Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808545 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6060 on: August 24, 2011, 04:29:25 pm »

I can't seem to find any aliens in my latest game. Explored all the Sol jump points and a few of the jumps off of them, several totally empty systems and several systems with prospective colonies. Still only 12 years in (haven't even got any out of system colonies up and running yet, although the Mars and Mercury colonies are thriving) but I usually end up finding something in the nearby systems by now :D I wanted to have something for my little low tech fleet to get massacred by. Not even any ruins on any of the worlds.

My ships are all 100% task force training and just sitting around getting refitted to newer models every so often, draining resources on maintenance. I've already changed their missile loadouts twice to newer variants just in case I find something.

Theres an NPR out there somewhere (started with 1), I only set it to a max of 50 systems so maybe I'll run into him soon. Went through a short run of 5 sec turns earlier, so at least it found something to fight.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: August 24, 2011, 04:31:50 pm »

You'll find them, be patient. Took me going through 20 systems last game to end up murderrapedwtfpwned by aliens, whereas my last game I found aliens on all 3 sides and steadily held my ground against them.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: August 24, 2011, 04:32:31 pm »

Nevermind, I am a complete idiot - I misunderstood and thought the available space was the amount of space that had been used up.

it actually only filled a tiny percent of my cargo holds.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: August 24, 2011, 04:34:36 pm »

I can't seem to find any aliens in my latest game. Explored all the Sol jump points and a few of the jumps off of them, several totally empty systems and several systems with prospective colonies. Still only 12 years in (haven't even got any out of system colonies up and running yet, although the Mars and Mercury colonies are thriving) but I usually end up finding something in the nearby systems by now :D I wanted to have something for my little low tech fleet to get massacred by. Not even any ruins on any of the worlds.

My ships are all 100% task force training and just sitting around getting refitted to newer models every so often, draining resources on maintenance. I've already changed their missile loadouts twice to newer variants just in case I find something.

Theres an NPR out there somewhere (started with 1), I only set it to a max of 50 systems so maybe I'll run into him soon. Went through a short run of 5 sec turns earlier, so at least it found something to fight.

Lucky you, I always seem to run into the first NPR inside of a year...

As for what you can do, close out your windows, go to "Game Info" and up the chances of finding a new NPR on habitable planets to something like 80-100%, although this means that you're going to not get any new colony worlds, and you're going to build up enemies really fast.

Edit: Okay, what?

"34th Engineer Brigade has recovered 9x Ion Engine E0 on Mars". So those engines have zero efficiency? So they use fuel without actually providing power? Useful!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:40:03 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6064 on: August 24, 2011, 04:45:35 pm »

Nah, don't want a bunch of NPRs clogging up the place slowing down my game. Theres at least one out there, I'll find him eventually.

Mostly looking for the special enemies, like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They're fun to fight against and usually don't slow the game down like excessive NPRs can do. I want to test out my little fleet against them, and building up to fend off something would give me something to do other than building an ever increasing fleet of terraformers. I'm thinking about going nuts and trying to terraform Venus after I get a decent base of colonies, even though there are other worlds much easier to terraform. Already got Mercury and Mars liveable, Mars is at 0 cost and Mercury will be there soon - and there are several in nearby systems with costs of 2 or less that I just haven't got around to colonizing yet since I haven't quite finished the jumpgates.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: August 24, 2011, 04:52:20 pm »

The most fun you can have with
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is feeding them ships over long periods of time, and then building your 200,000 ton Superdreadnoughts and curbstomping masses of them. At least for me...  :P

SQUEE

So it turns out that the abandoned colony on Tau Ceti III belonged to a TL3 civ called the Kingdom of Angelique, and is composed of 559 installations!  :D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:55:31 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: August 24, 2011, 04:58:43 pm »

As for what you can do, close out your windows, go to "Game Info" and up the chances of finding a new NPR on habitable planets to something like 80-100%, although this means that you're going to not get any new colony worlds, and you're going to build up enemies really fast.

"34th Engineer Brigade has recovered 9x Ion Engine E0 on Mars". So those engines have zero efficiency? So they use fuel without actually providing power? Useful!

Wrong, it provides 100% power at 0% (bonus) efficiency. Each bonus makes it 110, 120, etc.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: August 24, 2011, 05:08:26 pm »

Wrong, it provides 100% power at 0% (bonus) efficiency. Each bonus makes it 110, 120, etc.

Oh, okay, because I was assuming it was following the autoname conventions for engines (I.e. Ion Engine E5 for mil/Ion Engine E0.5 for civ, etc).

Also, thank you Armstrong Limited Shipping Lines, that 250 passenger lux liner is really helping the colonial effort. Although I can't hate on them too much, they delivered that terraforming facility really fast.

Also: Centaurus has no habitable planets, no significant resources, and no other JPs besides the one from Sol. What can I do with it, apart from deleting and genning a new system?

Okay, and Sigma Draconis is exactly the same, except for the hostile contacts.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:23:03 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: August 24, 2011, 05:34:34 pm »

On August 22nd, 2027, the survey ship Heroina 003 registered a thermal contact in the Sigma Draconis system, of strength 1600, with an observed speed of 5442km/s. She attempted to reach the jump point, but was overrun and destroyed. 124 survivors made it to the life pods. The entirety of human military force, consisting of two destroyers, the Tigris and the Euphrates are en route to the Sigma Draconis system. These ships are nearly obsolete, dating more than 6 years back, and were the only ships constructed after the Unification War, as the horrors of that conflict were still fresh in many minds. It may be that humanity will come to regret this pacifistic stance, with an unknown hostile force a single jump away from Sol, and no more than two destroyers capable of a mere 2647km/s, barely half of the enemy contact, with thin armor, no antimissile defences, and only 6 launchers per ship. The force will reach the jump point in slightly less than 20 days. In the meantime, designs are already being laid for a total reboot of the shipbuilding program.

Although the two ships of the Sol defense force were horribly outdated, they still performed admirably. The enemy ship was discovered to have substantial ECM systems, reducing the effective range of the destroyers to 78 million kilometers. However, it appeared that the enemy ship had sacrificed striking force for speed, ECM and PD. The Tigris and Euphrates launched at 75 million kilometers, and the captain of the Tigris gave the order for rapid fire until the magazines of both ships were empty. This put out a total of 134 Striker-9 missiles in 11 volleys, compared to four volleys of 64 size-3 missiles from the enemy ship. The first 2 volleys either were intercepted by enemy CIWS, missed, or impacted on armor. The third wave impacted, and the enemy ship lost speed. From this point on, there was a consistent intercept rate of 5 out of the 12 missiles of each volley. As the fourth volley impacted, the enemy ship suffered a significant reduction in thermal signature, and the enemy missiles disappeared from sensors, indicating that either their targetting control or active sensor had been damaged or destroyed. From this point on it was simply a matter of wearing down their armor. With the impact of the 6th volley, the enemy ship detonated. No life pods were detected. A salvage ship was deployed to recover the wreck, and the Tigris and Euphrates were recalled to Earth for resupply, refueling and rearmament.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:58:49 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: August 24, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »

The way you were talking about no ships being built reminded me of the Forerunners from Halo lore.

In short, they thought they didn't need weapons after they had a peaceful empire controlling much of the galaxy so they disarmed, which weakened them massively when the Flood came knocking.

I dislike the Star Swarm now, they caused this horrendous bug while the elusive **SPOILER**4th class**SPOILER** was constantly getting rammed by a precursor to no effect. I nuked all the Swarm and Precursors after that then turned all of them off.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: August 24, 2011, 06:11:56 pm »

Literally nuked? Because with the *spoilers*fourth class*spoilers* that'd take a while.  :P

On another note, is there a way to reverse-engineer tech from salvaged wrecks? Because that ship I killed had pretty good ECM, as well as an Internal Confinement Fusion Drive, and I'm currently on Ion Engines.

Oh, and the whole backstory reason is just BS because I haven't researched any decent miltech, and because I'm putting all my resources into colonization.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6071 on: August 24, 2011, 06:13:09 pm »

Literally nuked? Because with the *spoilers*fourth class*spoilers* that'd take a while.  :P

On another note, is there a way to reverse-engineer tech from salvaged wrecks? Because that ship I killed had pretty good ECM, as well as an Internal Confinement Fusion Drive, and I'm currently on Ion Engines.
Take the components to your research world and drop them there then from the stockpile dismantle them. You'll get research points towards the tech for each one you dismantle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: August 24, 2011, 06:13:39 pm »

Take the components to your research world and drop them there then from the stockpile dismantle them

Thanks!

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6073 on: August 24, 2011, 06:15:28 pm »

Take the components to your research world and drop them there then from the stockpile dismantle them

Thanks!
Note that you don't want to SCRAP them. Scrapping gives you resources but not tech, I believe.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: August 24, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »

Thanks!
Note that you don't want to SCRAP them. Scrapping gives you resources but not tech, I believe.

That won't be a problem, as I can't even locate the stockpile.

(PS WHERE IS THE STOCKPILE WINDOW)

/whisper
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:23:41 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 1347