Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808876 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5910 on: August 22, 2011, 07:51:28 pm »

TBH it sounds like Steve was a tad lazy and didn't code the game so that there is a condition (body must be player controlled colony) for the order to appear. It really isn't a big deal though, as long as you rename your worlds to be easily identifiable.

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking about doing a very nooby Let's Play with better writing and an actual plot (of sorts) to set it up. if there is any interest, and if classes permit. For one thing, you wouldn't have to suffer through any more switching between 1st and 3rd person perspective.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: August 22, 2011, 07:58:05 pm »

So uh, what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of box launchers?

I imagine they're like those things you find on helicopters so the ship needs to be in a hanger/at a planet to reload?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: August 22, 2011, 08:00:14 pm »

Yes that's it exactly (afaik, I've never made any)

They can't be self reloaded at all, they either have to be docked or orbiting a planet with a maintenance facility, and even then they take forever to reload (relatively speaking). On the plus side, they are very very small.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: August 22, 2011, 08:03:05 pm »

Alright laying the groundwork for my Flotilla Challenge that I plan to make into a AAR or Lets Play

will do a dud game with some criteria and then when I have that ironed out I will lay out the conditions and see what happens!

Seems I can do almost everything with a flotilla minus research and some other planet only stuff...but most importantly fuel can be harvested with a Sorium harvester at a gas giant (it apparently converts it to fuel automatically!)

This is looking more and more doable as time goes on.

Now I need to figure what is deadlier...sun heating or cooling...I assume heating...

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: August 22, 2011, 08:23:54 pm »

So uh, what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of box launchers?

I imagine they're like those things you find on helicopters so the ship needs to be in a hanger/at a planet to reload?

They're often used for fighters (which can be reloaded in their carrier's hangar) or system defense ships (which can reload at the colony). However, they shouldn't be underestimated; a dedicated box launcher setup can usually fit 8-10x as many launchers (1/6.67th the normal size, and no need for magazines) and fire them all at once; that will really put the hurt on whatever you're shooting at.

Alright laying the groundwork for my Flotilla Challenge that I plan to make into a AAR or Lets Play

will do a dud game with some criteria and then when I have that ironed out I will lay out the conditions and see what happens!

Seems I can do almost everything with a flotilla minus research and some other planet only stuff...but most importantly fuel can be harvested with a Sorium harvester at a gas giant (it apparently converts it to fuel automatically!)

Now I need to figure what is deadlier...sun heating or cooling...I assume heating...

There's been another attempt at something like that on the official forums, you might want to take a look at how they did it: The Battlestar Challenge

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: August 22, 2011, 08:35:36 pm »

Look at the temperature of Earth. Look at the heat tolerance range for humans. Which end of the range would take less change to reach? Pick that option for the sun.

PS ITS A TRICK COOLING AND HEATING WOULD TAKE THE SAME TIME

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: August 22, 2011, 08:38:19 pm »

Cooling is deadlier. You can pump unlimited Anti-Greenhouse gas until the temperature is literally below absolute zero, and you can keep going. Thus you will be safe for a VERY long time. You have a limit on how much greenhouse gas effects your planet: x3 base temp, no more.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: August 22, 2011, 08:39:23 pm »

Sun cooling is deadlier.

There is a max greenhouse factor of 3 for terraforming, and no maxmimum for anti-GHG (afaik). That means by running terraforming stations you could counteract sun heating longer then you can counteract sun cooling. The only reason you can't counteract sun heating forever is eventually there gets to be too much air pressure from all the anti-GHG :(

Come to think of it, between genetic modification and terraforming you could probably counteract even sun cooling for a really long time if you wanted to, though... especially if you don't mind moving everyone to mercury :D

Edit: ninja'd :(
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: August 22, 2011, 08:42:37 pm »

Better idea:  nuke the everliving shit out of Earth.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: August 22, 2011, 08:44:10 pm »

Come to think of it, between genetic modification and terraforming you could probably counteract even sun cooling for a really long time if you wanted to, though... especially if you don't mind moving everyone to mercury :D
Same with Titan for heating: It's got a very, very low base temp (95 K). You could live on Titan for quite a while.

And you can even go further to Trition with genetic engineering if you want to stay even longer. With a base temp of a mere 45 degrees K, it's not going to heat up for a very very long time.

Better idea:  nuke the everliving shit out of Earth.
That could work.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: August 22, 2011, 09:22:53 pm »

I am thinking of making the rules a bit different by having the start condition to be basic conventional start with a cooling sun and when it starts to be uninhabitable (no terraforming allowed if thats reasonable) thats when you gotta jump...errr..planet...after that it would follow the similar rules as the other one (no more colonizing and all that jazz)

I prefer this approach myself as you will have to research and build everything...adding a lot of replayability and what not.

Also adds the challenge of racing the clock at the start...and then its all based on what you have in the way of resources and stuff from there

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: August 22, 2011, 09:39:59 pm »

I feel lazy, I always have all jump points have gates on.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: August 22, 2011, 09:43:15 pm »

Okay, I just had my biggest derp in a while. I was thinking to myself "Self, why doesn't that missile design show up in the options for 2nd stage missiles?"

"Because you haven't researched it yet you twat!"

Also, how's this for a complete bastard: A size 25 2-stage that has a max range of 864m km, max velocity of 25600kps, has a CTH of 92.2% against ships moving at 10kps+, and releases 4 submunitions that, well, are even bigger bastards that I designed for my stealth corvettes.

They take more space than some entire components, they travel faster than most ships, they consume nearly a whole tank worth of fuel... and they are beautiful! And yes, they have no actual warhead. All those MSPs are going into endurance and speed.  :D

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 6    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 50
Speed: 40000 km/s    Endurance: 187 minutes   Range: 450.0m km
Cost Per Missile: 3.1667
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 2000%   3k km/s 650%   5k km/s 400%   10k km/s 200%
Materials Required:    1.5x Tritanium   1.4167x Gallicite   Fuel x625

Development Cost for Project: 317RP

Missile Size: 25 MSP  (1.25 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 36
Speed: 25600 km/s    Endurance: 562 minutes   Range: 864.0m km
Thermal Sensor Strength: 1.2    Detect Sig Strength 1000:  1,200,000 km
Cost Per Missile: 25.1835
Second Stage: Hermes-1 x4
Second Stage Separation Range: 150,000 km
Overall Endurance: 12 hours   Overall Range: 1314.0m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 921.6%   3k km/s 288%   5k km/s 184.3%   10k km/s 92.2%
Materials Required:    6x Tritanium   1.2x Uridium   32.0835x Gallicite   Fuel x30000

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: August 22, 2011, 09:45:22 pm »

...So it's a size 25 missile that fires out a bunch of tiny missiles?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: August 22, 2011, 09:55:06 pm »

...So it's a size 25 missile that fires out a bunch of tiny missiles?

From a very, very, very long way away. I love it because it is wasteful, oversized and likely useless.

Also, how to be a complete ass(?) to the NPRs, lesson one:

Fearless class Corvette    1,400 tons     115 Crew     1752.6 BP      TCS 28  TH 300  EM 0
14285 km/s     Armour 3-11     Shields 0-0     Sensors 96/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 3.75
Maint Life 6.32 Years     MSP 782    AFR 15%    IFR 0.2%    1YR 34    5YR 504    Max Repair 1080 MSP
Magazine 25   

GB Solid Core Anti-matter Drive E10 (1)    Power 400    Fuel Use 100%    Signature 300    Armour 0    Exp 15%

Size 1 Box Launcher (25)    Missile Size 1    Hangar Reload 7.5 minutes    MF Reload 1.2 hours
Missile Fire Control FC498-R20 (1)     Range 498.1m km    Resolution 20
Hermes-1 (25)  Speed: 40,000 km/s   End: 187.5m    Range: 450m km   WH: 6    Size: 1    TH: 666 / 400 / 200

Active Search Sensor MR531-R20 (1)     GPS 21600     Range 531.3m km    Resolution 20
Thermal Sensor TH4-96 (1)     Sensitivity 96     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  96m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 1347