Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813833 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5310 on: June 29, 2011, 02:45:48 am »

Nebula annoy me too, for similar reasons. The only thing it does is hinder you, without any interesting gameplay considerations.

Actually, nebulas are awesome, because they disable ALL missiles, and reduce sensor range proportional to the nebula strength.  Hence, nebulas are an entirely different combat environment.

Besides, nebulas are strictly optional.  They don't exist in the Real World option, and thus can be deleted with impunity when playing.  Still, precursors found in nebulas can provide an interesting change from standard precursor combat.
So they hinder everyone equally and disable the use of missiles. I guess that is slightly more interesting, but still rather dull.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: June 29, 2011, 04:58:36 am »

Anyways, just so this post is more than just me splitting hairs, I am as mentioned in the LP thread considering a multiplayer Aurora LP in a similar style, with those playing each nation giving me general instructions while I play things out. I've got a scenario nearly complete (has the buildings, technologies, and ships set up for each nation, just needs polishing), but am currently waiting to see if the current thread is dead.

A few details: Four nations, set up to encourage trading and diplomacy. US has the biggest starting military, European Union the most wealth, China the most population and production, and Japan the best tech (and all their mines start automated). There's a 30 year treaty enforced the prohibits fighting on or near Earth, to keep things from completely deteriorating, but I expect space colonization to get very Machiavellian.
I'd like to be part of the ''EU group'',
I assume you post a link here if you decide to start the thread? I don't know if I'll be very active, but it's an interesting idea ^^

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: June 29, 2011, 05:08:40 am »

Nebula annoy me too, for similar reasons. The only thing it does is hinder you, without any interesting gameplay considerations.

Actually, nebulas are awesome, because they disable ALL missiles, and reduce sensor range proportional to the nebula strength.  Hence, nebulas are an entirely different combat environment.

Besides, nebulas are strictly optional.  They don't exist in the Real World option, and thus can be deleted with impunity when playing.  Still, precursors found in nebulas can provide an interesting change from standard precursor combat.
So they hinder everyone equally and disable the use of missiles. I guess that is slightly more interesting, but still rather dull.

Considering missiles form the basis of non-JP ambush combat in Aurora, it's quite interesting.  Besides, the speed penalty can be negated by armor, although sensors will still suck.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: June 29, 2011, 05:10:54 am »

Yup, I basically lost a whole fleet due to not knowing what a nebula was at the time. (I didn't understand why I couldn't fire my missiles until someone explained it to me on the Aurora forums. By then it was too late...). I then had to build a new, specialized fleet from scratch, using whatever tech I could get, and waged a whole sub-campaign in a nebula. Interesting times...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: June 29, 2011, 09:05:57 pm »

A day went by with no response from the author of the previous multiplayer LP, so I started mine

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: June 29, 2011, 09:21:35 pm »

Sweet. Sign me up as a member of the American council. I can post in your thread as well, if you'd like.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: June 29, 2011, 09:27:52 pm »

Sweet. Sign me up as a member of the American council. I can post in your thread as well, if you'd like.

Please do. Also, if anyone wants to glance through the ship designs it might be helpful; I already discovered while writing the guide that I forgot reactors on the Chinese ships and had to redo them.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: June 30, 2011, 02:59:28 am »

Do you need a missile control for every missile you want to hit with AMM's?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5318 on: June 30, 2011, 03:01:34 am »

Do you need a missile control for every missile you want to hit with AMM's?
I believe you need one missile fire control per volley you wish to engage. A group of missiles listed as a single contact will be a single volley and can be engaged with one missile fire control

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: June 30, 2011, 05:23:01 am »

Ok, that sounds logical.
Is there any way to add another player race that I can control with SM mode? I want to play around with combat so I want to make some ships for the enemy in Jupiter or so, but I can't give ships do precursors or an NPR when creating a fleet with SM mode.
never-mind, Someone at the Aurora forum answered my question already :)
Steve has multiple powers in earth in his stories so I guess it is possible.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:12:24 am by Dutchling »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: June 30, 2011, 08:16:54 am »

in each game I create, after a few years I get many hundreds of 5 seconds turns, until I must give up and create another game. SM view says it may be 2 NPRs fighting. is there any way for me to fix that? Should I start with no NPR empires?

this is really driving me crazy. I can't do anything! why donět NPRs fight faster? it never takes me so much to finish a battle.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: June 30, 2011, 08:42:45 am »

You can use the "Auto Turns" option to keep going for the increment you gave, IIRC just check the box to the right of the time control and advance time .

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: June 30, 2011, 08:50:14 am »

that is how I am able to do hundreds of turns before giving up. I guess I'll have to add another 0 at the end of the number of autoturns...
I hope my computer can handle 200 turns together.

is there a way to use SM mode to see what is happening, and possibly delete the fighting ships? ( and empires and solar systems?)

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: June 30, 2011, 09:29:07 am »

that is how I am able to do hundreds of turns before giving up. I guess I'll have to add another 0 at the end of the number of autoturns...
I hope my computer can handle 200 turns together.

is there a way to use SM mode to see what is happening, and possibly delete the fighting ships? ( and empires and solar systems?)

Yup enter sm mode Look in the eventlog for fighting logs or you might have go forward a turn dunno
anyway doubeclick it and empire if you can or
Delete the solar system(might be you idea)
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: June 30, 2011, 10:17:04 am »

Missile launchers do not seem to have any melee capability.
How do I assign missiles to a ship (class)?
EDIT: Nevermind, I found it :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:23:13 am by Dutchling »
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1347