Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808789 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5940 on: August 23, 2011, 03:52:12 am »

You need to first have construction facilities on Mars to build. And the needed minerals. Factories aren't made from thin air, you know*.

*Infrastructure can be made from thin air, though.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5941 on: August 23, 2011, 03:52:57 am »

you can ship construction facilities there (by civilian contract, or by your freighters), or get soem built by engi team (they act as a construction facility, IIRC) ;)

Tarran => He said he doesn't understand how to build anything on mars, because building contruction facilities need construction facilities on the planet. It's a vicious circle !
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:54:51 am by tompliss »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5942 on: August 23, 2011, 03:53:45 am »

Transport some over, either using a freighter of your own or telling the civilians to do it for you. The second is done in the F2 (Population and Production) window, under Civilians / Ind Status. You will need to set up a supply order on Earth and a demand order on Mars. After that it is just time, although you won't recieve a message when the civilians are done.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5943 on: August 23, 2011, 04:10:13 am »

Transport some over, either using a freighter of your own or telling the civilians to do it for you. The second is done in the F2 (Population and Production) window, under Civilians / Ind Status. You will need to set up a supply order on Earth and a demand order on Mars. After that it is just time, although you won't recieve a message when the civilians are done.

Okay thanks. I've set up a supply/demand, so hopefully stuff will begin to happen.  So how would I go about with manually sending factoires using my ships? I believe I have a freighter or two produced.
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5944 on: August 23, 2011, 04:14:25 am »

to ship some construction facitities :
send your freghter TG (TaskGroup) to the Earth,
tell them to load construction facities,
tell them to unload on mars
refuel on Earth
/repeat.

If you want civilian to help you, I think you need to "lock" a freighter design, in the ship design window (it means you can't change it after, even if you can clone it then change the clone).

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: August 23, 2011, 04:17:42 am »

After 120 days, I finally got this game to work, and holy crap is the interface jammed packed with stuff.

I have a question as well. Is this guide out of date? There are things it tells me to do and windows it tells me to look at that just aren't there anymore.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5946 on: August 23, 2011, 04:33:06 am »

Edit: I'm an idiot. Looking at wrong tab.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:54:24 am by LuckyNinja »
Steam page!

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: August 23, 2011, 05:28:47 am »

If you want civilian to help you, I think you need to "lock" a freighter design, in the ship design window (it means you can't change it after, even if you can clone it then change the clone).

Locking doesn't affect which designs civs build, but marking a design obsolete will stop them (very useful when you need them to build something specific, as you can then un-obsolete the designs).

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: August 23, 2011, 06:33:43 am »

So...how do you get a fleet to train together? i've got them moving between places, but as of yet, no actual training...

Edit: Also, while I'm asking questions, how do you colonise a planet exaactly? I'm guessing there's ways of doing it without terraforming, as I tried loading up a colonist ship on earth, dropped them on Mars and I'm pretty sure they all died.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:40:52 am by LuckyNinja »
Steam page!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: August 23, 2011, 06:59:28 am »

Not sure about training, but make a lot of infrastructure and drop it on Mars. Then drop some colonists.

On the summary screen for Mars, you can see the amount of infrastructure needed to support a million people and the current population cap.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5950 on: August 23, 2011, 07:30:03 am »

Even with hostile environment, you should be able to drop a starter poulation prior to any infrastructure as long as the penalty isn't too high. If you try dropping them on say, Titan with no infrastructure, then yes they'll all die because the growth rate is something like -132%. So in the next 5-day segment, the population will be wiped out. But on a relatively mild planet like Mars, you'll only lose a portion of the population (and steadily generate unrest from overcrowding). Which allows you to get a seed population going, which will generate demand for infrastructure, which will cause civilian freighters to start moving it, which will eventually raise the population cap above the population, which will generate demand for more colonists.

Bottom line: to get the colony cycle going, you need to drop a seed population and keep maintaining it with follow-on loads of colonists until the cycle becomes self-sustaining enough. I suppose if you wanted to be more benevolent and not waste lives, you could use civilian contracts to move infrastructure and some factories/mines to a new colony prior to sending people.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: August 23, 2011, 07:37:11 am »

Locking doesn't affect which designs civs build, but marking a design obsolete will stop them (very useful when you need them to build something specific, as you can then un-obsolete the designs).

Yes it does, otherwise you would have civs building half-finished designs that don't have engines or something equally silly.
If you have built a design at a shipyard it should be locked.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: August 23, 2011, 08:03:25 am »

No, it definitly does not affect it, I can say that with certainty otherwise my civs would never build anything (I never bother to build a colony ship ever, let alone tool a shipyard for them, and plenty get built, and in my current game I can see about a dozen upgraded freighters when I still haven't gotten around to retooling my shipyard from the previous design).

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: August 23, 2011, 08:07:19 am »

Err, I tried using a freighter to drop infrastructure, but my people still died. So far there's about 5 million frozen corpses on Mars. How can you check to see how much of each installation you have on each planet?
Steam page!

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: August 23, 2011, 08:12:28 am »

Summary tab of Population and Production. You probably didn't have enough infrastructure for all your colonists, so look justt above where infrastructure is listed for how much you need for every million colonists. Note that civilians will automatically ship infrasctructure (and your colonies will automatically produce it for them (but not you)) to worlds that need it.
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 1347