?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6146 on: August 25, 2011, 04:49:05 pm »

Oh hey, forgot to mention a very useful tip - you can significantly increase the speed of ship construction if you build components using your planetary industry. In the construction options just select ship components and build whatever the ship requires (you can check your design screen and see a list of everything by cost on the component summary page, can sort it by cost on the right).

If your planet has a decent amount of industry (Earth should) you can build the components way, way faster than the shipyard takes to build them by itself. When you go to construct the ship the components are automatically used, and the shipyard produces whatever is left.

Using this I can build engines and terraformer modules via industry and churn out my 135,000 ton terraformer ships in 9 months instead of 6 years.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: August 25, 2011, 04:52:23 pm »

Also- the civilians are going nuts. They've more ships than I do and churn out another one every two or three months.

My civilians made 250+ ships (and they keep making them every now and then), I can't even really view sol anymore on the starmap because it's just full of civilian ship names and it lags bad. :(

I'm considering just using the tractor "exploit" (tractoring civilian ship makes it yours) to hoover them all up and dismantle them since civilian shipping is just a small minority of my economy at this point (less then 5%)

As for the prebuilding components thing, yeah that's VERY VERY VERY useful for commercial ships, because it's bugged and they only build at half rate no matter what (they should build much, much faster based on their size). Building civ ships without prebuilding the components is just horrible. Too bad you can't prebuild cargo holds and fuel storage and such :(

Edit: I'm pretty sure the components have to be built before you start constructing the ship. Telling the shipyard to make a ship then using industry to make, for example, engines will not speed it up, you have to build then engines first THEN tell the shipyard to construct the ship.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:54:51 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: August 25, 2011, 04:52:57 pm »

Ground troops via transport/dropship, and/or military (armed) ships in orbit.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: August 25, 2011, 04:54:11 pm »

Ground troops don't work, but any ship/PDC in the system work. Civilian just like big guns, so if you want to have cheap protection, just build some ICBM PDC.

Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 1347